Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2016, 07:43   #1

Moorage in Morro Bay area

Hi all. I've just bought a Westsail 32 and, will be bringing her up from San Diego very shortly. I need that cheap mooring! Or a slip of its not too expensive. Please let me know of anything of the sort. I won't be living on it so, just a safe place to leave her is all I need. Please help my midlofe crisis continue smoothly!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 10-07-2016, 16:02   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Moorage in Morro Bay area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammy View Post
Hi all. I've just bought a Westsail 32 and, will be bringing her up from San Diego very shortly. I need that cheap mooring! Or a slip of its not too expensive. Please let me know of anything of the sort. I won't be living on it so, just a safe place to leave her is all I need. Please help my midlofe crisis continue smoothly!

We have been living aboard in Morro Bay on a mooring now for 3yrs...great place...cheap and VERY friendly harbor patrol.

There is always a mooring or two available for rent here in Morro Bay, I will head over to the Harbor Patrol office in the morning and get the contact numbers from the bulletin board for you. Also, you can easily sub-rent a slip (was $400/mo for our 50ft-er all inclusive) and you do that through the harbor patrol office as well.

Email me at SVThirdDay@yahoo.com and I will send you the info tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2016, 18:27   #3

Awesome, thank you!

Old 10-07-2016, 18:56   #4

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Can you put some piccys up of Morro bay as my cat lived there at one stage
years ago,
It is currently being repaired as I took the hulls out in a very bad storm, Thats why its up on the stands,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	centre boards 006.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	127657   Click image for larger version

Name:	centre boards 004.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	127658  

Old 10-07-2016, 19:00   #5

Of course I will! As soon as I get back up there. Gimme a week or two.
Old 11-07-2016, 17:16   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bingo....
Here is a 50ft mooring rental in Morro Bay for $385/mo
on Craigslist just popped up today.

There are also 3 big moorings rented out on a first come/first served basis by the Harbor Department to transient boats or to boats hanging out here as they wait to either go South/North or find a permanent spot. Polly in the harbor office said they are all open and just come into the office when you arrive and she will be happy to rent you one.

There is free anchoring in the harbor in the designated anchorage for 5 days, then it is like $10/day.

Let me also make a comment about Morro Bay that is FAR different than Harbors South of here...the Harbor Patrol actually LIKES you and wants you here. There isn't a "move on Hobo" attitude here that seems to get worse the closer to San Diego you get. The Harbor patrol folks are all nice, friendly without "safety" inspections designed to run you off and make you feel unwelcome. Of course they do a Die Tab in your holding tank like everywhere in CA, but there is an easy/Free pump out station that we use without drama.

As the SSCA (Seven Seas Cruising Association) Cruiser host in Morro Bay, be sure to call me when you get in and I will be happy to give you a tour, show you the best places to eat, or just answer questions over a beer.
Old 11-07-2016, 17:38   #7

Wow! Good lookin' out! I was just looking into Port of San Luis cause it's a little closer to me in Lompoc but, the first option you mentioned is attractive! I'd do the free mooring but, I'm pretty sure I'll be there for more than a month so, I assume the first option is cheaper in the long run? And, I will buy the first and, seventh round, sir!

Old 11-07-2016, 17:43   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We lived in Port San Luis for a year...nice but OPEN anchorage to the S storms and a crappy dinghy ladder dinghy dock set-up and parking on the weekends...well...forgetaboutit. There is a Free Anchorage there but services...there is no town in Avila Beach (Port San Luis) other than a small Tourist town or Cafes and Restaurants, so it's pricey and hard to get groceries without driving to San Luis about 20 miles away.

Morro Bay is one of the best kept secretes in California...opps....forget I posted anything about it...it's horrible...stay away...ha ha
Old 11-07-2016, 18:02   #9

Thanks for the heads up. I went into the harbor patrol office? And, they had numbers to call. I called a couple numbers before you responded and, got the opportunity to wait for them to call back. You've been so helpful! I was worried this would be difficult similar to SB. Thanks for all your info. I think you sold me on the extra 20 minute drive. Is the harbor office all the way down by the commercial part of the dock by where the coast guard boats are? When I googled it, Google directed me up the street away from the water. We ignored it and, walked up the shoreline like proper tourists.

Old 11-07-2016, 18:05   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, the Harbor Patrol Office is right next door to (East) of the USCG Office.
They are literally on the water outside their front door but have they do have a maintenance facility off water, that could be what Google was showing you.
Old 14-07-2016, 10:07   #11

So, Mr Third Day, I suppose you're a great guy to ask, how long is the upwind journey from San Diego to Morro Bay? And, Conception Point makes me a little nervous. Any tips on getting up there safely?

Old 14-07-2016, 12:15   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well we have made the Pt Conception rounding dozens of times and have found the best time is just before sunset. So you can time you departure from either Catalina or Santa Barbara if you plan to hit any of those spots accordingly. He good think about that trip is that the weather predicting is pretty darn good, so you should be surprised. Just take the wind predictions for Pt Conception and double them...that will be more accurate for what you will see in real life.

I've never made the trip in one straight shot always stopping in Ventura, Santa Barbara of the Channel Islands on the way.
Old 14-07-2016, 12:23   #13

So, an easy sail would take about 2 days then? I'm just a little intimidated, to be honest. I've sailed for about ten years all on dinghys and a small coastal swing keel. I race down in SB on a 33 footer but, this is my first tank. I would love to leave it in San Diego and feel her out for a while but, it's so expensive! I'm pondering asking someone with experience to come along. Am I being too cautious? I'm a fairly competent sailor. Its just so darn big!

Old 14-07-2016, 14:37   #14

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammy View Post
So, an easy sail would take about 2 days then? I'm just a little intimidated, to be honest. I've sailed for about ten years all on dinghys and a small coastal swing keel. I race down in SB on a 33 footer but, this is my first tank. I would love to leave it in San Diego and feel her out for a while but, it's so expensive! I'm pondering asking someone with experience to come along. Am I being too cautious? I'm a fairly competent sailor. Its just so darn big!

Nammy, hope you don't mind me jumping in. I was a new sailor with a new boat bringing it north from San Diego a few years ago. IMO, there is some peace of mind to help calm the nerves if you bring an experienced crew (or two). That doesn't, however, give you a pass on doing your own due diligence about the passage, ensuring your boat is prepared and fuel is good/sufficient for the journey, and finding a good weather window. There can be a lot of drama about getting around Point Conception, but my data point of 1 also shows that it can be quite a tame area at times, too. Choose wisely
Old 14-07-2016, 14:41   #15

Boat: Freedom 38

By the way, since you just bought a Westsail, there are FOUR (!) Westsails racing to Kauai in the Singlehanded TransPac right now. I'm not suggesting you should do this race, too, but just thought you'd be interested in hearing about some others in your community.