Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2016, 16:32   #16

Boat: Catana, BALI 4.3, 42
Re: Leopard 46, 2006

Why should I make an offer for 2006 Leopard 46' that the owner list for $355K when I can negotiate for a 2009 Leopard 46' that the owner is starting at $335K?

In contrast to some of the "emotional" feedback I saw on this discussion regarding the proper pricing, I am really trying to be systematic and understand what is the actual current value for such boat and then I can assure you I will get a proper boat for that price if there is a boat owner that actually intend to sell his boat not just put out a high price and hope for the best.
Old 31-08-2016, 16:43   #17

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvop View Post
Why should I make an offer for 2006 Leopard 46' that the owner list for $355K when I can negotiate for a 2009 Leopard 46' that the owner is starting at $335K?

You make the same assumptions I did when I first started dreaming.. that the year of the boat makes a difference.. it does not, and if it does, it must be rare. What makes the difference is the current state of the boat and it's accessories. I put a lot of miles on and looked at a lot of boats before I bought.. newer boats, owners boats or not, if they were pristine, they demanded more $$.. if they were newer, owner boats or not, and not as nice.. and I can tell you price reflected it every time, they were a lot less $$.. but also needed a ton of work or didn't include near the accessories.

I am guessing you'll find that out, but if you find out otherwise, good for you. It'll be that rare time.
Old 31-08-2016, 20:58   #18

Privleoplag, thanks for your feedback, it sounds reasonable and make sense but believe me, I may not have too much experience in purchasing or evaluating price of used or new catamaran but I have enough experience and understanding with technical equipment to enable me to learn quickly and come to reasonable conclusions.
Specifically about this boat, it is a 2006 charter model and there is no input about its ownership history.
If it has been the original private owner I assume it would have been written on the first line of the boat spec in big letters.
There are many renovations done around 2013 so my assumption is that between 2006 to 2012 the boat was actually under a charter program and has been removed from charter by the current owner that is either the original owner or a new owner.
This may bring the boat condition to an average status of any charter boat even if the current owner did a great job.
Specifically the engines and gear have above 5000 hr each with no overhaul, for an original charter boat that takes a lot of beating and abuse by customers it is not particularly good sign and the same can be said for the rigging that were not replaced just adjusted.
So if I am correct about the assumption of formerly being a charter boat then the underline condition of the boat may not be so great. the upgrades are great and I give full credit to the current owner but I will be willing in such case to add 5% on the boat average value. The whole story may change if this is the original private owner and the boat was not used as charter boat at all, but then it is the failure of the current owner to mention this important detail or somehow I managed to fail to notice this detail.
And finally, regardless of ownership type etc. the sea is a harsh environment so unless the boat has been stored in a museum for the last 10 years it definitely matter how old it is and it is a major component for its value evaluation in addition to how well it has been maintained, the condition of the equipment etc. as you mentioned before. I can tell you as an engineer that if the electronic and electrical equipment already accumulated few years at sea it is anybodies guess when it is going to break down regardless of how nice is the owner.
Finally. I really appreciate your input, it helps me refine or otherwise completely reset my understanding of how to consider a boat value.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:23   #19

It's always a buyers market. Search, Review, Survey, then make a low ball offer then walk if no deal. Trust me - eventually you will find a bargain. Your not in it to make friends. Be a "value buyer" and understand intrinsic value... Remember, with regard to boats (any brand) - IT'S ALWAYS A BUYERS MARKET! My final credo - an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Ask the guy who married my ex wife for confirmation as he overbought and finds himself upside down at present - often literally! Good job as pay not one ounce of attention to the Brokers who offer biased opinions on this rag.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-09-2016, 08:13   #20

Boat: PT-11

I love all these "experts" with no boat named in their profile.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:42   #21

Dear SVNeko, I believe that I made it very clear that I am not an expert but I do learn very fast..... As to "experts with no boat name under their name", I am actually a member of a sailing boat club and use at this point mostly a Gemini Galaxy 35 catamaran and do have experience with Leopard 46' which is a great boat and decided to buy one but for a reasonable price and that is exactly what I am trying to figure out here for myself.
I truly believe there are many other buyers as well as sellers that are interested in the same question, what is the real value of a boat, the final answer that Santiago gave is: "The price for a boat is the price that a buyer is willing to pay for it....." which is completely correct in any case. And as much as I can tell from the last few months, a 2006 Leopard 46' for $359K is going to stay on the listing for many years to come and I really hope for the owner that I am proved to be wrong.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:49   #22

And by the way in regards to "experts with no boat named " , I thought that "Switch 51" is not a boat name rather a boat model name like Leopard 46' ?
Old 01-09-2016, 15:35   #23

S/V Santiago - 2008 Custom Swan ...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-09-2016, 19:07   #24
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Dear SVNeko, I believe that I made it very clear that I am not an expert but I do learn very fast..... As to "experts with no boat name under their name", I am actually a member of a sailing boat club and use at this point mostly a Gemini Galaxy 35 catamaran and do have experience with Leopard 46' which is a great boat and decided to buy one but for a reasonable price and that is exactly what I am trying to figure out here for myself.

I truly believe there are many other buyers as well as sellers that are interested in the same question, what is the real value of a boat, the final answer that Santiago gave is: "The price for a boat is the price that a buyer is willing to pay for it....." which is completely correct in any case. And as much as I can tell from the last few months, a 2006 Leopard 46' for $359K is going to stay on the listing for many years to come and I really hope for the owner that I am proved to be wrong.

You left the seller out of your quote. The real value of a boat is what the buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to take. And you are right, the accessories that come with a boat have little value and probably won't bring a higher price for the boat, but they may sell a boat quicker than a comparable boat without all the extras. Guaranteed though is the boat with all the extras will cost the buyer more down the road with all the needed maintenance, repair and replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-09-2016, 20:03   #25

I left the seller out not out of rudeness but because as a buyer I am not tied to a specific boat/seller there are plenty of boats on the market.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:23   #26
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
I left the seller out not out of rudeness but because as a buyer I am not tied to a specific boat/seller there are plenty of boats on the market.

And any boat you deal with has a seller.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-09-2016, 05:16   #27

you are correct but not all sellers are the same, some really want to sell the boat while others try to see if they can recover their original investment and don't really mind to keep holding/using it. Others simply take brokers/charter-company advice for their boat value and it may take them 1-2 years to come down to the correct price when they finally decide to sell or be lucky and find someone that is willing to pay the high price.

Tags
leopard, leopard 46