Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 14:24   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000 33' catamaran
Katadyn Power Survivor 40 E Watermaker Desalinator

Never installed or used. Would prefer a new set of sails.

$3,700 at West Marine; $3,935 at Amazon; both out of stock. $2,950 at Defender.

Best offer over $1,900. Free delivery in Florida south of Tampa.

From Amazon:

"The efficient and convenient Katadyn PowerSurvivor 40E water desalination system allows you to cruise further and stay longer without worrying about your water supply. This highly durable 12-volt watermaker is a high-end system for even the most budget-conscious cruiser. It delivers 1.5 gallons of water per hour, and it's the only watermaker that converts to manual operation in the event of a power failure. It operates quietly and is designed for low maintenance. Simplified construction and rugged design make the PowerSurvivor 40E remarkably easy to install, operate and maintain. (The 40E contains 40 percent fewer parts than its popular predecessor, the PowerSurvivor-35.) This compact unit can be easily installed in the nooks and crannies otherwise unusable in many yachts. And, using only 4 amps of power, the 40E can run for extended periods on alternative power alone. Armed for the rigors of the marine environment, the 40E features a rugged stainless steel, high-pressure pump. Katadyn cover most of the 40E's components with a 3-year warranty.
Specifications

• Power requirements: 12 volts DC (draws 4 amps)
  • Water production (+/- 15%): 1.5 gallons/hour (5.7 liters/hr)
  • Weight: 25 lbs (11.33 kg)
  • Dimensions - Pump : 6.75" (17.2 cm) by 16.5" (41.9 cm) by 15.5" (39.4 cm) (HxLxW)
  • Dimensions - Prefilter Module: 12" (30.5 cm) length, 6" (15.2 cm) diameter (allow 7" (18 cm) for hose bend)
  • Feedwater flow rate: 20 gallons/hour (75.7 liters/hour)
  • Salt rejection: 98.4 percent average (96 percent minimum)
Katadyn Technology
Reverse osmosis desalinization is simple in concept: squeeze salt water through a semi-permeable membrane fine enough to remove the salt, other minerals, and contaminants. Unfortunately, that membrane must be so fine that the filtering process requires enormous pressure (typically 800 psi) to push the fresh water through. And developing that pressure uses a lot of energy.
Katadyn PowerSurvivors improve this process with its line of high-pressure energy recovery pumps by capturing some of that energy and reusing it instead of sending the remainder to overboard discharge as other watermakers do. The pressurized reject water is recirculated to the back side of the piston to aid the next stroke. This energy is kept in the system, resulting in less work to achieve fresh water. This reduces the energy expenditure and allows the use of 12-volt motors at low amperage. The result is one of world's most energy-efficient watermakers.
What Size is Right for You?
The first step in choosing a watermaker is understanding your water needs. Sounds simple, but what many forget is the change in mentality from living in a house to spending time on a boat. Just like you take fewer clothes, fewer shoes, and shorten your menu, water needs decrease dramatically as well. In fact, the average daily usage on a cruising sailboat is between 1.5 and 3 gallons of water per person per day. Thus, a crew of two would require between a conservative 3 and a more average 6 gallons of water, while a crew of four would require between 6 and 12 gallons. We recommend choosing a model that can produce your calculated daily water needs in 2 to 4 hours of operation per day (minimum).
PowerSurvivor 40E
  • 2 hours: 3 gallons/ 11.4 liters
  • 4 hours: 6 gallons/ 22.8 liters
Old 13-01-2012, 07:24   #2

Boat: hunter 28, 1991, windswept
Re: Katadyn Power Survivor 40 E Watermaker Desalinator

what year is the unit and is it in factory box, thanks
Old 13-01-2012, 07:59   #3

It not in the factory box because I had it on my boat waiting to be installed. Factory seals still in place. Purchased a few years ago not sure exact date. I would be willing to guarantee it works.
Old 13-01-2012, 10:12   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by girouxkj View Post
It not in the factory box because I had it on my boat waiting to be installed. Factory seals still in place. Purchased a few years ago not sure exact date. I would be willing to guarantee it works.
Can you post some pictures please
Thank you
Old 14-01-2012, 10:15   #5

Here are the pictures you requested. BTW, I can pack and ship anywhere in the US but I am traveling a lot in South FL so could easily deliver directly in that area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Katadyn Watermaker 1.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	35957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Katadyn Watermaker 2.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	35958  

Old 18-01-2012, 06:00   #6
SOG