Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2010, 09:12   #1

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to Eco Voyager Send a message via Skype™ to Eco Voyager
Electric Anchor Winch

I am replacing my manual Muir winch with an electric one. Does anyone have one to suit:
35ft Pilothouse cutter
8.44 tonnes
using 8mm (5/16) HT chain and 14mm rode

Anyone got any suggestions as I have two options:

replace the manual with the electric or
install electric to PORT and manual to STB as back up (spare)
does the manual function of most electrics work easily? The muir style vertical winches look like they use a small winch handle so I wondered if the mechanical advantage is limited and thus hard to use manually if needed. This is why I thought perhaps I should keep the manual horizontal winch with long handle with easy operation or is that an overkill?

My concept is to go:

50 metres HT 8mm chain plus 50 metres 14mm nylon rode
with another 50 metres 8mm HT chain stored down below to replace the rode (when conditions warrant it) as I will sail mainly in tropical reef waters.

At the moment I have 42 metres of 10mm (3/8) and 5 metres of 14mm nylon rode. I want to reduce the chain weight and bulk as I have limited anchor well and at the moment it piles up. I think the 8mm HT chain will be fine for my size boat in all conditions. I will of course use a good long snubber and tie off to bollard not the winch.

Any comments will be appreciated to guide me into buying the best winch/rode combination for my needs.

Colin
Sydney, Australia

Why doesn't everyone say where they are currently located in their ads? It would save a lot of wasted time to know if the sellers are nearby and posting is viable!!!!! So often i see postings asking "where are you located?"
Old 30-09-2010, 09:47   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i would keep the manual for your second anchor and use the electric one as primary.
i have a lofrans electric on my formosa and i have been looking for a simson lawrence manual for my secondary.
Old 03-10-2010, 15:52   #3

Boat: 27 Ericson-30ft Sea Ray
Hi, I have a Lofrans 24 volt primary and a secondary Lofrans at the starboard stern with only the drum exposed. I will be parting out a 1983 46ft Bertram Sportfish soon. All the equipment is top shelf. I am in the U.S. in Georgia.
Old 03-10-2010, 16:51   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
wish ye was in kali--i could use a second windlass. i have a 12 v lofrans on my foredeck. i want a simpson lawrence sea witch. is manual.
Old 18-10-2010, 20:58   #5

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to Eco Voyager Send a message via Skype™ to Eco Voyager
I have now managed to find a used Lewmar electric winch and will keep the manual one as well, as a backup. Thanks for all your comments.
Cheers, Colin

Tags
anchor