Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2011, 17:36   #31

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Looking to Buy 45-50' S/V in Bristol Condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
A friend just bought a 44 Kelly Petersen for 48k in Maryland. Needs mostly cosmetics and has a low hour engine. They are out there but you need to be patient in finding one.
If you are talking about "Lost Puppy", it is reported as listed originally at $68,500 and being sold for $52,500 or a 23% discount ... about average these days.
Old 29-09-2011, 18:57   #32

Boat: Homebuilt Composite 24

I have been looking at the market intently for over four years now. Before this I have owned, ( designed and built an couple ) , lived on and been on boats for 40 years. Thanks for the advice.
I am using this forum as just another possible source.

I saw a guy two years ago sell a Huckins he had spent 6 years and 600,000 rebuilding to mint condition , let it go for under 100,000 after deciding that he would not let the dinghy or electronics go with it for that price.
They are out there !!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:42   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Think you`re dreaming.
I dont think hes dreaming..my boat was for sale for 28000.00 for many years..I have a total of 2500.00 in it and that includes 1 yr at the marina and a yanmar with 150 hrs. on it..there are deals out there..you want a good deal ,look in the obituarys in Ft.Lauderdale Fla. when you see someone has past away on Canal st. wait a while(commen decent people will anyway)and chances are they had a boat and the old lady will give you the old mans boat because he spent more time on it then he did on her and she can now rent the dock..this did happen with a man I met and he was given a nice 70 ft sailboat.. DVC
Old 02-10-2011, 09:59   #34

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I dont think hes dreaming..my boat was for sale for 28000.00 for many years..I have a total of 2500.00 in it and that includes 1 yr at the marina and a yanmar with 150 hrs. on it..there are deals out there..you want a good deal ,look in the obituarys in Ft.Lauderdale Fla. when you see someone has past away on Canal st. wait a while(commen decent people will anyway)and chances are they had a boat and the old lady will give you the old mans boat because he spent more time on it then he did on her and she can now rent the dock..this did happen with a man I met and he was given a nice 70 ft sailboat.. DVC
Small boats are hard to get rid of today. We have abandoned boats in our club that go for a few dollars. If they don't sell we have to pay to get rid of them. The OP is " looking for a spacious home on the water fully equipped for voyaging and self-sufficiency" 45 to 50 feet in Bristol condition. He appears to think he can get one for 60 -100K. I think he's dreaming.
Old 02-10-2011, 15:54   #35

tropicalescape had a good reply, cross-ref the obits with county property records in Broward County , and find someone with a canal front home who passed away.. often the widow is so pissed at all the attention the boat got , that she is willing to give it away at that point ! Hee hee
Old 03-10-2011, 12:37   #36

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I know this appaling economy is spurning a dog-eat-dog mentality in some people who would normally never think of such things, but tropicalescape’s suggestion is disgusting! That anyone would stoop so low as to knock on a recently widowed door, (and what is his commonly decent interval anyway?), and ask if there is a boat for sale cheap, is about the pits in my book.
Let's give him the benefit of the doubt, and assume he's jocking.
Old 03-10-2011, 13:31   #37

Boat: Rhodes 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger
I know this appaling economy is spurning a dog-eat-dog mentality in some people who would normally never think of such things, but tropicalescape’s suggestion is disgusting! That anyone would stoop so low as to knock on a recently widowed door, (and what is his commonly decent interval anyway?), and ask if there is a boat for sale cheap, is about the pits in my book.
Makes me sick too. I hope they are joking.
Old 03-10-2011, 13:47   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Small boats are hard to get rid of today. We have abandoned boats in our club that go for a few dollars. If they don't sell we have to pay to get rid of them. The OP is " looking for a spacious home on the water fully equipped for voyaging and self-sufficiency" 45 to 50 feet in Bristol condition. He appears to think he can get one for 60 -100K. I think he's dreaming.
Years ago I was a yacht broker, back when yacht sales were booming. Even then in good times I would occasionally hear about some incredible deal someone got on a boat.

