Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2011, 18:28   #1

Mizzen Mount for Wind Generator

Looking for a mast mount for a wind generator. Ilooking to see which cost more: buying used one or fabricating my own?
thanks,
Richard
Old 17-07-2011, 18:42   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Mizzen mount for wind generator

find 2,please.
Old 17-07-2011, 19:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I won't have an answer for your specific question, but I will say that I am pleased with AmpAir's mizzen mount. 'just a note about the mizzen mount option. You might be disappointed if you expect good wind generator activity while sailing to keep the 12vDC power supplied to an auto pilot. I expected long distance sailing with this as a power source for my old, energy hungry, Benmar drive hydraulic autopilot, but this is a wind spoiled location on my ketch. I can be sailing with great performance with squirrely air at 3/4 up the front side of my mizzen where my wind generator is mounted. At all other times it excells! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 17-07-2011, 19:05   #4

capt force-- do you use your main a lot> does the wind genny work well when under just jib n jigger????
Old 17-07-2011, 19:36   #5

Zeehag,
Ive some new, but they cost same as the generator. Couple of places: emarine.com
A cheaper one is from svhotwire.com, but it doesnt allow 360 rotation.

A disadvantage of this position is sailing downwind, but that could be solved by lowering mizzen sail and keeping main and spinnaker.
the reason im looking for this is I wanna keep stern free for windvane and my mizzen boom is around 5 feet aft of the transom. That makes it so expensive to fabricate an offset tower to clear the boom.
Old 17-07-2011, 19:44   #6

[QUOTE I can be sailing with great performance with squirrely air at 3/4 up the front side of my mizzen where my wind generator is mounted. At all other times it excells! Take care and joy, Aythya crew[/QUOTE]

Thank you.
but I didnt quite understand this? Can u please explain it?
thankyou
richard
Old 17-07-2011, 19:52   #7

i sail mostly under mizzen and jib--is a good balance and doesnt allow big knockovers with increased wind speeds....
Old 17-07-2011, 20:44   #8
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Richard I'm with you should I get a ketch. But where will u put the radar and solar panels?
Old 17-07-2011, 21:05   #9

my radar is up my mizzen 2/3
my solar panels will be on my biminis. will have a bimini over companionway and one over helm.
Old 17-07-2011, 21:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Richard I'm with you should I get a ketch. But where will u put the radar and solar panels?
My radome is already mounted on the mizzen pretty much level with the spreadetd.
still thinkinf about my panels. Have a dinghy davits which fit this purpose now but has to be mounted somewhere else when I install windvane.
Old 17-07-2011, 21:09   #11

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

First of, no wind generator works good under sailunless strong winds as the apparent wind speed drops.

We have our windgen mounted at the top of the mizzen. Windgen pole is mounted on the front of the mast by 3 SS u-bolts, same as muffler clamps. Removed mast head so I could access the inside of the mast to be able to reach the nuts to tighten them.

Radar mount is on mizzen at spreader height, was going to mount on the main, but while mizzen was down changed my mind.

My solar panels are being mounted on top if the davits. Designing an adjustable mount to get a good angle on the sun...
Old 17-07-2011, 22:03   #12
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Yeah. Gets complicated if you want a wind vane too.
Old 18-07-2011, 08:41   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Z View Post
[QUOTE I can be sailing with great performance with squirrely air at 3/4 up the front side of my mizzen where my wind generator is mounted. At all other times it excells! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Thank you.
but I didnt quite understand this? Can u please explain it?
thankyou
richard[/QUOTE]

Sure, Unicorndreams had much of the answer when he referred to the apparent wind dimenishing the wind generator performance. My statement, quoted above, was my observation that the air flow is disturbed behind my main and just in front of my mizzen and this prevents by wind generator from operating as well as it does at anchor. I witness this to some degree on all points of sail.

Zeehag, I do usually drop my main and sail with just jib and mizzen before reefing. Actualy, this move usually suffices and I rarely reef. I'll admit that I don't know how my wind generator behaves with the main down. I think what happens is that, in the stronger winds, Nancie "pigs" the wheel or I get to be at the helm and we're not thinking about the auto pilot and wind generated 12VDC. Thanks for the question, I'll be inspired to look! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 18-07-2011, 08:47   #14

Re: Mizzen Mount for Wind Generator

am planning to place my panels on bimini top as cover. that way i can use the spaces between them to adjust and manage my mizzen. i planonhaving a bimini over my companionway instead of a dodger--- and use that top also as a panel mounting deevice.... mebbe also use both for travellers for my booms. that has to yet be figgered. so, theoretically, withg panels on my biminis, i can use the mizzen mast for mounting my to be owned but not yet found wind generator on my mizzen mast....
i tend to be skepticalof using davits for much--i have seen the results of these boats having been pooped by a following sea-- took out the davits and the dink-- so i wont use those for a solar panel mounting place. pooping happens. cannot be predicted nor protected from..... goood luck. i was pooped in gulf of mexico, of all places, by a quartering sea at 0300--was wet and cold. my formosa hasnt yet been pooped, but a neighbor was onhis way to catalina or back--lol was a mess. he has a sea wolf 41. came back with bent down davits and no more dink. we dont go there.
Old 18-07-2011, 20:29   #15

Re: Mizzen Mount for Wind Generator

Thank you for the explanation captforce. I originally didnt understand squirrely, but i thought it might have meant turbulent, but wasnt sure.

Tags
generator, wind generator