Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2012, 11:31   #1

Boat: Medusa 25
Inboard Engine Wanted

Hi All.

As above I have got a Volvo MD1 in or should I say now out and would like to replace it as the gear box has rusted and I don't have the time to look at mine I am looking for something similar I can replace it with. It is to go in a Medusa 25 so if you have or know of something suitable please message me.

Regards Till
Old 13-03-2012, 12:31   #2

Re: Inboard engine wanted

I think it would be much easier to keep the engine and either replace the transmission or rebuild it. Repowering with a different engine will most likely be very expensive because of all the modifications that will be required to the engine bed, exhaust etc.
Old 13-03-2012, 19:30   #3

I might have a working Saab 10hp that might work for you. Let me know if you are interested and I will give you more details
Old 13-03-2012, 19:30   #4

Boat: Choate 40 / Pearson Ariel

I have just resuscitated my md-11 and am thrilled with it. Old world, low rpm and so well made. Folks complain of difficult parts sourcing but I find just the opposite, almoost TOO easy to buy parts, $200 big end bearings (2 cyl. ) and the like... A repower is a lot of re-engineering. I am tired of re-engineering...
Old 13-03-2012, 23:00   #5

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vortex View Post
I have just resuscitated my md-11 and am thrilled with it. Old world, low rpm and so well made. Folks complain of difficult parts sourcing but I find just the opposite, almoost TOO easy to buy parts, $200 big end bearings (2 cyl. ) and the like... A repower is a lot of re-engineering. I am tired of re-engineering...
Keep talking, If you know how to get Volvo bits at a deal price I will be forever grateful
Old 14-03-2012, 07:29   #6

Re: Inboard Engine Wanted

OP, another option is to just hang an outboard off the transom. A 9.9 hp long shaft would do the trick for coastal cruising. water sailing">Blue water sailing, maybe not.
Old 14-03-2012, 10:20   #7

I don't think I am getting a great price on parts, just the savings of not repowering. I did manage to spec non-volvo piston rings and some cylinder liner o-rings. I guess if your boat is already done otherwise then a new project is not too much. Not true in our case. If I was to repower from scratch I would go electric....
Old 14-03-2012, 13:33   #8

Thanks you for the replys.

how much would it cost to go electric?
Old 14-03-2012, 23:32   #9

Just helped my friend take out a running Volvo not sure of the type seems like it is a MD2B but will have to check. It has the trans and is complete with the common spares a cruiser would want to be able to repair while underway. Head, piston, pump, ect. He fell into a great deal otherwise he wouldn't have changed the engine. If a MD2B would work let me know and I will connect you to my friend. It is located in central east coast of Florida, you might want to check on shipping charges.
Old 15-03-2012, 14:50   #10

Boat: Dufour 34 - Electric propulsion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillybobs View Post
Hi All.

As above I have got a Volvo MD1 in or should I say now out and would like to replace it as the gear box has rusted and I don't have the time to look at mine I am looking for something similar I can replace it with. It is to go in a Medusa 25 so if you have or know of something suitable please message me.

Regards Till
I have a transmission from a Volvo MD2B for sale, PM me if you are interested.

Alberto
Old 22-03-2012, 04:33   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Volvo parts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vortex View Post
.... Folks complain of difficult parts sourcing but I find just the opposite, almoost TOO easy to buy parts, $200 big end bearings (2 cyl. ) and the lik...
I stopped working on the "Green Griefs" about ten years ago due to difficulty obtaining parts and there $$$$.
Please share where to find Volvo parts at a decent price.

I am removing a Yanmar 1GM, 8HP from a customers boat. After I have repaired/replaced and it is running perfectly, it will be available.

Tom
Old 22-03-2012, 07:02   #12

Sorry Tom, I don't mean to imply that I find the Volvo parts at all affordable,
$200 for 4 little bearing shells seemed like a lot. However it is cheaper for me at this time to "run what I brung" and not re-engineer. I was able to locate everything I needed through Andre at Admiralty Marine in San Diego. He has been a huge help!
Old 26-03-2012, 14:50   #13

Thanks for replys sorted out with a engine now.

Tags
engine, wanted