Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 10:00   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Cruising Sailboat

If you want someone to give you a boat you would be better served to get in your car and drive to the marinas and ask about all the boats that are there,I bet at the end of a week you would have as many "money pits" as you want...Start in NJ along the coastline...You will get nothing sitting on your hands,If you go at it with a "work attitude" as oppposed to a stand on a corner with a "will work for food attitude"(then when I offer work you say you have got to stay there because a lady is going to bring you some food!)I think you will get a boat...
Old 06-02-2013, 10:43   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
If you want someone to give you a boat you would be better served to get in your car and drive to the marinas and ask about all the boats that are there,I bet at the end of a week you would have as many "money pits" as you want...Start in NJ along the coastline...You will get nothing sitting on your hands,If you go at it with a "work attitude" as oppposed to a stand on a corner with a "will work for food attitude"(then when I offer work you say you have got to stay there because a lady is going to bring you some food!)I think you will get a boat...
thank you. this is some helpful advice and i think we will do something like that.

as to the folks that think i must submit to their judgement as to whether or not we are 'deserving', or dance for them in hopes of them tossing me a scrap...

Here's the thing you all failed to realize - and it's time to look yourselves in the mirror.......

The request was written in a very specific manner, for a very specific purpose. It has achieved one of it's goals - as a bit of a social experiment.

Here are the facts - and they are not open for debate.

1. I have free will to make any request I like, in any manner I like.

2. Others have free will to fullfill that request or not.

3. The request was written to specifically address individuals who might 'have an boat that is unwanted or unused'. Those here who do not have an unused or unwanted boat have no business getting involved in determing whether or not the request should be fullfilled.

4. The request was written to state that 'the only thing we offer in return is gratitude'. That is the offer, take it or leave it. It is not subject to renegotiation.

I hold no misgivings toward anyone who would simply say 'The request wasn't directed toward me' or 'I have an unused boat but would prefer not to give it away' and move on. If any individual does have an unused or unwanted boat, it's up to them to determine whether or not they would like donate it - and their choice is honored.

I am greatly offended that certain individuals (who likely do not even have an unused or unwanted boat or would accept gratitude in exchange) seem to believe they have the right to interfere and/or subject me and my request to their judgement. Those people can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

To the forum staff: Thank you for publishing my request. I no longer need my account here. I am off to continue educating my children about what 'Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness' really means and also to teach them about those whou would stand in the way of those rights if they could.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:02   #63
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
I am off to continue educating my children about what 'Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness' really means and also to teach them about those whou would stand in the way of those rights if they could.
You might also want to throw in some stuff about the need to make own money (and luck!) in life as standing in line with a handout limits yer choices.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:17   #64

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
thank you. this is some helpful advice and i think we will do something like that.

as to the folks that think i must submit to their judgement as to whether or not we are 'deserving', or dance for them in hopes of them tossing me a scrap...

Here's the thing you all failed to realize - and it's time to look yourselves in the mirror.......

Also the fact that "I won't be back" suggests that you a a bit overconfident in your abilities. Even if there is no free boat to be had on this forum there is a mountain of knowledge to be gleaned that could be put to use keeping your family safe if you do get a boat.

Good luck and safe travels.

The request was written in a very specific manner, for a very specific purpose. It has achieved one of it's goals - as a bit of a social experiment.

Here are the facts - and they are not open for debate.

1. I have free will to make any request I like, in any manner I like.

2. Others have free will to fullfill that request or not.

3. The request was written to specifically address individuals who might 'have an boat that is unwanted or unused'. Those here who do not have an unused or unwanted boat have no business getting involved in determing whether or not the request should be fullfilled.

4. The request was written to state that 'the only thing we offer in return is gratitude'. That is the offer, take it or leave it. It is not subject to renegotiation.

I hold no misgivings toward anyone who would simply say 'The request wasn't directed toward me' or 'I have an unused boat but would prefer not to give it away' and move on. If any individual does have an unused or unwanted boat, it's up to them to determine whether or not they would like donate it - and their choice is honored.

I am greatly offended that certain individuals (who likely do not even have an unused or unwanted boat or would accept gratitude in exchange) seem to believe they have the right to interfere and/or subject me and my request to their judgement. Those people can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

To the forum staff: Thank you for publishing my request. I no longer need my account here. I am off to continue educating my children about what 'Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness' really means and also to teach them about those whou would stand in the way of those rights if they could.

Lil defensive there bub... Me thinks you protest to much and your skin is a bit too thin.

