Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 18:21   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Jacklines and Tethers

"I actually believe the whole system of jack lines is useless on a yacht anyway. Firstly their placement means they do not prevent you from falling overboard, which is suppose to be the point of the whole thing."

I hear that a lot, but I don't buy it. If the windward tethers are used and the sailor stays low, getting washed off to windward is a minor risk, unless working near the bow when running. Fortunately for me, I've got a catamaran and the bow is wide.

"If you have, like me, gone over attached, you quickly realise that unless the boat stops sharpish you'll drown anyway. Being pulling with an inflated lifejacket from that centre point causes you to be dragged under. It's a most imperfect system and like most safety system on yachts, designed to give an "illusion" of safety."

Which makes this an awfully good area for testing. What you say shouldn't have to be the case, but often it is. One problem I see is that many of the PFD/harness combos have the chest strap too low. For a PFD it needs to be low. For a harness it has to be in the arm pits. A hybrid is destined to be a failure until they think this through. There is a great need for standardized in-water testing.

"The best system I saw was a solid T track running down the coach roof with sliders to hook to your tether, it was simply impossible to go over the lifelines."

I've seen that on catamarans (in the form of a central jackline). On monohulls, I have my doubts but also limited expereince. However, I like the jackline to one side; often I hold the tether in one hand and use it for balance while crossing the foredeck. A centralized jackline would not provide that security. A central line would give a different false sense of security; mathematically you cannot fall off, but you sure can get hurt, flying about.

Dave[/QUOTE]

Old 11-03-2012, 18:45   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes I agree the jackline end needs to lock. Though the squeeze system Wichard use is very effective even if not fully in the ISO spirit of things.

I actually believe the whole system of jack lines is useless on a yacht anyway. Firstly their placement means they do not prevent you from falling overboard, which is suppose to be the point of the whole thing. If you have like me gone over attached, you quickly realise that unless the boat stops sharpish you'll drown anyway. Being pulling with an inflated lifejacket from that centre point causes you to be dragged under. It's a most imperfect system and like most safety system on yachts, designed to give an "illusion" of safety.

The best system I saw was a solid T track running down the coach roof with sliders to hook to your tether, it was simply impossible to go over the lifelines.

Dave

There's definitely pros and cons. If you go through the lifelines you can be dragged through the water, often with broken bones, particularly ribs. However, I have a neighbor who tethered himself to the mast while reefing in a sudden storm. When he got knocked off the cabin top, his legs went halfway through the lifelines before the tether caught him, and saved his life. But if he'd been tethered to a jackline, he undoubtedly would have drowned, although at least his body would have been found. I know it would be very inconvenient, but I'd like to find a very short tether. I go up to the bow on my hands and knees with netted lifelines and want to stay ON the boat.

Old 11-03-2012, 20:54   #18

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Thats why ya have SHORT lines on your teather! the one shown above with the two lines is one answer! always have a short line and a second line to put on the jack line before you un hook the first! never unhook before ya hook up the second line ! Ive had my lines run aft for years and almost never need to go forward ! and if ya reef early ya don't ever need to go forward in big wind and seas ! just my 2 cents

Tags
Jacklines