Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 19:18   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Cruising Sailboat

Deven - if you even think that someone who has been given something for free and is going to maintain it then you do not know human nature. I would only give away what I wanted destroyed in a few months. And I would only give a gift that size to someone that I did not care about.
BTW I really don't expect you to understand.
Old 06-02-2013, 21:14   #92

Boat: C&C 25

Oh Lord won`t you buy me a Mercedes Benz,

Culture of `Hope and Change`
Old 06-02-2013, 21:37   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
Your friends all driving Porsches?

Coops had no luck approaching the Porsche Club, but don't let that discourage you. Do you have a local Mercedes Club you could try?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 06-02-2013, 21:44   #94

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Just one thing. If you find two will you give me one?

Please.

Don't eve care it it's a drive away. I'll even take a 914.
Sorry, I gave away a couple of 914's after we got this boat. They weren't exactly in "sail away condition".
Old 06-02-2013, 22:32   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You know, I wish that i had that kind of nerve, or even smarts. I have worked and saved, gone without things etc. just to get enough money to buy my boats. What a fool, all I had to do was ask. Ah well, might go and try that tactic on the Porsche owners Club, wish me luck folks.
Coops.
Quote:
Well! What a miserable pack of buggers they turned out to be. They told me to sod off and then banned me. But I shall teach them, I will ask for a free bulldozer on the agricultural forum and then run over all of their glorified VW's.
Coops.
Coops, you give up too easily. You need a better strategy than just contacting the club officials. I think the best approach would be to attend to next local club meeting on the 12th of Feb (it's five days away so you have a little time to rehearse, although not enough time to grow a ponytail). Wait until the wine has flowed for a while and then make your pitch .

Let us know how you get on .

PS Dropping all reference to "glorified VW's may be a good start"

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 06-02-2013, 22:34   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Your friends all driving Porsches?

Coops had no luck approaching the Porsche Club, but don't let that discourage you. Do you have a local Mercedes Club you could try?
I was frankly, totally disgusted by their behaviour SS. They wanted to know if i deserved a free Porsche and also demanded some background to the story. So I just told them the truth. " My real name is Lance Armstrong and i have been the victim of a systematic character assassination just because I had a few likkle chemicals in my system which apparently helped me. As a consequence of this, I am now basically broke, I still have my mansion and assorted goodies, but my supercars have gone and you just know how used to driving them you get. Please do not offer me inferior 924's or any vehicle with full ashtrays or tyres that have not been shined"

They then made fun of me, so I insulted them all and told them that I would never be back.

Coops.
Old 06-02-2013, 22:59   #97

Boat: Ocean Alexander
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Deven - if you even think that someone who has been given something for free and is going to maintain it then you do not know human nature. I would only give away what I wanted destroyed in a few months. And I would only give a gift that size to someone that I did not care about.
BTW I really don't expect you to understand.
Newt I completely understand what you're getting at. However sometimes individual humans surprise us. Once in a great while someone actually knows what to do after receiving something much larger than their means.

The problem with gifts larger than what a person can, or has managed on their own is that don't know how to manage it - just like when someone of limited means wins the lottery. Fun to fantasize about most often a significant weight around the neck.

Some have said there is no such thing as altruism. I actually agree with the principle because even gifting something in complete secrecy has a reward. It becomes a gift to both because the outcome doesn't matter to the giver
Old 07-02-2013, 01:05   #98
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
I never can resist putting the shoe leather to the dead equine...

I was just having a conversation at work about why I try to follow "the rules" in life, like stopping at stop signs and waiting my turn in lines (queues). My point being that people like the OP who are generally tools are modeling certain behaviors for their kids. How can I expect my kid to follow my rules if all I do is model rule-breaking behavior? He's teaching his kids alright, but I'm not sure he realizes what he's teaching them. Good luck instilling work ethic, and stamping out the sense of entitlement if you display a lack of the former and abundance of the latter yourself.

I love the his claim to be "socially experimenting." That's awesome. Kind of a "crap they realize I'm an ass, quick, attempt damage control; nuts I'm just making it worse, now no-one will give me anything so I'll lash out and leave" thing. Now, I'm not above lobbing the occasional verbal (or textual) grenade into a conversation for entertainment, that's just my nature (and hypocritically I don't do it in front of my kid) but I would hope that no-one takes me seriously. Heck, I rarely take myself seriously.

Rather than mere objects or possessions, isn't it kinder to give of oneself? Therefore, in lieu of a boat, I'd like everyone to spend an hour or three grinding, sanding, and painting on mine. "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give him a faired bottom with barrier coat and fresh bottom paint and he can fish for a lifetime."

JRM
Old 07-02-2013, 01:24   #99

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
" My real name is Lance Armstrong and i have been the victim of a systematic character assassination just because I had a few likkle chemicals in my system which apparently helped me.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:13   #100
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post

Culture of `Hope and Change`
"Yes, I have a Ferrari!"

(not really!)........I am awaiting Don's cover version - about Hunters!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:16   #101
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Lol I find it amusing that he was offended. Ya think panhandlers are offended when someone tells them to get a job?
Old 07-02-2013, 03:50   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

perhaps the op is setting his sights too high!

all it takes is a bit of effort!

BBC NEWS | Technology | Man turns paper clip into house
Old 07-02-2013, 04:16   #103
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising Sailboat

Dear Max Powers,

Due to inflation/bank rates the boat has now incurred a storage charge of 556 euro....
Payment of the above must be made within 48hrs of receiving this correspondence.
Failure to comply will incur a penalty of 19.80% per month (according to my credit card company).
Payment can be made via PayPal/Visa/Mastercard.

Yours Sincerely,

Boatman61

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 07-02-2013, 04:23   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicyachty View Post
Can someone donate $55,000,000 dollars to me? I will make good use of every single one. I will send you postcards and holiday gifts from my travels and name the first born after you.
I get weekly e-mail announcements about winning different amounts of money or business proposals to share heritage from different African countries. I can forward these to you as donation.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:46   #105

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Here are the facts - and they are not open for debate.

1. I have free will to make any request I like, in any manner I like.
2. Others have free will to fullfill that request or not.

I am greatly offended that certain individuals (who likely do not even have an unused or unwanted boat or would accept gratitude in exchange) seem to believe they have the right to interfere and/or subject me and my request to their judgement. Those people can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.
I've been reading and chuckling from the sidelines, but this comment by "Max" (not even his real name) is just so laughable as to demand a response. Your request, and especially your subsequent huffy responses, demonstrates a severe lack of basic social skills. My wife, who often deals with developmentally delayed children, describes someone like you as having "poor pragmatics." IOW, someone who is socially out-of-touch. Autism produces this kind of effect. Perhaps "Max" is on the autistic spectrum (I offer this as a serious comment, not as an insult)?

Your comment about having the "free will" to ask any question you want ignores the social context of who we are as human social animals. Not all questions, or requests in this case, are acceptable. To say you have "free will" to ask what you want, is to ignore this basic human fact. Even though you have the "free will" to phrase any question, or indeed do any thing, you cannot expect to do so without social repercussions.

You cannot ask, "Can I have sex with your 10-year-old daughter?" without incurring the wrath of everyone within earshot. If you are caught lying, you will receive the negative judgement of the pack. And if you butt in line or cut someone off on the road, you can expect to receive a frosty response. So while you may have the "free will" to say whatever silly thing pops into your mind, to do so simply ignores the basic reality of living with others.

Tags
cruising, sailboat