Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2015, 11:02   #1

Hans Christian 34 1978

Here is a preliminary report from memory. I am returning to the boat late on Feb 20. Better info then.
Since the 1st ad was deleted, I will have to guess. Any help appreciated. Sorry to have made people angry, US$70,000.00- price
Trinidad- location
- exterior picture or pictures

- interior picture or pictures

I will try to post and I suggest that you see also my Significant Other's NON-COMMERCIAL Blog. https://alegria1976.wordpress.com/20...on-the-market/

One puzzle that we are wondering about: People seemed to say that the boat should be empty when the new buyer sees it. Having lived aboard her since 1990, and voyaging since 2001 – from Sequim, WA down to Panama, across the Pacific, down to New Zealand three times, up into the N Pacific, across to Guam and the Philippines, down to Jakarta, across the Indian Ocean to South Africa, around the Cape of Good Hope, and on to the Caribbean with details available if interested. She has a lot of important spare parts and miscellaneous boat bits on board. It seems silly to dispose of these important items, when any new owner that knows anything, will want them. Any thoughts on that? I am very fortunate that in 1969 my parents took me and my two younger brothers on a 5 year circumnavigation aboard a 52' Rhodes Ketch. I was 20 at the beginning of the trip.

Heidi
1978 Hans Christian 34'
Beta 37.5 HP Diesel, about 2000 hours, installed in 2000.

Two racor filters w/bypass. Use one or both, can change one while running engine on the other.
Exhaust shut off valve for use in high seas
Dripless shaft seal new in 2011
Optima Starter Battery (Spiral Gel Cell Car, Marine, & RV Batteries | OPTIMABATTERIES)
3 Optima House Batteries 65 AH each = 195 AH. New in 2008. Previous set lasted 12 years and tested still good after replacement. Turned out the lost performance was probably due to a corroded connection on the solar panel reducing the input but not discovered till later.
100W solar power: 2 x 50 W panels by Siemens, installed 2001.
Shore power converter not used since 2001.

Sails: 2 Mains, 1 storm main, 1 cruising spinnaker (with sock), 1 genoa, 1 yankee, 1 storm jib, 2 staysails.

2 CQR type SS anchors
chain (90 meters?), rope, snubber.
spare anchor line.
Manual windlass
1 Fortress Aluminum Anchor
1 dinghy anchor
1 Anchor Buddi (lead weight to roll down chain to improve scope)
5 fenders, plenty of docking lines

Achilles Dinghy inflatable, with 8HP mercury outboard. Both new in Dec 2008
Autohelm wind vane w/ auxiliary rudder.

4 man life raft new in 2011
EPIRB new in 2011
Drogue or cone type sea anchor that is the size recommended for the boat.
2 Drogue lines 300 ft each.
3 bilge pumps. (1 automatic, 1 emergency, 1 hand gusher.)
Life jackets, harnesses (3), jack lines, spot light, 4 fire extinguishes, man overboard pole w/horseshoe buoy, horn, sledge hammer, radar reflector, bosun's chair. Flares – outdated but have been stored very well. (even plugs for dorade vents if bedding down in a hurricane! Never used.)

AIS transmitter/receiver
Garmin GPS
handheld Garmin GPS
GPS antenna for computer
Acer laptop with Open CPN, CM93 world wide charts, other navigation software.
VHF
Handheld VHF
Kenwood 2005 SSB receive only
a 2nd SSB receive only
Hummingbird Fish finder/depth sounder
Speedometer - light not working
Compass
2nd compass

2 burner kerosene stove w/oven by Taylor

Sewing machine (household from 1977 but it has gone through 14 layers of Sunbrella! Possibly not included.)

Car deck w/ usb mp3 player (no CD).

Assorted hand tools including DeWalt 12 Volt drill and flashlight w/ 2 batteries and charger (2014).

H20 pressure pump and galley foot pump. Salt water galley pump.

Porta Potty - Thetford 135

Jerry Cans: 2 diesel 5 gal, 1 gasoline 5 gal, 3 water 5 gal, 2 kerosene 2.5 gal, dinghy gas tank 3 gal.

