Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 00:35   #1

Boat: 30ft-Acen
Guam Boats

Looking fore some help here, it is a small island but there are many boats that go on the market but lack of internet use out here means a lot of the boats get missed or sit forever it seems, does anyone know of a broker or someone that can help out out here. I'm looking fore a 24+ft does not have to be in perfect condition, I have lots of time to invest.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
ShadowRWolf - That is similar to here, although the internet is very prevalent. Most boats still change hands here by word of mouth.

I had a friend ready to import a used J24 with the resutling shipping costs. Over a beer he spoke to a guy who knew one under a tarp. He bought it immediately and saved a bundle.

I don't know about brokers in Guam but getting involved with the local yacht clubs and asking around is key here.

I also spent a lot of time kicking around boat yards and marinas here. When asked what I was up to I explained I was looking for boats to buy. I never got chased off and actually made a couple of leads that way.

Good luck...
Old 12-08-2008, 03:38   #3

ive been poking my noze around with others i work with. they have seen a fue, most of them are crapers hauled out and rotting in peoples yards. probobly going to go down and join the club. lost of stuff here is underhanded with the locals, guam locals are very closed still to ousiders.
Old 13-08-2008, 04:32   #4

whell starting my rounds tomaro, calling up the local marinas and going to start stalking the piers. trying to avoid joining the yaught club out here due to the fact il be moring in the navy base marina.
Old 13-08-2008, 18:35   #5

Boat: Olympic Adventure 47
Is Bob Foote still running that marina?
Old 13-08-2008, 20:09   #6

found a "fixer uper" the guy bought it and hase never used it it hase sat in the watter fore 3 years or so,30 foot, new sails, ferler jib, kinda concerned about the jib ite been on the ferler fore 3 years, the mane hase been in a locker. havent gotten a look inside yeat, the owner is on the USS Housion and its in hawie fore the time. its a jap build all fiberglass, marina ses that its a racer like build. its inbord is sezed up and hase sat fore 3 years, posible rebildabull, its a 1 cilender. defonetly needs some work but the hull looks sound no cracking or aneything visabull. he bought it fore around 6-8k thinking of offering around 4k looks like a lot of work. o also its a mid 80s

whats evreyone think?
Old 13-08-2008, 20:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats View Post
Is Bob Foote still running that marina?
dont think so i talked to Jay Sternadel
Old 13-08-2008, 21:14   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Methinks Japanese make some nice boats
Old 13-08-2008, 21:18   #9

i would link the manufactur # but there is no visabul nubering on it, il have to wate till the owner contacts me
Old 13-08-2008, 21:33   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We have a few boats like that here. One had a brand new genny on the furler. We decided to pull it down. It was in perfect shape except a little triangle by the clew. The furler had been out about 1 foot exposing the sail. It crumbled in our hands. The rest of the sail - protected by the UV strip was perfect. So sad.

Keep looking Shabdow - that boat will be there a while.

Be careful you don't buy a $4,000 boat, put $20,000 in and end up with a $16,000 boat :-(

I did some boat.com searches in "nearby" locations - Unfortunately you are like 1,000 miles from anywhere. I am sure you could look at all the Micronesians and Saipan, maybe the Marshalls at least. Even as far as the Philippines, New Gunea and Solomons might work. I could see island hopping a 28-30 footer through Micronesia as a great adventure (but I am a bit of an idiot - LOL)! Short legs and pick weather windows.
Old 13-08-2008, 21:48   #11

i have no probl droping 20k in to the boat, im not worreyed about re sell value, i knew getting in to this that boats devalue nomader what. there is a fue that are sitting in the harbor of refuge but its a bone yard more or less, most abandon by the owners adn the GOV dosent care. the guy in the marina ses that with some TLC i can rezerect this one. i have 2-3 years out here and a nice navy pay check to burn
Old 14-08-2008, 00:23   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It will be really hard to get a 3rd opinion but if you get serious see if someone can look the boat over for you.

Sail Condition - ($4-$5000 to replace)
Hull Condition (up to unlimited depending on the problems)
Mast Condition ($10-$12,000 to replace)

We have a boat here with a cracked mast, trashed sails and absolutely no interior - It basically makes the boat worth less than zero but the owner won't come off $5,000. Replace everything for $20,000 and you have a $15,000 boat. In other words you are in the hole on this one $10,000 if you pay $5k for it. I offered to take it for free just because I hate to see it rotting away. No deal.
Old 14-08-2008, 00:42   #13

frome my walk arod the hull is sound, it was hauld out 3 years a go no pox or aneything nasty, when i can get a up close il check the core a bit, there are a handfull of servayors out here il hire one drfonitly, the intior is set up fore racing so more fiber glass than aneything elce, so i expect mold, as fore the sail there new 3 years a go never used, just sat in lockers and on the roller, so il see whenever i get my camra fixed il post some pix
Old 15-08-2008, 02:11   #14

yay dug out my dive cam and took these pix shadowrwolf - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 15-08-2008, 17:47   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

She is just about as you describe her. Lot's of TLC needed. But if you have lot's of TLC to give she could be a good boat.

Looks like all the running rigging will need to be replaced, spit-shine-polish etc. etc.

Tags
Guam