Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 08:34   #1

force 10 cozy cabin kerosene burner

I am looking for a replacement diesel/kerosene burner for my force 10 cabin heater. It uses a normal pressure burner with the addition of a flare tubing fitting soldered to the threaded bottom. Anyone have such a thing tucked away?
Old 05-01-2013, 20:52   #2

Re: force 10 cozy cabin kerosene burner

I have a Patria burner that I bought new for my Cozy Cabin heater and never used it (except for 5 minutes just to make sure it worked). This was a spare so I would be willing to sell it. I paid $115 new and would like to get $80 plus shipping. I am also selling the heater itself which is complete with the burner, spare rebuild kit and pressured fuel tank. I would like $275 plus shipping for that if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 06-01-2013, 10:50   #3

Thanks for the quick reply.

Any chance you can post a pic of the bottom of the burner so I can see if Force 10 modified it the same way the modified mine?

thanks
john
Old 06-01-2013, 20:21   #4

Hi John,

this uses a flare fitting but it threads onto the bottom of the burner as shown underneath the preburn cup. The flare fitting, with a small bracket, gets tightened onto the heater base and is what holds the burner on the heater. I don't know if I explained that clearly but it is the burner only that I would be able to part with as I need the flare fitting for my existing Cozy Cabin heater.

Thanks,
Shawn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7921 - Copy.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	52313  
Old 07-01-2013, 06:42   #5

shawn -

thanks for taking all your time for this. unfortunately, it is not going to work. Force 10 must have decided to cut costs when they came to making my heater (one of the last, i believe). instead of the nice adapter nut you have allowing you to use standard burners, mine has had the bottom modified to accept a flare nut, so i can't use a standard burner as a replacement. i looked into making an adaptor like you have but the burner thread is some completely oddball 19th century thing that would require a custom tap.
just out of curiosity, where are you? - i am in ottawa, canada.

john
Old 07-01-2013, 13:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Can you send a pic? Would be helpful.

While I'm at it, you might want to try Base Camp. I'm in the states but have ordered from them.

base-camp.co.uk
Old 07-01-2013, 18:39   #7

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I'm in New York and sail Long Island Sound...a little more mild than your weather!

Good Luck in your search,
Shawn
Old 08-01-2013, 04:59   #8

here is a pic of the Force 10 modified burner and a regular burner. the bit that has been brazed? silver soldered? into the bottom of the left-hand burner has a small (~1/16") orifice which, according to Force 10, reduces surging. the burner is clogged and because of the small hole in the bottom, i can't try and clean it in the way described on the base camp site (great site for pressure kerosene advice). i can try and remove and re-install the adaptor, remove it and put it on another burner or make a new one (difficult for my limited machining skills because of the small fuel passage)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	burners.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	52456  
Old 08-01-2013, 15:50   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I think I have the same burner in a Force 10 in our aft cabin. Have only lit it once to assure it works. I'll take a look next time I get to the boat if I remember.

In the mean time I'll try to figure a way to make a normal burner fit.

But you might was to try soaking the burner in some carberator cleaner that is intended to get rid of carbon deposits.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:52   #10

the base camp web site has lots on trying to clean burners - 'quench and dunk' seems to be the only successful approach but there are pics of a tool that was available in the heyday of pressure kerosene stoves that pumped air through the burner while heating with a torch. the small hole in my heater burner means i can't try the 1st method so i may try and jury-rig something to try the 2nd.

john

Tags
cabin