Assorted spare parts and materials.

Heidi has been traveling the world since 2001 while being carefully maintained since our lives depended on her. She has been our (my) only home since 1990.
Major projects:
abt 1999 replaced Stb Samson post with purpleheart.
2000: new engine (replaced salt water cooled Volvo 34 with the Beta before heading to tropics)
2001: new rigging and solar panels
2002: water tank leak repairs.
2003: new VHF, new speedometer after lightning strike. Major paint work, New awning and sail covers.
2003: Auxiliary rudder repairs.
2005: New wiring for navigation lights (both masthead and pulpit), other work on mast including paint.
2006: Replaced port diesel tank (black iron) with epoxy/glass and replumbed fuel lines.
2007: Removed bowsprit for caulking access, discovered some rot and replaced the entire bowsprit with kauri. Reglazed all port lights.
2008: New dinghy/outboard/chain - not much work done this year.
2009: replaced bow stem chain plates and inner fore stay after the former broke. Blister repair job (first sign of blisters after 1990 job) including one new layer of glass and lots of painting, new awning (unfortunately not taken further up – there are blisters above the water line now).
2010: 2 way AIS added. New cushions, new fenders
2011: New life raft, new EPIRB, new docking lines, some new running rigging
2012: New wood for overhead in salon & galley, w/new LED lighting, interior paint and varnish, misc. wood work. New galley cabinet and stove surround. Replaced 2 chain plates (aft shrouds - one showed hairline crack). Rebedding of forward haws holes.
2013: replaced mid chain plates, new chain. Forward chain plates (shrouds) still original.
2014: recaulking and refastening teak deck. New engine damper plate. Port Sampson Post replaced with Ipé. New dinghy floor boards.

This list is from memory and is not all inclusive. Lots of additional smaller jobs have been done over the years and items added or replaced. Sails are mostly from my brother-in-law's sail loft in Germany - Diekow Segel. They are now making sails for the German Tall Ship, Gorch Fock.

Actual repairs due to failure have been relatively few thanks to the pro active work. These are all of the past failures over the years that come to mind. Leaking diesel tanks (That one was replaced in 2006. The other (black iron) is beginning to leak.), the broken twin bow chain plates (as a result they were replaced in 2009), and auxiliary rudder shaft that bent when a bolt came loose. It was replaced in 2003.

Current projects include refastening the deck. It has gradually gotten thinner over the years though it's still a half inch thick, so I need to finish setting the teak plugs deeper. Restitch mainsail cover, new slip covers (for upholstery). Future projects: Topside blisters and paint , replace stbd diesel tank.
Replace the last two old chain plates and perhaps the genoa tracks.

Old 28-02-2015, 07:05   #2

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 382
Re: Hans Christian 34 1978

Hi there, any updates since visiting?She's a beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 28-02-2015, 16:26   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeardloon View Post
She's a beauty.
The boat's pretty, too.

https://alegria1976.files.wordpress....2/img_1305.jpg
Old 02-03-2015, 06:15   #4

Updates have been posted to the blog https://alegria1976.wordpress.com
albeit with poor organization. I do need to work on it there and here.
I'm afraid that facing the thought of parting with her (despite looking forward to joining my boyfriend aboard his boat) has dampened my energy and I'm not on top of things.
Even studying comparables is time consuming but having done so, I have lowered my asking price to 64900. I suspected 70,000 was high for todays market but needed to verify it.
I'm happy to answer any specific questions you might have before the info overhaul is done. If I DO take her to Florida, I will have to do so before the hurricane season gets started so preparing the boat has top priority.
Robn
Old 02-03-2015, 07:24   #5

Upon further research, we have changed to asking price to US$64,900. More details if you search online for Alegria Dave Robn Heidi. The top listing should be "It is with sadness that Robn puts her HEIDI on the market"

I (Dave) am SUPER busy, getting ready to fly to Trinidad. We will try to get things much more organized once I get there. Robn is at saltyrobn@gmail.com