Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2011, 18:39   #1

Looking for Cruising Nanny...

The main thing I'm looking for is a live-in nanny to home school my children.

I'm a single father, I have a 7 year old daughter in 2nd grade which I have full time, I also share custody of a 2 year old daughter. It gets much more interesting from here...

Shortly I'll be signing a purchase agreement on a 44 foot Sailboat, my plan is to purchase the sailboat do some upgrades for cruising and start out sailing the Islands from the Bahamas down.

Unfortunately I don't feel I'll be able to take on all of the duties of homeschooling as well as the boat maintenance and cruising responsibilities. My hopes are to find a young lady who will take on some of these responsibilities, NO funny business, I'm not looking for a companion but my daughters do need a positive female influence so I won't be taking on a male for these duties. I've had my 7 year old since she was 1 1/2 and she hasn't had a positive female influence her entire life. Anyway the homeschooling will most likely be standard curriculum from a place like Calvert, although I'd like to integrate local information into the curriculum.

Your responsibilities will be to teach from 9a-12p 5 days a week, probably make breakfast and lunch during those days. Also during passages while I'm at the helm the children will need to be cared for and safety procedures followed. Pretty much act as a second responsible adult and a strong positive female influence. I need someone my daughters can take to easily.

The islands aren't far apart so passages during those times will be short, we'll visit many islands, anchoring and staying for days and weeks at a time depending on how much we like the island. Marina stays will be few and far between but as far as I can foresee when we stay at a marina it'll be for a week at a time, to stock up on food and supplies and do any maintenance which can't be done at sea, also taking full advantage of the opportunity to tour the local area.

If you're not familiar with living on a boat you should do a Google search for live aboard families, there are plenty and you will get the idea of how it is. The position involves travel, obviously, you'll need a valid US Passport, which you don't necessarily need now but will need to be able to get one before we leave.

I can't offer much financially but all expenses will be paid and you will receive $200-$300 a month, I know it's not much but all your needs will be met and hopefully the travel, experience and exploration will offset this. It's definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Ages 18-? may apply, I don't care what age but I will choose who I feel is best for my girls. My plan is to cruise during the winter and return home to Michigan during the summer to visit with friends and family. It's all kind of up in the air right now and open for discussion, this winter I would like to work my way south from the Bahamas through the Caribbean before we'll have to return to the U.S.

Next fall we'll continue the journey.

Feel free to send me a message,
Chase
Old 19-12-2011, 21:00   #2

Boat: CS 27
Re: Looking for Cruising Nanny...

2 - 3 dollars a day isn't much. It works out to about 10 cents per hour on average, which may be attractive to some, but probably not anyone who has an internet connection.
Old 19-12-2011, 21:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgo View Post
2 - 3 dollars a day isn't much. It works out to about 10 cents per hour on average, which may be attractive to some, but probably not anyone who has an internet connection.
I'd take a job that paid 2-3 dollars a day if all my basic expenses are paid and I could cruise around the Bahamas going scuba diving working a half day as a teacher.
Old 19-12-2011, 21:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgo View Post
Not quite sure where your math came from. But $200-$300 a month works out to $6.66-$10 a day and given the work is for 3-4 hours would be $2.5-$5.0/hr. Which I agree isn't much but all expenses are paid which leaves that money for sovenirs or whatever and I believe I said I hoped the experience and lifestyle would offset the deficit in finances. This is geared more towards the high school or college graduate or even out of work maybe just moved in with parents person who would love to travel for free and enjoy life. Maybe this was the wrong place to post this but I don't have many ideas of where to post it. I tried craigslist and I do get some responses before it's repeatedly flagged as a possible scam because people don't believe it to be a real offer. I figured if I posted it here people may actually believe it maybe I could find a person who grew up on a boat and wanted to move back but couldn't afford it.
Now, hopefully we're past the nay sayers . I have a couple girls to interview for this, I was just hoping for a wider selection. Didn't really need the negative feedback. If I could find a good woman who enjoyed boating as much as me and wanted this lifestyle I wouldn't have to search for a nanny but I believe many men have had quite a hard time finding that as well ... LOL. So I'm looking for a nanny, probably a younger girl who wants to travel before getting all serious about their life.
Thanks for your feedback it really added to the thread...
Old 19-12-2011, 21:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'd take a job that paid 2-3 dollars a day if all my basic expenses are paid and I could cruise around the Bahamas going scuba diving working a half day as a teacher.

This is what I'm talking about, right here...
And next year I'd like to go further, eventually it'd be great to make it over to the Polynesian Islands...
Old 19-12-2011, 23:37   #6

Boat: CS 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1984 View Post
Not quite sure where your math came from.
Probably from a bottle of rum.

