Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 22:12   #1

Boat: Samson C-Smoke 40, 42' LOA "La Rocca"
For Sale: SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker

SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker

Only used one time on an 1,800 mi. double-handed North Atlantic passage from 2/'08 - 3/'08 ... (and never in the water). It's a neat little gadget that can offer friends and family (who have access to the internet) a modicum of peace of mind while you're away.

Although I have no opinion about it's "ultimate" usefulness when you're over 500 miles off-shore (knock on wood), it will do everything it's advertised to do with regard to tracking your every move over the deep blue sea.

It's being sold without the original packaging and Owner's Manual (which I assume can be download off the SPOT web-site). Two standard Lithium AA size batteries power the unit continiously for up to six days (which would only be in an "Emergency" situation). It's in like new condition, simple to operate and Guaranteed to work perfectly in the coverage area. SEE: http://www.findmespot.com/en/

PRICE: $100.00 USD +Shipping & Insurance (World Wide from Zip Code 37771 USA)

Shipping Weight: > 1LB. (Batteries Not Included)

Method of Payment: PAYPAL or Cash & Carry.
Old 10-04-2009, 16:05   #2

Does it require any kind of ongoing subscription plan (and payments) to use?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-04-2009, 16:15   #3

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Yes

SERVICE PRICING

John
Old 10-04-2009, 16:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
Does it require any kind of ongoing subscription plan (and payments) to use?

Mike,

The yearly plan runs about $157.00 to get started w/full coverage. There are no additional monthly fees. I'm not familiar with the "emergency use" fee, if any.

There is a stiff "false alarm" fee charged if your brother's wife's sister's friend's four year old gets hold of the device and starts pushing the "HELP" button relentlessly .... or anyone else for that matter. You have to treat this device like a gun that will hit you in the wallet if you're not careful with it.

Unlike a standard life insurance policy, the service plan acts like insurance directed towards rescuing the policy holder, not reimbursing the beneficiary for his or her loss.

Regards,
Richard
Old 10-04-2009, 17:27   #5
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
I use the SPOT on my boat and its a superb device, the manual can be downloaded from the Internet or if needed just PM me and I will be happy to send as a .PDF file.

The SPOT is great for tracking, let family members know via email how your passage is going and for emergencies. If you get into a real bad situation in Blue water the SPOT call center will also contact any ships around that may provide you with assistance.

My SPOT link is: (click below to get to the Google map with current position of the yacht)

Please wait for redirect

JC
Old 11-04-2009, 03:38   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Air View Post
I The SPOT is great for tracking, let family members know via email how your passage is going and for emergencies.
JC
How does the email part of it work?

It used to allow 50,000 characetrs per month,d idnt it? But none now?
I dont get it?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 11-04-2009, 04:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
How does the email part of it work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

It used to allow 50,000 characetrs per month,d idnt it? But none now?
I dont get it?

Mark
I wasn't even aware that there was an email feature. The Google Earth map was the only feature I used. You hit the device on/off button, wait for the correct green led light to start blinking which is the signal that the device has located a satellite and is ready to send, then press the "OK" button and your current position is marked on a Google Earth map that family and friends can locate on the SPOT web site provided they have your SPOT Tracker password.

The locations marked on the map stay there for up to 30 days (maybe longer) and provide a progress report that resembles a "string of pearls" along your route every time you hit the "OK" button. On the passage I used this device on, we had a weather fax but didn't use a weather router. We were overtaken by a huge storm about 150-200 miles out of Norfolk, VA. I bet I hit that "OK" button 50 times in 5 days.
Old 11-04-2009, 15:29   #8

Boat: Lagoon 420
Is there a new model coming out soon? I just received the WM sales brochure, and it is deeply discounted with the mail in rebate. This usually indicates a new model.
Old 11-04-2009, 16:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
Is there a new model coming out soon? I just received the WM sales brochure, and it is deeply discounted with the mail in rebate. This usually indicates a new model.

Hmmm ... your mail or my mail must be running late.

There was a rumor (started by me and Kim Jong-il) that SPOT was going to offer a new model that linked to the North Korean Satellite System .... but those plans have been put on hold for awhile ....

The "deeply discounted WM" price is "$149.99" ... I've seen them listed for up to "169.99". The "Mail In Rebate Offer" from WM ended on 3/31/2009, but that was ONLY if you got the "WM deal" full subscription yearly service package for $172.00 ... AND, unless things have changed since I called the SPOT help line a week ago to make sure that my yearly service subscription hadn't self-renewed itself (which it had on 2/14/2009), the SPOT web site advertises the same service "package deal" for $157.00 +/- a few cents.

Since my SPOT Tracker had not been turned on and nobody pressed the "OK" button to activate it after the renewal date, the $172.00 yearly subscription charge was credited back to my bank account ... no questions asked. I didn't even have to ask to speak to a supervisor!
Old 19-07-2009, 06:27   #10

**SOLD**