You remind me of the guy at the gas station the other day. Asked for $5 to fix his tire at the repair place down the street. Had the tire with him. I gave him the money and offered him a ride the 2 blocks to the place. He accepted. After we got there he hits me up for $5 more because he wants a cup of coffee. "Dude, I gave you $5 and a ride." "Oh, come on man" he says as he gets indignant. "Get the f**k out of my truck."

OP seems like the type of Dbag that would get a free boat then trash the previous owner because of bad bearing in the furler.

Just my opinion..
Old 06-02-2013, 11:31   #65

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

So in fact what you are teaching your children is to ....."entreat earnestly, implore, or supplicate. It often occurs for the purpose of securing a material benefit, generally for a gift, donation or charitable donation".

Think its called begging! Well that is a Wiki quote above!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:39   #66
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I’ve been thinking on getting rid of my Beloved second boat for a while,, I just can’t handle 2 of them anymore- I tried to sell it but had no takers- If you want it--its yours FREE - In Perfect condition-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	postcard1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	54119  
Old 06-02-2013, 11:47   #67
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

there is a old saying:

Beggars can't be choosers!

But apparently they can be very judgmental of those they beg from.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:53   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

boatman... sorry to disappoint and back out of our agreement... But I have a better offer and going to take ram up on taking command of the....

square-ish... rigged... naval tank like... armored barge-ee ...radar enhanced craft.... It looks like it as one beautiful airy port and advanced above water forward looking periscopy things...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 06-02-2013, 12:04   #69

Hey this is my first post on CF, but I couldn't resist this particular thread. I'm in a similar situation to the OP in that I would eventually like to take the wife and kids cruising, but don't currently have the means to make it a reality. At least not at this point in life.

I used to sail as a kid with my father, and learned on lasers, hobie holders, and a forgiving 14ft flying junior (full race yeah). I fondly remember hiking out while taking the brunt of waves hammering the bow. Great experience as a kid and something my father could afford at the time. That FJ has been since donated at the 'request' of another, and it's in pristine condition for its age.

That said and 20 years later I'm ready to start passing my experiences on to my own kids. I have started a 10 year plan where I'll be socking away change and keeping a balanced budget. If all goes well I will be able to realize a dream of boat ownership hopefully in the 30 - 40ft range but in the interim probably closer to 17'. Starting small gives my kids an opportunity to get used to boating and helps me gauge if they they will enjoy a larger family adventure offshore. The wife is already on board because she's awesome.

I understand the OP was asking a simple question, what I find interesting is how he wasn't expecting the response. Social experiment indeed. People amaze me, which isn't hard because I'm mostly socially inept.

Time to return to the BlackOaks thread and continue waiting for my turn.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:09   #70
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
boatman... sorry to disappoint and back out of our agreement... But I have a better offer and going to take ram up on taking command of the....

square-ish... rigged... naval tank like... armored barge-ee ...radar enhanced craft.... It looks like it as one beautiful airy port and advanced above water forward looking periscopy things...
A wise choice, but Max has first dibs , if he don’t want it maybe he would give or sell it to you , so dont burn the Boatman bridge yet !
Old 06-02-2013, 12:22   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
A wise choice, but Max has first dibs , if he don’t want it maybe he would give or sell it to you , so dont burn the Boatman bridge yet !
Sorry Ram.... I guess I got a little excited and pushed my way in there... You must know the feeling though... Some boats just talk to you, and you are impossible to resist...

Max might be OK... I might have hooked him up with this...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...0-a-97541.html

Maybe the owner will lower his price....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 06-02-2013, 12:24   #72

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

RAM...does your pictured JUNK cruiser come with A/C, Raytheon Radar, GPS and a SatNav Comm? Sheesh...don't be mean to me...just askin' Mauritz
Old 06-02-2013, 12:47   #73

Boat: g-cat 5. m

Cal welcome to the forum.
That must be a new concept,making plans and setting a goal and then working towards them. I think you are on to somthing. Enjoy forum,most of us do.
Old 06-02-2013, 13:16   #74
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californium View Post
I have started a 10 year plan where I'll be socking away change and keeping a balanced budget.
Thread drift ...........into reality .

Welcome to the forum - methinks Blackoaks adventures will continue for a while yet .
Old 06-02-2013, 14:11   #75

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

If BlackOak does not get to Bermuda soon and retire his 400+ respondants thread, maybe I should consider flying him there; just a thought! Mauritz

Tags
cruising, sailboat