Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 14:37   #76

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Cruising Sailboat

I hope Black Oak gets to Bermuda in 5-7 years, going first to the Caribbean, then through the Panama Canal and nice and slow through the south Pacific. When he finally returns to Florida, he can give his boat to Max Power. . . .
Old 06-02-2013, 14:40   #77

Boat: Mac 26X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant
I hope Black Oak gets to Bermuda in 5-7 years, going first to the Caribbean, then through the Panama Canal and nice and slow through the south Pacific. When he finally returns to Florida, he can give his boat to Max Power. . . .
And I hope he continues to post his mis-adventures all those 5-7 years! That thread is WAY better than this one!
Old 06-02-2013, 15:25   #78
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
thank you. this is some helpful advice and i think we will do something like that.

as to the folks that think i must submit to their judgement as to whether or not we are 'deserving', or dance for them in hopes of them tossing me a scrap...

Here's the thing you all failed to realize - and it's time to look yourselves in the mirror.......

The request was written in a very specific manner, for a very specific purpose. It has achieved one of it's goals - as a bit of a social experiment.

Here are the facts - and they are not open for debate.

1. I have free will to make any request I like, in any manner I like.

2. Others have free will to fullfill that request or not.

3. The request was written to specifically address individuals who might 'have an boat that is unwanted or unused'. Those here who do not have an unused or unwanted boat have no business getting involved in determing whether or not the request should be fullfilled.

4. The request was written to state that 'the only thing we offer in return is gratitude'. That is the offer, take it or leave it. It is not subject to renegotiation.

I hold no misgivings toward anyone who would simply say 'The request wasn't directed toward me' or 'I have an unused boat but would prefer not to give it away' and move on. If any individual does have an unused or unwanted boat, it's up to them to determine whether or not they would like donate it - and their choice is honored.

I am greatly offended that certain individuals (who likely do not even have an unused or unwanted boat or would accept gratitude in exchange) seem to believe they have the right to interfere and/or subject me and my request to their judgement. Those people can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

To the forum staff: Thank you for publishing my request. I no longer need my account here. I am off to continue educating my children about what 'Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness' really means and also to teach them about those whou would stand in the way of those rights if they could.
ROFLMAO....
Hey... whose debating... apart from you...
One thing you can teach your kids about freedom, liberty and happiness is don't beg on the internet... you'll get verbal.. or at the very least questions... its called Freedom, Liberty and Happiness
Teach em to beg on the street.. folk tend to just walk by without comment... or toss a coin in the hat.
As to standing in the way of their rights... you sound to me very much like a member on here called Lola or some such who bums a living on the dole in a country thats not his... no one is entitled to free anything... unless you try emigrating to the UK...
Dumb buga's in Social Services would likely grant your every wish coz your not English...
I take it your not interested in my offer then

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 06-02-2013, 15:36   #79

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
I am greatly offended that certain individuals (who likely do not even have an unused or unwanted boat or would accept gratitude in exchange) seem to believe they have the right to interfere and/or subject me and my request to their judgement. Those people can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

To the forum staff: Thank you for publishing my request. I no longer need my account here. I am off to continue educating my children about what 'Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness' really means and also to teach them about those whou would stand in the way of those rights if they could.
Haha, well, you finally confirmed it as a big troll. Touche. And to think you went to the trouble to start a little blog and everything...
Old 06-02-2013, 15:37   #80

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Well! What a miserable pack of buggers they turned out to be. They told me to sod off and then banned me. But I shall teach them, I will ask for a free bulldozer on the agricultural forum and then run over all of their glorified VW's.

Coops.
What an interesting mind! Stay thirsty my friend!
Old 06-02-2013, 15:41   #81

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
After we got there he hits me up for $5 more because he wants a cup of coffee. "Dude, I gave you $5 and a ride." "Oh, come on man" he says as he gets indignant.
Unfortunately, seems like there are more and more of these types these days - goes along with the everybody gets a trophy mentality.
Old 06-02-2013, 15:49   #82

Boat: O'day 302, 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

You might also want to throw in some stuff about the need to make own money (and luck!) in life as standing in line with a handout limits yer choices.
+5000. But it's easier just to ask stuff, apparently. Whatever happened to self-pride?
Old 06-02-2013, 16:31   #83

Boat: Irwin 40

I just came across this thread and I have to admit I am dumbfounded. I worked my ass off for my boat, I have spend many years working hard for the lifestyle I enjoy and here comes someone who seems to think it should just be handed to him on a silver platter. Really? At the risk of sounding like an old bastard this is what is wrong with much of our youth they seem to think things will just be given to them for no other reason than they asked. He calls this a “social experiment” like that will make it something meaningful. He provides no information about himself not even his real name. He says he is educating his children well that alone I find scary as they will likely grow up thinking it is ok to just ask for and get things without anything in return. Society is based on members working together for a better lifestyle for all not just single individuals. Yes we expect our work to pay off for our own personal benefit but we also do that work to benefit others either directly or indirectly. If we all just sat back and expected things to be given to us society would collapse, now that would be a social experiment! And to top it off this person is so arrogant to apparently just dismiss all who offer an opinion and may question his motives. At least he appears to be stopping short of just going out and “taking’ a boat. Ok off my soap box but I am just insulted by the way this person thinks and has responded to the good folks here who have worked hard for what we have!
Old 06-02-2013, 16:33   #84

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I have no problem with OP asking for a free boat!

But it does annoy me that he has put so little effort into it

I agree completely. It doesn't even have to be a sob story.

How about the original post just saying we're a family, making ends meet and would like to move from land onto a boat. Can't afford to purchase a boat, but would be willing to work something out with the owner to take care of it or pay him over time to eventually buy it or cover dockage..etc. Anything would be better than what was posted.

I do think there are opportunities, but I don't think they are going to be found with a request like he made.
Old 06-02-2013, 16:33   #85
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I take it your not interested in my offer then
What bout my offer???
Old 06-02-2013, 16:38   #86

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Gotta give ol' Max credit for one of the most successful trolls ever!!

His "social experiment" (or whatever title he used) has ended with him feeling abused, some of us feeling amused, and some indignant as well.

The internet is ever interesting...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06-02-2013, 16:41   #87

Boat: Irwin 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Gotta give ol' Max credit for one of the most successful trolls ever!!

His "social experiment" (or whatever title he used) has ended with him feeling abused, some of us feeling amused, and some indignant as well.

The internet is ever interesting...

Cheers,

Jim
LOL well said the fun never stops! maybe that is the secret to the internet success!
Old 06-02-2013, 16:55   #88

Boat: Columbia 34 mk 2
Send a message via Skype™ to deventw

Max power, mate you seem to receive a lot of mail from guys that should rather have kept their comments to themselves. I see no harm in your request as you rightly said, many people have boats that because of personal factors beyond their control force them to either donate their boats, leave them rotting in the water or on the hard. What is wrong giving it some individual that would love to sail and care for it. Good luck and I hope you get a beautiful blue water boat soon
Old 06-02-2013, 17:00   #89

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Ram, I think it is time to put down that water melon! You might hurt yourself, lifting it for months! Mauritz
Old 06-02-2013, 19:15   #90

Boat: I have been from 8' sabot to a 65' Ketch. I am over the Norsea 27 and looking for 50'+

Max, what about a job and you earn the boat you would like? The boat you describe is going to be at least $100k and it will have issues! I have owned 16 boats and each and each one of them had issues. Personally I would donate a boat so i would receive a tax write off!

Tags
cruising, sailboat