Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2012, 16:08   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 456 - Radiance
Monitor MRUD

Looking to purchase a used Monitor MRUD Emergency Rudder.
Call (907)382-4878
Old 22-03-2012, 16:32   #2
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Re: Monitor MRUD

Hi Palagic. We have one of these on the back of our boat right now and it works much better than the emergency tiller we had to use on passage. Two points though, Scanmar told us the brackets are custom made for the specific type of boat (although I think it would be easy enough to modify but would require cutting and drilling a fairly large piece of stainless tubing). Second point, the tiller does not extend into the cockpit and at least on our boat, requires leaning out of cockpit slightly past the backstay. Sorry not interested in getting rid of ours but maybe you should also look on the Wauquiez owners forum as the Benetau First and the Centurion both have very similar sterns.
Old 22-03-2012, 16:37   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 456 - Radiance

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you are talking about the Monitor Emergency Rudder - which is a separate system. The MRUD attaches to the existing monitor mounts (which I already have - because I just installed a new Monitor Wind Vane). Trying to hold onto cruising funds as much as possible. There was one on eBay 6 months ago that I should have grabbed. arg! Of course, We'll probably be selling ours when we return from cruising in a few years. That's the kind of person I'm looking for now.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 22-03-2012, 17:14   #4
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

Mark,
Yes ours is the seperate system but I don't think it would be possible to attach after an emergency- has to be attached before you leave the dock! The carrying bag it came in is marked MRUD, so at one point in time, I think it was marketed with the same name as the wind vane attachment. You might try checking out the Seven Seas Cruising Association website classifieds. Half the fun is the hunt!
Best wishes,
Kim

Tags
monitor