Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 10:12   #1

Good Broker in LA Southern California

Hi All:

I am not sure if this is a common problem or not, however, I am having a difficult time trying to find a Broker in Southern California that will truly act as a buyers agent for me in the pursuit of sailboat.

As a sales professional myself, perhaps I am expecting too much out of the brokers I am dealing with, however, my experience has been that of lack of follow up, "I'll sell you a boat if I don't have to work to hard at it", or "what you are looking for is just not around so...see ya!.

If my business had such a captive market, ie: folks who actually come to the brokers to purchase a boat, I would be a happy guy. Instead, in my job, I have to cold canvas, prospect, and dig out customers. When I get a customer, I try to covet the customer as if they are the most important person in the world. I am not finding that in the Yacht Brokerage industry (perhaps I am in the wrong field.)

I am a cash buyer up to 100K. I am looking for a 40-45' sailboat and I want a very good deal. That shouldn't be so hard should it? Well, it's been close to impossible so far.

So...I don't think I am an unreasonable guy. My wife and I know what we want, and I just want a good broker to represent my interests in that pursuit. Does anyone have any recommendations for suggestions for Southern California? I am fresh out of ideas and would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Old 05-11-2014, 15:43   #2
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Good Broker in LA Southern California

We had good luck with Greg from Seacoast Yachts. He's based in Santa Barbara but roams all up and down the west coast.

Best of luck on getting a "very good deal." Kind of like the unicorn... you hear about them from time to time. Although they do exist, you can spend an eternity searching for one. We got some great advice early on in our looking, which was to focus on finding our boat, not a deal. I wish I could remember who said that, I owe them several cases of beer.

JRM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
cal, california