Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2008, 15:24   #1

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
For Sale: Raytheon R20X Radar System

I recently pulled this system off OWTW. Included is everything needed to mount this radar on a sailboat (Raytheon mast strut). The interunit cable is 20M long (normal is 15M) and wasn't cut in removing it. Also included are the power cable and two data cables (BNC connectors for the display end, spade lugs for the connections to the boat's data bus). It gets better! Also included is a Raytheon/KVH AP-1000 fluxgate sensor which sends NMEA 0183 HDM sentences back to the radar's compass port (gives ship's magnetic heading). But that's not all! Also included is a spare R20X display and both displays have fresh "keeper" batteries for the units' memory. But I'm still not done! Also included is the original Raytheon R20X manual (no miserable photocopy converted to a PDF!) with fold-out schematics. The AP-1000 "manual" is a PDF hard copy but it's all I could find.

So... scanner, cables, display(s), compass, manuals, and scanner mast mount. How much? Let's try on $995 for the gear. Shipping... truth is, it's not going to be cheap. The displays and scanner weight about 40-50 lbs before packing. The cables and AP-1000 will probably add another 15 lbs. Toss in packing and boxes and so on, and the total shipping weight is going to be in the "under 100 lbs" range. In short, if you can get to the Philadelphia area or the Annapolis area, picking this stuff will be a lot cheaper. Even at today's gas prices.

If it's so great, why am I selling the R20X? Because I have a lust for MARPA support and because the R70+ radar I just installed fits my needs a little better. But for someone who wants a radar for island hopping and for the occasional radar-guided night run, the R20X is still a fine radar.

ADDED:
We bought OWTW in '93 and the radar went on about a year later at the most. This is a "retired" model (Raymarine's term) and has been for a while (superseded by the "XX" series, the R70/80's , and now the A's, C's, E's, etc.). I replaced the R20X with an R70CRC Plus (same size screen, same CRT display, but added SeaTalk and NEMA support plus MARPA) which is also retired.

This R20X package is literally a turnkey setup, reconnect the cables, add 12VDC (and a boat ) and you're set. There are no chopped cables or any other collateral damage from the removal. The scanner support strut's in very good shape and there's a dedicated fluxgate compass for getting the boat's (magnetic) heading. Other than the odd screw here or there, everything that was on the boat is included (even the strut mounting machine screws - all 12 of them).

The R20X is a good basic radar. The 24 nm range is good for tracking rain and the like (dodged more than one squall that way!) as well as giving a good picture of what's around the boat on shorter ranges. Tuning, and sea and rain clutter settings are set manually (as opposed to "automagic" tuning, etc.) which many folks view as a plus. What it won't do is chart support, MARPA, pass data to an external plotter, or share data with another display. It will show lat/long, and info on the current waypoint being used by an autopilot (via a NMEA 0183 data link). This is essentially a stand-alone system.

For those thinking "nice package but there's that CRT display...", the CRT draws about the same as the backlighting on an LCD display. The big power consumers on radars are the transmitter and the motor to spin the antenna, something every radar has. Actually, one of the pluses of the X scanners is the antenna drive is gear driven instead using a belt drive. The belt drive costs less to build but the gears last longer.
Old 26-11-2008, 03:44   #2

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
Thumbs up

Just a quick endorsement for RBEmerson; good solid, honest sailor. Believe everything he says about his radar with no worries, mate! Good luck with the sale.
Old 26-11-2008, 06:36   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
I second that...

We have an R20X aboard our boat and have found it to be an excellent piece of equipment--very durable, and easily tuned to a variety of conditions.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 26-11-2008, 07:26   #4

¡Muchas gracias, amigos! Your checks are in the mail...
Old 03-02-2009, 14:08   #5

Bump - this radar is looking for a new home!
Old 15-03-2009, 13:21   #6

Bump - I'd really like to sell this privately, instead of being reduced to using "fleaBay"...
Old 15-03-2009, 16:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
$$ ?? !!

xx
Old 15-03-2009, 17:39   #8

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I believe he's asking $995 for it. A very fair price, IMO. I wish I could take it, but I won't have a free $1000 in my boat account until deep into the summer, if at all.
Old 15-03-2009, 17:51   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
This would be funny if it did not hurt!
Old 15-04-2009, 02:52   #10

R20X cable

Hello.
Would you only sell me the 16 pin Plug on the R20X cable or the complet R20X cable?

Kind Regards from Berlin,
Jakob
Old 15-04-2009, 05:53   #11

Unfortunately, the cable won't be sold separately - the idea is to sell the radar set as a complete, "ready to go" package.

Aber, bitte, schreiben Sie mal an per e-mail (privat mail) hier - velleicht kann ich Ihnen etwas helfen um ein neue Stecker zu finden oder der alte Stecker renovieren. Sie suchen der runde Stecker mit silberne Haube, ja?
Old 15-04-2009, 13:31   #12

Here is The Picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R20X 16 pin.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	7827  
Old 21-11-2009, 01:05   #13

Hi, I'm interested in this unit. Do you still have it? If so, what is your last asking price?

Regards,
Hassan
Old 21-11-2009, 19:11   #14

Sorry - the system was sold a couple of months ago. You asked about finding a replacement cable. All I can suggest is to try eBay - I've seen them there.

Tags
raytheon