Good luck on your search.
Old 20-12-2011, 03:48   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

try the "thorn tree" on lonely planet,lots of gap year students looking for jobs like that,but from experiance they don't allways stick around that long once they realise child minding on a small boat is hard work!
Old 20-12-2011, 04:13   #8
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1984 View Post
Not quite sure where your math came from. But $200-$300 a month works out to $6.66-$10 a day and given the work is for 3-4 hours would be $2.5-$5.0/hr. Which I agree isn't much but all expenses are paid which leaves that money for sovenirs or whatever and I believe I said I hoped the experience and lifestyle would offset the deficit in finances. This is geared more towards the high school or college graduate or even out of work maybe just moved in with parents person who would love to travel for free and enjoy life. Maybe this was the wrong place to post this but I don't have many ideas of where to post it. I tried craigslist and I do get some responses before it's repeatedly flagged as a possible scam because people don't believe it to be a real offer. I figured if I posted it here people may actually believe it maybe I could find a person who grew up on a boat and wanted to move back but couldn't afford it.
Now, hopefully we're past the nay sayers . I have a couple girls to interview for this, I was just hoping for a wider selection. Didn't really need the negative feedback. If I could find a good woman who enjoyed boating as much as me and wanted this lifestyle I wouldn't have to search for a nanny but I believe many men have had quite a hard time finding that as well ... LOL. So I'm looking for a nanny, probably a younger girl who wants to travel before getting all serious about their life.
Thanks for your feedback it really added to the thread...
First I want to say Good luck, your gonna need it-It’s not surprising that you can’t find anyone, not at that price, because Lets be real here Your math is way off , this is a 24 hour a day job sailing on a small boat full time-and schooling and being responsible for a 2 & 7 year old along with cooking, helping with whatever?

It’s highly unlikely that anyone will stay with you even if you initially find someone at that price you will not keep them, they will jump ship after a short time and you will be looking for someone ongoing- I had to pay people in Africa, Mexico & rural China more than that and none of them could tutor your child- you need is to be fair in pay and if you can’t do that maybe adjust your plans , It’s a nice dream and I wish you the best, but dreams don’t always come true unless were able to wake up from our sleep and do what it takes to be in the real world-I think you should consider Rebel Heart he’s already said he would do the job !
Old 20-12-2011, 04:29   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram

First I want to say Good luck, your gonna need it-It’s not surprising that you can’t find anyone, not at that price, because Lets be real here Your math is way off , this is a 24 hour a day job sailing on a small boat full time-and schooling and being responsible for a 2 & 7 year old along with cooking, helping with whatever?

It’s highly unlikely that anyone will stay with you even if you initially find someone at that price you will not keep them, they will jump ship after a short time and you will be looking for someone ongoing- I had to pay people in Africa, Mexico & rural China more than that and none of them could tutor your child- you need is to be fair in pay and if you can’t do that maybe adjust your plans , It’s a nice dream and I wish you the best, but dreams don’t always come true unless were able to wake up from our sleep and do what it takes to be in the real world-I think you should consider Rebel Heart he’s already said he would do the job !
I dont think Chrisgo and rebel heart passed the math test - Zing...

Hey - to OP. good luck in the search. I know a couple of single dads that easily make this work in Asia except the living on a boat part. Nannys are plentiful and inexpensive. The reputation is they are not smart but my housekeeper is a college grad. She takes care of the apartment, budget, bills etc. She makes more than 300+R&B however. I do know of one older guy who cruises with a Filipino all round hand and keeper. It doesn't seem like they are a "couple" but who knows, maybe they have an arrangement there too.

I reckon finding a permanent "western" girl could be a problem. I've seen a lot of nanny turn over here and it really isnt good for the kids. They need more permanency.

Good luck.
Old 20-12-2011, 04:56   #10

Boat: 33ft sloop

I have some experience with child on board and it is hard work. My boat (at that time was a 40 ft "fat girl" with plenty of room for two or three.
But it is next to impossible to live on a relative small boat w/o the very physical presence of a young female.

A young girl watching 2 children is a 24/7 job and at 300 US$ it is underpaid as well. Either you land up with someone not that bright or one who is but might have other deficiencies. Drugs, alcohol, you name it.
A responsible female of at least 25-30 is needed and she must like sailing too.

Finding a woman who loves to sail is already a pot of gold, lest one who will take a responsible care of two youngsters.
Another point is privacy - which is not available on a relative small boat. In my younger years I was bosun on a two-tonner AC and even there was no available privacy for the two beauty-daughters of the owner.
Any female who has no personal attachment to you would feel very uncomfortable to join a man she has no ties with.

It is as the other forummers say - if you find someone it will be for a very short time only. You better may look for a sailing-loving companion, way better than a surrogate nanny.
Old 20-12-2011, 05:39   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

FWIW I think it's not a bad deal - for a person in the right circumstances. especially if likes watersports

At least she can leave the boat / do her own thing for 4 1/2 days of the week and the passages not long. Plus some beer and skittles money ....she doesn't have to turn up potless.

One thing I didn't notice was the intended time scale for the voyage and expectations for job duration - a few months? a few years?

The only potential fly in the ointment I can see is an over expectation of help on the domestic side. Teachers don't usually come as a free cook / crew / housekeeper (and skivvy?).....probably best to have duties written clearly down from the getgo. If things go well will get "freebies" anyway from her wanting / enjoying doing stuff - even when not on the clock.

FWIW in my early years I grew up with Nannies - the principal one (i.e. the one that worked out best / longest for all) was older, probably in her 50's - real old school . Certainly wasn't a child of the 60's!

