Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2015, 11:07   #1

Boat: Custom, Ingrid ketch/cutter, 39.5 LOD
Ferro Ingrid Ketch 47' LOA For Sale Or Trade

$15,000 USD, or trade for a CANADIAN boat located in CANADIAN WATERS.

The vessel is moored at Northwest Creek Marina, New Bern area, North Carolina.

I am unable to physically get there to retrieve her.

She would be a great liveaboard, and the design is very sea kindly. Her rudder is steel, the hull was professionally laid-up.

You can ask the staff to view her, just let me know ahead when you want a viewing.

The vessel was just dove and cleaned, and the mechanic serviced and ran the engine. He reports everything perfect, and bilge dry. Perkins 4-108
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overview.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	102099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thats50aMnthExtra.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	102100  

Name:	alittleshadey.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	102101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loookaft.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	102102  

Name:	Berth1.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	102103   Click image for larger version

Name:	perky4108.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	102104  

Name:	access bilge.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	102105   Click image for larger version

Name:	handshowerHeady.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	102106  

Name:	captchairs.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	102107   Click image for larger version

Name:	hahaha.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	102108  

Name:	samson1.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	102109   Click image for larger version

Name:	rig2.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	102110  

Old 02-06-2015, 21:53   #2

Boat: Alberg 30 Ft
Re: Ferro Ingrid Ketch 47' LOA For Sale Or Trade

Hello ijiraq,

Did you commission the building of this boat or did someone else and you are the lucky first owner? Do you know of any other ferro boats with stainless mesh?

Has she ever been registered and insured?

Your pictures are a year old. Is she still floating?

NYCLB1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijiraq View Post
$15,000 USD, or trade for a CANADIAN boat located in CANADIAN WATERS.

The vessel is moored at Northwest Creek Marina, New Bern area, North Carolina.

I am unable to physically get there to retrieve her.

She would be a great liveaboard, and the design is very sea kindly. Her rudder is steel, the hull was professionally laid-up.

You can ask the staff to view her, just let me know ahead when you want a viewing.

The vessel was just dove and cleaned, and the mechanic serviced and ran the engine. He reports everything perfect, and bilge dry. Perkins 4-108
Old 04-06-2015, 19:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLB1970 View Post
Hello ijiraq,

Did you commission the building of this boat or did someone else and you are the lucky first owner? Do you know of any other ferro boats with stainless mesh?

Has she ever been registered and insured?

Your pictures are a year old. Is she still floating?

NYCLB1970
She was not laid up with stainless mesh. It was an error I made when interpreting plans. She had been cg registered and insured. Bilge is dry, mechanic inspected last month. I invite you to go see her if you are interested.
Old 04-06-2015, 20:20   #4

Quote:
She was not laid up with stainless mesh. It was an error I made when interpreting plans. She had been cg registered and insured. Bilge is dry, mechanic inspected last month. I invite you to go see her if you are interested.
I am in Nashville, Tn. Most of my sailing was out of Long Beach, CA. When was this boat last surveyed? When did you buy it? What did you pay for it? Why did you allow the coast guard regristeration expire? Who was the builder? How long has it been moored at New Bern?

Purchasing a ferro cement boat is risky to say the least. There is not a seller's market for ferro cement boats. Just like there is not a market for log houses! Please do not be insulted, a licensed boat surveyor doesn't make mistakes.

I am 70 years old and retired. I might consider taking a chance on your boat.
Old 04-06-2015, 22:34   #5

Quote:
Please do not be insulted, a licensed boat surveyor doesn't make mistakes.
I wouldn't be so sure about that although what exactly is a licensed surveyor? Accredited maybe (which doesn't really mean a whole lot). Is there somewhere where they are actually licensed and have to meet standards to obtain that license?

Sounds like an asking price of 15K has already taken the Ferro construction into consideration.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:59   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We walked by the boat day before yesterday. It is floating and doesn't look to bad, especially for 15k.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-06-2015, 08:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that although what exactly is a licensed surveyor? Accredited maybe (which doesn't really mean a whole lot). Is there somewhere where they are actually licensed and have to meet standards to obtain that license?

Sounds like an asking price of 15K has already taken the Ferro construction into consideration.
My past experience is the boat owner/seller usually has the most knowledge about the condition and history of the boat he is selling. I have owned five yachts from 20 to 45 feet LOA since 1970. That is 10 buy/sell transactions. All had a marine survey before final terms were finalized. You are not selling a 16 ft outboard run about, but a unconventional 47 Ft yacht. A knowlegable buying decision should be based on an independent Marine Survey. At a minimum, I would like to see the seller answer my questions. Purchasing a cement boat should include "buyer be ware" and "trust but verify". If you are unwilling to answer my questions - I won't take up any more of your time.

