Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 13:12   #1

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
Jeanneau 42.1

Far Niente is a 1991 Jeanneau S.O. 42.1. It is a "turn key" ready cruisng boat. Everything is there. Just add provisions and your crew. She is a comfortable 3 cabin, 2 head vessel with a large cockpit and a convenient sugar scoop transom. It is probably the best equipped 42.1 in the world. Highly customized and extremely well equipped. We have sailed her from Maine to the southern Bahamas. She is a truly wonderful vessel. Value priced at $175K. Located in FL. Email for description and equipment list.

Old 05-04-2011, 14:38   #2

Boat: deboated
Re: Jeanneau 42.1

$175000 for a 1991 Jeanneau S.O. 42.1 good luck but unfortunately looking at the Caribbean late model boat prices for a similar vessel, this looks very expensive. Equipment has a used by date so many will look at the gear thinking how long before most needs replacing repairing etc. Most will want some not all as well so as I said good luck if it is your boat.
Old 05-04-2011, 15:12   #3

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"

Thanks for your concern. Now get your pacifier and go back to bed. LOL!
Old 05-04-2011, 16:29   #4

Today you can buy a 42ft Beneteau 2006 for $125us then add $50000 worth of equipment brand new makes $175000us. Sometimes sellers have to face reality and this is the reality brokers run up against this all day and then get bashed for not working hard enough to sell someones boat which is overpriced. You posted on this forum I just gave an opinion just like every subject gets opinions maybe I have missed somthing. I will be interested to hear where I miscalculated.
Old 05-04-2011, 16:38   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Yours is a nice boat I am sure.

I am also sure you have done this comparison.

As such, there must be a reason that the value of the boat listed in the OP is significantly higher then those shown in the comparison.

It might assist those trying to assess the reason for the extra valuation if you could outline why.

Let me give you an example.

A few months back (I can't remember the name of the poster nor the make of his catamaran - I believe it was a Lagoon 42) asked a significant amount over and above what most of the same models were asking for.

He had a web site which detailed every, and I mean every, maintenance item or improvement he made from day one.

To say he was anal about maintenance is an understatement. If I recall he was an engineer... someone may be able to help me out on this one.

Suffice it to say, it was clear that whoever was buying the cat was getting a "as good as or better than new" boat.

The end result was he sold it in a relatively short period of time, for a substantial amount more then similar cats.

Is it out of line to suggest that if you could replicate what he did that your increased valuation may be in order? Is the rigging new, chain plates replaced, sails new or newer, electronics uptodate etc. etc. All of those help substantiate a higher price.

On the other hand, sometimes they just help get a boat sold. As an example, when you buy a car, you expect good tires. Just because they are new does not mean you will pay extra for them; you will however, give that car a second look because it doesn't need tires.

Same thing would go for sails, rigging etc.

Just a thought you may want to consider.
Old 05-04-2011, 16:58   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Go there and you'll have more details:
SailboatOwners.com
Old 05-04-2011, 18:15   #7

Having looked at the site my opinion has not changed. I am sure it is a great boat with all those extras but like houses you can over capitalise. That would be my opinion if I was shown the boat. My earlier comment regarding $50000 worth of upgrades would buy most of what the average cruiser wanting a 42 length boat to go cruising in, all brand new in a five year old boat.

Tags
jeanneau