Role more about being a Housekeeper and simply keeping an eye on us kids as well as engaging with us........she wasn't actually a teacher, but she taught me to read, write and enjoy books (and do sums etc!) and more importantly to be able to learn stuff on my own (and installed the discipline to do so - although a lot of that didn't stick as well as it might have!).....I wasn't even homeschooled! But no pointing waiting to simply learn the basics - until the Govt says you have to............she did sometimes come on family boating holidays, but not talking months.......I was probably around 7 when she got replaced by someone cheaper (with her own kid) and who provided "home comforts" for father..........but the Nanny still remained as a family freind / replacement grandma until her death 20 odd years later.

I only mention all that because an older woman (whether that be 30's or 40's) might be a better choice than a graduate simply from the maturity angle - and if gone through a life changing event, like redundancy or divorce maybe a few looking for a new direction. A few months or so on a boat in the Carib might be a good start.....the no hanky panky rule would still be a good idea!
Old 20-12-2011, 06:20   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i have to agree with david,we had a succsesion of nannies who joined us on many legs during 2 circumnavs,mostly in their early 20's.

problem was most of them were more interested in going out partying with other crew's and were never short of invites for free drinks,espeacially if they were reasonably good looking.

that and them turning up with strange blokes in the middel of the night!!!!!!

having a young nanny is a bit like having a dog on heat!!!!

a miss marples type in my mind who is also financially independen't would be a better bet,we met many older women crewing who would adequetly fill the role you suggest!

also i wouldn't limit your search to a us passport holder only,unless you plan on staying long term in the us or usvi.

having had a french au pair as a kid it is a great way to get a start on a foreign language,and still speak fluent french 40 years later!!!!

happy hunting!!!
Old 20-12-2011, 06:43   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Chase,

I know it's not easy being a single parent and I really applaud your goal of taking the children cruising. We were liveaboard cruisers with our daughter for almost two years and my only regret is that we did it while she was quite young and she grew up with little memory of the time.

I do think your plan is a good idea but do not think it will easy to find the right person. I think that a couple of the previous comments do address the situation quite well. A younger person willing to work more for the adventure than the pay might possibly be too interested in the adventure and fun and you could end up with an ongoing party on your hands.

Then an older, more experienced person would usually need to earn more of an income.

BUT, all that being said, it seems obvious to me that your offer is real and sincere and I think that somewhere out there just the right person is looking for a position like this.

The best of luck on your search.

Skip
Old 20-12-2011, 07:39   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
having had a french au pair as a kid it is a great way to get a start on a foreign language,and still speak fluent french 40 years later!!!!
A second language is one of the things to teach a kid that is done better when they are young - if they also get to use it with a native speaker (onboard and / or ashore)........rather than simply as (another?!) boring subject to get through . Might open up the options by employing a local (to your cruising area) either on school holidays or as a career break - and an intro into the onshore world.

I am told that once you have a 2nd language that the 3rd and 4th are easier.......but me sticks to the old ways of speaking loudly in English .......and only a few very basic bit of pidgin in a few foreign lingos .

In regard to OP, probably already well covered - but in case not / for others.......might need the Mother's permission to get passports for the kids and / or to leave the country - and possibly the Ok from a court if they have been involved along the way.
Old 20-12-2011, 07:46   #15

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
FWIW I think it's not a bad deal - for a person in the right circumstances. especially if likes watersports

At least she can leave the boat / do her own thing for 4 1/2 days of the week and the passages not long. Plus some beer and skittles money ....she doesn't have to turn up potless.

One thing I didn't notice was the intended time scale for the voyage and expectations for job duration - a few months? a few years?

The only potential fly in the ointment I can see is an over expectation of help on the domestic side. Teachers don't usually come as a free cook / crew / housekeeper (and skivvy?).....probably best to have duties written clearly down from the getgo. If things go well will get "freebies" anyway from her wanting / enjoying doing stuff - even when not on the clock.

FWIW in my early years I grew up with Nannies - the principal one (i.e. the one that worked out best / longest for all) was older, probably in her 50's - real old school . Certainly wasn't a child of the 60's!

Role more about being a Housekeeper and simply keeping an eye on us kids as well as engaging with us........she wasn't actually a teacher, but she taught me to read, write and enjoy books (and do sums etc!) and more importantly to be able to learn stuff on my own (and installed the discipline to do so - although a lot of that didn't stick as well as it might have!).....I wasn't even homeschooled! But no pointing waiting to simply learn the basics - until the Govt says you have to............she did sometimes come on family boating holidays, but not talking months.......I was probably around 7 when she got replaced by someone cheaper (with her own kid) and who provided "home comforts" for father..........but the Nanny still remained as a family freind / replacement grandma until her death 20 odd years later.

I only mention all that because an older woman (whether that be 30's or 40's) might be a better choice than a graduate simply from the maturity angle - and if gone through a life changing event, like redundancy or divorce maybe a few looking for a new direction. A few months or so on a boat in the Carib might be a good start.....the no hanky panky rule would still be a good idea!
A perceptive and good post. Plenty of real world there.

Tags
cruising