It does happen, but don't recall anyone getting a super deal on a Bristol condition, fully equiped, ready to go, etc, etc. Maybe on a 30' or so, market is flooded with smaller boats, but for a 45-50', perhaps a giant discount if the intial price was grossly unrealistic.

On the other hand, I know someone whose son actually won the Florida lottery so miracles can happen.
Old 03-10-2011, 14:41   #39

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Years ago I was a yacht broker, back when yacht sales were booming. Even then in good times I would occasionally hear about some incredible deal someone got on a boat.

It does happen, but don't recall anyone getting a super deal on a Bristol condition, fully equiped, ready to go, etc, etc. Maybe on a 30' or so, market is flooded with smaller boats, but for a 45-50', perhaps a giant discount if the intial price was grossly unrealistic.

On the other hand, I know someone whose son actually won the Florida lottery so miracles can happen.
And now dad has to be really well behaved... "Son, can I borrow the car...? (Ferrari)"

That must suck big time! ROFL

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 03-10-2011, 15:25   #40
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I met a man on a 70 ft sailboat..he told me that was how he got it ..and I am not joking.

I guess you feel alright about someone that sells coffins and insurance coming to your door...I think of lots of different ways to make money and as long as I obey the law "reasonably well" I have no problem with doing it...of course one could just wait and watch someone else take a boat that you would like to have because you have morals that prevent you from asking someone an "honest question" and like I wrote earlier use some common decency and don't ask if the boat can be had cheap..ask if you can have it for free!! Does that disgust you...?

Their are winners and then there are the ones that get disgusted..you got something I want I will ask for it ..now if I were to steal it that would be disgusting and illegal....

You are trying to make out like I said meet the old gal on the front steps of the funeral home before the old geezer is even cold..that was not my meaning.

I see you live in Fla. as did the other guy who seems to think a lot like you do and I guess it is just a coincidence that I said for one to do this they should look for the deceased in Ft. Lauderdale Fla. where you folks think that my statement was "disgusting" the Gov. doesn't like competition either..lol..DVC
Old 03-10-2011, 15:35   #41
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Jordan View Post
Makes me sick too. I hope they are joking.
You dont like the competition in this newly found "dog eat dog" economy,do ya? that is disgusting
Old 03-10-2011, 16:32   #42

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
You dont like the competition in this newly found "dog eat dog" economy,do ya? that is disgusting
Wow, you really need to take a deep breath and chill.
Old 03-10-2011, 17:54   #43
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Wow, you really need to take a deep breath and chill.
Im not upset ..they made a statement and I made a statement.Is it your opinon that some can say someone is disgusting and when I ask if they dont like competition that I should "chill"?thanks for your concern but I dont need to take a deep breath..if you look at the fellows avitar it reads as thou he is a yacht broker in Ft.Lauderdale..my original comment suggested looking for a good deal in that area...I can recall seeing many times on Crusers Forum opinionated comments about "lazy Brokers,Under Handed Surveyors, less than honest Used Car Salemen, and undesirable Taxi Drivers,Corrupt Political figures,etc..no one told those to take a deep breath and to "chill".all I said was "You dont like competition"?why would I want to take a deep breath? DVC
Old 03-10-2011, 17:59   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I don't believe the comment was referring to competition.

It is because your suggestion might be perceived by some as a suggestion to prey on widows and orphans in a time of distress.
Old 03-10-2011, 18:43   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I don't believe the comment was referring to competition.

It is because your suggestion might be perceived by some as a suggestion to prey on widows and orphans in a time of distress.
Who Me? The widows have been known to pray on me...and im an orphan...ok that last comment was a lie but the first one was true..that was the farthest thing from my mind...I think my comment struck a nerve because some people...oh never mind..but who would suggest to take advantage of anyone, let alone people in time of mourning,(that would be disgusting)..besides coffin pushers, thats the prime time for their business..anyone ever call them disgusting?..(dont answer that)DVC