Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2008, 05:10   #1

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Looking for Another Boat

I am pretty much finished with our Cal 2-29 (is any boat ever "finished"?) and we are now ready to upgrade to a larger boat. I accomplished a large part of my goal with the Cal - I have learned a lot.
It is time now to start looking for a larger boat. We can't afford a new boat or a $150,000 fully fit our cruising boat, so I will be looking for something more in my price range. I would love to "trade up" but will probably end up selling the Cal for about what I have into it or possibly even less (I have no illusions of making a profit on a project boat). Anything I find will probably need some degree of work but I am not looking for a project boat this time.
Ideally, we would like to find a 40' Tri or one about that size. I have inquired about a 39' Crowther catamaran that is advertised as needing "cosmetic" work (Hmmm...)
I will probably end up with something like a Columbia 41' or 45' - as I understand it, they are a well built boat for our purpose and have huge amounts of space in them. I would consider a Ferro boat if it were the right one.
Anything I do eventually buy will HAVE to be on the West coast US - it would not be worth buying a boat in Texas or Florida and transporting it to Oregon.
If anyone knows of a boat that may fall into this category, please let me know.
Thanks

Old 30-05-2008, 08:37   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I believe the 45 Columbia is the center cockpit? If this is true it is a ton of space, but doesn't sail to windward that well. The 43 is a sweet sailing boat that is almost to open inside. I like them anyway, and would put in a post in the center of the salon.
Old 30-05-2008, 13:13   #3

Thanks Imagins2Frolic - That is the kind of information that I need. Now that you mention it, I think I have heard someone else mention poor windward performance with the Columbia 45. I will look at the 43 then also - but my first preference would be a tri I think since my wife hasn't sailed much.
Thanks

Old 30-05-2008, 13:46   #4

One more question on a Columbia 45': Was it all of the 45' models that did not sail well to windward or was it just one of the keel designs? I unserstand that the 45' came with a standard keel and a shoal keel.

Old 15-06-2008, 05:17   #5

Boat: Southerly UK 37ft
new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausont View Post
I am pretty much finished with our Cal 2-29 (is any boat ever "finished"?) and we are now ready to upgrade to a larger boat. I accomplished a large part of my goal with the Cal - I have learned a lot.
It is time now to start looking for a larger boat. We can't afford a new boat or a $150,000 fully fit our cruising boat, so I will be looking for something more in my price range. I would love to "trade up" but will probably end up selling the Cal for about what I have into it or possibly even less (I have no illusions of making a profit on a project boat). Anything I find will probably need some degree of work but I am not looking for a project boat this time.
Ideally, we would like to find a 40' Tri or one about that size. I have inquired about a 39' Crowther catamaran that is advertised as needing "cosmetic" work (Hmmm...)
I will probably end up with something like a Columbia 41' or 45' - as I understand it, they are a well built boat for our purpose and have huge amounts of space in them. I would consider a Ferro boat if it were the right one.
Anything I do eventually buy will HAVE to be on the West coast US - it would not be worth buying a boat in Texas or Florida and transporting it to Oregon.
If anyone knows of a boat that may fall into this category, please let me know.
Thanks
WE ARE SELLING OUR 37 ft Space SOUTHERLY yacht, fitted with new gear and new YANMAR engine. at $ 74,000...dro me a line migot1@012.net.il
Old 15-06-2008, 10:07   #6

Hi Migot1

It is a beautiful boat. Unfortunately, if the boat also is in Israel, it would be far out of my means to purchase it and move it back to Oregon. As it is, the price of teh boat alone is well above our budget.
Thank you though,

Tim

Old 15-06-2008, 21:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausont View Post
Thanks Imagins2Frolic - That is the kind of information that I need. Now that you mention it, I think I have heard someone else mention poor windward performance with the Columbia 45. I will look at the 43 then also - but my first preference would be a tri I think since my wife hasn't sailed much.
Thanks
esi

Both the Columbia 43 and 45 are Bill Tripp designs... but the 45 is a center cockpit motorsailor while the 43 is a more typical racer cruiser that sails very well, but also has lots of room below due to the flush deck design.

Here's a site that has lots of info on all the Columbias.

Columbia Yacht Owners Association

Besides living aboard, what are your cruising plans? Do you intend to do any offshore sailing or will it be strictly coastal cruising?
Old 02-07-2008, 15:06   #8

42' Cascade cc ketch

Great sailer in really pristine condition with upgrades to make her cruise ready. Just came on the market. Check it out on yachtworld. She is in SoCal. (Chula Vista)