Attached link discusses Marine Surveys. If the link doesn't come thru, I can send it to an email address.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boat-content/2015/02/pre-purchase-yacht-surveys-need-know/
Thank you.
Old 14-06-2015, 16:18   #8

Finding a surveyor that can competently survey ferro-cement is rare, at best.
Old 14-06-2015, 16:35   #9

thanks for the link. I have not had a new survey done. I did contact 2 local surveyors whom both refused to survey her. The closest thing was a Canadian friend passing through, he admitted that while everything seemed to be in place, he couldn't adequately survey the vessel in the water, and he had never surveyed a cement boat before, but he insisted that storing it on the hard, or subjecting it to sub-zero temperatures would likely destroy the hull over time. He suggested that I do not try to sail a ferro boat in arctic waters, which was something I was contemplating.

I know cement has some inherent weaknesses, such as -it will eventually turn to powder. That being said, you should have 20 good years out of this vessel before it is landfill.

As far as ferros go, she is a gem, from my knowledge of the boats. Very Well built, and nice and dry inside. The only thing I could tell you would be to go see her, and bring a surveyor.

Yes she floats. Yes the pictures are old, and she needs a better paint job. I can't go to take pictures. She is a strong hull plan with no dangerous stress points. The only deviation from plans are that she is slightly longer that initial design, but no where near long enough for this to be an issue, considering her lay up.
Old 14-06-2015, 18:39   #10

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
I know cement has some inherent weaknesses, such as -it will eventually turn to powder. That being said, you should have 20 good years out of this vessel before it is landfill.
Thats not true - properly built ferro hulls have lasted over 100 years - where maintenance is minimised they will certainly outlast timber and steel.
Old 14-06-2015, 19:22   #11

yes, that is my PERSONAL opinion also... I love the material. I am saying that ALL boat building materials will break down. The just do it differently. Steel rusts, fiberglass delaminates, aluminum stress fatigues and cracks, wood rots, ferro-cement erodes and crumbles some day...
Old 14-06-2015, 19:35   #12

Quote:
I am in Nashville, Tn. Most of my sailing was out of Long Beach, CA. When was this boat last surveyed? When did you buy it? What did you pay for it? Why did you allow the coast guard regristeration expire? Who was the builder? How long has it been moored at New Bern?

Purchasing a ferro cement boat is risky to say the least. There is not a seller's market for ferro cement boats. Just like there is not a market for log houses! Please do not be insulted, a licensed boat surveyor doesn't make mistakes.

I am 70 years old and retired. I might consider taking a chance on your boat.
It has been a while since proper survey, 3 years I think. I bought it over a year ago. I didn't allow the reg' to expire, a previous owner did. It has lived in New Bern NW Creek Marina for over 2 years now. Was lived aboard a year ago. The official builder listed on registration was Norris Yachts.
Old 19-06-2015, 15:08   #13

Is the boat currently registered anywhere now? If so, where? Is the registration in your name or the prior owner?

If not, what type of registration did it have last - US Federal Coast Guard, State of North Carolina, Federal Canadian Coast Guard, a Canadian province? Is the registration in your name or the prior owner? When did that registration expire?

Since you are in Canada, and this is not listed through a broker, how do you anticipate executing the sale and with what documentation?

Old 19-06-2015, 15:38   #14

Quote:
My past experience is the boat owner/seller usually has the most knowledge about the condition and history of the boat he is selling. I have owned five yachts from 20 to 45 feet LOA since 1970. That is 10 buy/sell transactions. All had a marine survey before final terms were finalized. You are not selling a 16 ft outboard run about, but a unconventional 47 Ft yacht. A knowlegable buying decision should be based on an independent Marine Survey. At a minimum, I would like to see the seller answer my questions. Purchasing a cement boat should include "buyer be ware" and "trust but verify". If you are unwilling to answer my questions - I won't take up any more of your time.

Attached link discusses Marine Surveys. If the link doesn't come thru, I can send it to an email address.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boat-content/2015/02/pre-purchase-yacht-surveys-need-know/
Thank you.
I am not the seller and am very familiar with surveys.

You said that licensed surveyors don't make mistakes and I asked what you meant by that?

I have seen surveyors miss critical things and I would classify that as a mistake. I have never seen a US surveyor with any kind of license although my experience with licenses in general has been that usually all you need is the fee!

I agree that a boat should be surveyed but beware. I wonder how many surveyors there are competent in Ferro?
Old 19-06-2015, 16:00   #15

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Ferro hulls only need one survey to tell you how it was constructed and after that old age will tell you how well it was constructed. The badly built ones are obvious after a couple of decades. There are some great 1970's ocean going ferros in NZ.

Tags
ferro, for sale, ketch, loa, sale, trade