Old 12-06-2013, 09:56   #1

Boat: CD 26D.
Freaking Radar!

Anyone? Bueler?!

Old 12-06-2013, 12:49   #2

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Re: Freaking Radar!

I have one on Ebay for sale

18" Raymarine Pathfinder Radar System RL70 LCD 7" Display 49' Cable 2KW WHSB1 | eBay
Old 12-06-2013, 15:04   #3

Awesome, thanks. Does 2kw mean this beast is going to take 2000 watts of power from my batteries? Sweet baby jesus, at that rate they're going to be at 0% in 10 minutes.

Also, how old is it?

Also, how far is its' range of accuracy? Can it detect a ship or object 15 miles away? 10? 5?!!!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 16:39   #4

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Probably best to do some homework on Radar systems before emptying piggy bank on used or new system. Just my two cents.
Old 12-06-2013, 16:48   #5

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Agreed - you need more knowledge before proceeding.

The RL70 is a good, relatively modern system with LCD. It would make an excellent starter system.

The 2kW refers to the power of the pulse, which is very brief. The actual power draw is probably around 4W continuous.

Greg
Old 12-06-2013, 16:52   #6

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

In typical ocean conditions a small boat radar will be hard-pressed to pick up a ship much beyond 10 miles, and it can be difficult even as close as 3-4 miles in rough conditions. That is more a function of the sea condition than the radar. Some small boats can't be seen until very close. Performance depends a lot on whether you select "auto" or know how to manually adjust the radar for best results. A lot to know...

Greg
Old 12-06-2013, 16:55   #7

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMN View Post
Awesome, thanks. Does 2kw mean this beast is going to take 2000 watts of power from my batteries? Sweet baby jesus, at that rate they're going to be at 0% in 10 minutes.

Also, how old is it?

Also, how far is its' range of accuracy? Can it detect a ship or object 15 miles away? 10? 5?!!!!!
Take deep breaths NOMN! 2kw refers to the transmitters output power, and can have a effect on the distance you can receive from.

Investigate which type/size of screen display you wish and the ease with which you can interface with other devices such as GPS
Old 13-06-2013, 11:41   #8

Lol, I do need more information. I guess that's why I am here.

Will the RL70 show me coral reefs, and screech at me and wake me up when a massive ship is approaching?!!

<3~
Old 13-06-2013, 11:48   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

Will the RL70 show me coral reefs, and screech at me and wake me up when a massive ship is approaching?!!

<3~
Maybe you should do some very basic reading on boats, boat equipment, navigation and such.

Radar does not look underwater. Cannot see a reef unless it sticks up above the water and becomes an island.
Old 13-06-2013, 11:59   #10

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Maybe you should do some very basic reading on boats, boat equipment, navigation and such.

Radar does not look underwater. Cannot see a reef unless it sticks up above the water and becomes an island.
Good radar will pick up breaking waves on a reef.
Old 13-06-2013, 12:14   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Certainly, under the right conditions and if you know how to tune it and read it. However in this case I was taking into account the level of expertise of the questioner and did not want to instill too high a level of confidence in what he might personally be able to do with radar, especially an older, used unit that may not have the capabilities and sensitivity of a newer model.
Old 13-06-2013, 14:22   #12

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Hopefully a person will select a course that will avoid breaking waves on a reef!

May I suggest more time in the cockpit checking as to the direction your boat is traveling and if there is anything that may harm you and less time playing with electronic devices.
Old 13-06-2013, 14:43   #13

Boat: Vancouver 27

I bought a used 24' Raytheon off eBay a couple years ago before an extended coastal trip with some buddies. Got it for $800 and built a stern mount for it out of a SS pipe and a piece of sheet metal. Made it over 6000 miles! Sold it afterwards for $600.

If your gonna buy a dar, I wouldn't worry too much about learning how to use it before you get it. It should come with a manual or else just download one. Read it. Play around with it and figure out how to use it. It's not too hard to get a basic feel for what it can do and how to hone it.

I wouldn't call it essential, but there were a couple times on that trip where we were certainly glad to have had it.
Old 13-06-2013, 15:13   #14

Boat: Hylas 44
Quote:

<3~
Dear Nomn,
A radar is useful in fog, and into the night. You must know how to use it and it is not the first piece of electronic I would install in a boat.

A chart plotter with local chart, depth sounder, VHF radio and an AIS should be considered first unless you are sailing in the northern waters.
Old 14-06-2013, 12:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
I bought a used 24' Raytheon off eBay a couple years ago before an extended coastal trip with some buddies. Got it for $800 and built a stern mount for it out of a SS pipe and a piece of sheet metal. Made it over 6000 miles! Sold it afterwards for $600.
How high was this pole? I was thinking about mounting a tall pole and doing something very similar. Would say, an ~8' pole high enough sticking up aft of the cockpit?!

So I take it no radar would be useful to detect a floating shipping container or sleeping whale in the middle of an ocean at 2 'o clock in the morning?!!

I just got this Radar Detector[CIEL ET MARINE], to alert me of approaching commercial vessels when singlehanding, during long voyages.

Would the previously mentioned radar on eBay, uhh, going to be setting my detector off?

Tags
radar