Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2008, 17:40   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Norseman 447
FS: Apelco Loran DXL6350

Is there any interest in this unit, or is this like trying to sell an Edsel with a years supply of New Coke in the trunk?
Old 31-10-2008, 20:14   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
I don't know why anyone would want to buy a loran with poor accuracy, limited coverage, and outdated user interface, when you can get a handheld WAAS GPS with a chart plotting capability for $150 or less. Except maybe someone planning a museum of antique navigational instruments...
Old 31-10-2008, 20:45   #3
Marine Service Provider

this is kind of what I figured -- so what does one do with it, just throw it in the trash, let it navigate its own way to the landfill?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:11   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Is the unit complete including the coupler? Do you still have any of the literature that accompanied the unit?

s/v HyLyte.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-11-2008, 08:56   #5

Ben,
By the way, you have a nice web site and a great boat. Good luck with it--I'll be checking up on your progress!
Ziggy
Old 01-11-2008, 10:09   #6

Ben--

Before discarding or selling your LORAN receiver, take a look at the Coast Guard's Navigation Web-Site in re: eLORAN. The enhanced version of LORAN-C delivers 8 meter positional accuracy and "Legacy" equipment can utilize the up-dated transmissions. Moreover, LORAN is not subject to the issues of GNSS and particularly jamming and signal loss due to solar flare activity.

During a recent cruise to the Florida Keys we lost our primary GPS system due to an electrical malfunction. However, our old RayNav 570 LORAN-C, right there at the Nav table, continued to work and gave us reliable positional, speed and heading data.

If you do choose to sell the unit, you should have no difficulty finding buyers but if you do, send me a PM.

FWIW..

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-11-2008, 10:12   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Loran is not useless it's repeatability is amazing. It'll get you to the same spot every time.
Old 01-11-2008, 13:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
... "Legacy" equipment can utilize the up-dated transmissions.
The old Loran-C receivers don't decode the new Data Channel, which is required to benefit from the enhanced accuracy and other features of eLoran. As far as I know, consumer-grade eLoran receivers have not reached the market yet. It is true that an old Loran-C receiver can provide a backup in case of a GPS system outage or jamming, but with much degraded accuracy (~0.1 nm). But apparently I was quite wrong about the lack of market for the old receivers, based on the enthusiastic responses on this forum and a quick scan of ebay. Ben's unit may be able to fetch $100-$200! Apparently, there is even a market for old RDF units!
Old 01-11-2008, 14:32   #9

FWIW I don't believe I said that "Legacy equipment can decode the new data channel". I believe I said "Legacy" equipment can utilize the up-dated transmissions. Further, with the updated transmissions, Legacy equipment no longer needs defined slave chains. It can utilize any secondaries that can be rec'd. As to accuracy, once an initial position correction is applied for Lat-Lon, reported positions on our RayNav 570 are generally with .01 miles (i.e. 60') of the positions reported by our Garmin 2006C with WASS enabled (and with cross bearings when the GPS isn't working.)

As to whether Ben chooses to keep or sell his LORAN, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a..."

s/v HyLyte
Old 02-11-2008, 09:26   #10
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
There's a brand new, in the box APELCO DXL 6300 on e-bay right now with a starting bid of $9.99, $10 shipping. Someone finally bid $9.99 yesterday.

There's also a 6700. Looks very clean, w/manual, etc. Started $9.99. Now at $20.50.

-dan
Old 02-11-2008, 09:54   #11

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Why remove a working installation that provides backup to your GPS?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:55   #12
Marine Service Provider

Hi All,

Interesting discussion. I do have the manual, and antenna. The wires are currently run in the boat, and I will remove them as best I can if someone would like the unit.

Thanks