Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 23:34   #46

Re: Cruising Sailboat

there are definitely people out there that just want their boats to go away... and will practically give them to you if you find the right person... probably is extremely dependent on the used boat market in your area.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:43   #47
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

My opinion is if you can't afford to buy or fix up a boat you can't afford to own one. Slip rent or trailering vehicle. Constant maintenance. Its not like you just jump in and the free wind makes it a free trip. I think a family in need is going to be worse off with a boat unless they're going whole hog and ditching the land life.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:29   #48
Armchair Bucketeer

I have no problem with OP asking for a free boat!

But it does annoy me that he has put so little effort into it - fair enuf that he doesn't want to hang out all his personal details on the web, but nonetheless the request does need to be personalised. and even if not a real sob story (me legs fell off whilst I was helping an old lady accross the road - and my wife has broken a finger nail etc).........nonetheless the absence of any sob story (that makes them "deserving" ) could actually be the "sell" (regular hardworking family looking to acheive an adventure that they could otherwise never afford, at least not by saving up before the kids are themselves pensionable age!).

In regard to the "deserving" angle, I kinda share OP's view on doing nice stuff / acts of charity not having any strings attached. "You" either do something with no catches, no judgement and no expectations....or you don't (the upside is that you are never dissapointed!). "Why did you help?" - "because I could"....a philosophy that I was surprised to discover me late Missus also shared - I say surprised because part of her business interests involved helping people get buried, and she wasn't in the funeral parlour business . People are complex creatures......
Old 06-02-2013, 04:33   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Just a foolish idea: MP why don't you try to work? So you can spare some money and one day , as the rest of us, be able to buy you a boat.

For definition of the word "work" just google it.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:36   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

At the beginning of the post the title of the ad was : wanted for free: cruising sailboat

Now the wanted for free part has been dropped. I wander why?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:01   #51
CLOD

Boat: none

if this works at getting a boat I'm going to have to try it
Old 06-02-2013, 05:20   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
we aren't interested in something that is dirty, moldy etc. this isn't about recycling junk.

we're seeking a kind hearted individual who would like to perform an act of kindness - just for the sake of kindness. perhaps this isn't the place for that?

mostly i detect fear, animosity, greed and hate.

but thanks for posting even though your answer didn't contribute to the thread or answer the op - which was a yes or no question.
Hi Max... 1st let me welcome you to CF as I likely have not as yet..
I've only just come across this thread so I'll offer you my boat..
Its a 21ft Corribee and blue water capable... I sailed her from the UK to Portugal with only one stop in Baiona... Ellen Macarthur made her name in one and they've cruised far and wide.
She does need a couple of things doing before launching again... fit a new rubbing strake and make good the deck/hull join... she also needs a sea toilet fitted (new one already bought so thats free as well)... the rig and sails are fair to good and she's got a roller furling Genoa...
She is currently on the hard at Figuerra da Foz marina in Portugal... if you PM me we can set up a time and date for the hand over...
However... I do feel you are a bit off centre concerning the members of this forum... you see I am one who Has benefited from being a member... in spite of pissing off more than a few.. (Saucy.. pissing off.. UK expression for annoying)
I'm the guy who was stranded in OZ... they rallied round and donated what they could to keep me fed and a roof overr my head... Shoot... some even demanded I go out and get smashed on their donation and insisted it was 'no return' $'s...
So... just coz you don't get what you want for free does not make these guys bad.... how can they be greedy... your doing the asking...
how are they scared... your the one who can't handle the humour...
look in the mirror... how generous have YOU been in your life...
Anyway heres the boat.... Enjoy...
PS; Headrooms 4ft 6".... I'm upgrading to 5ft 3"
PPS: Can deliver.... but thats NOT free
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05082009.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	54097   Click image for larger version

Name:	11092009(002).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	54098  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:52   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Hi Max... 1st let me welcome you to CF as I likely have not as yet..
I've only just come across this thread so I'll offer you my boat..
Its a 21ft Corribee and blue water capable... I sailed her from the UK to Portugal with only one stop in Baiona... Ellen Macarthur made her name in one and they've cruised far and wide.
She does need a couple of things doing before launching again... fit a new rubbing strake and make good the deck/hull join... she also needs a sea toilet fitted (new one already bought so thats free as well)... the rig and sails are fair to good and she's got a roller furling Genoa...
She is currently on the hard at Figuerra da Foz marina in Portugal... if you PM me we can set up a time and date for the hand over...
However... I do feel you are a bit off centre concerning the members of this forum... you see I am one who Has benefited from being a member... in spite of pissing off more than a few.. (Saucy.. pissing off.. UK expression for annoying)
I'm the guy who was stranded in OZ... they rallied round and donated what they could to keep me fed and a roof overr my head... Shoot... some even demanded I go out and get smashed on their donation and insisted it was 'no return' $'s...
So... just coz you don't get what you want for free does not make these guys bad.... how can they be greedy... your doing the asking...
how are they scared... your the one who can't handle the humour...
look in the mirror... how generous have YOU been in your life...
Anyway heres the boat.... Enjoy...
PS; Headrooms 4ft 6".... I'm upgrading to 5ft 3"
PPS: Can deliver.... but thats NOT free
You didńt read the requested specifications: what is requested is a 2 cabins cruiser in perfect shape and ready to go, no messy work to be done.
I see only one solution, you have to do the job before giving it .
Old 06-02-2013, 07:21   #54
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
You didńt read the requested specifications: what is requested is a 2 cabins cruiser in perfect shape and ready to go, no messy work to be done.
I see only one solution, you have to do the job before giving it .
Its got 2 cabins... fore and main... 4 berths... 1 double 2 single..
But sorry... no Jam comes with her.. he'll have to spread the butter and open the jam jar on his own...
Not into Servitude..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:24   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Exceptions to the rule.. as always... do exist..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beyonce-1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	54103  

Old 06-02-2013, 08:45   #56
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Its got 2 cabins... fore and main... 4 berths... 1 double 2 single..
Actually I think you will find you have 4 Cabins on a Corribee. Mine did , at least in Broker speak (especially in the US market ) - for some reason you do not seem to be counting the 2 aft Staterooms .

and arguably their is also an aft cabin (albeit probably best suited to a child. or someone with height issues ).
Old 06-02-2013, 08:49   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

OK... OK...

I waited for what I thought was a reasonable time for the OP to take Boatman's offer.... I'm jumping in....

boatman... I can overlook the rubbing strake, deck joint, and head install...

As long as the galley slave hiding in the wee quarter berth is included in the deal...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 06-02-2013, 08:52   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
OK... OK...

I waited for what I thought was a reasonable time for the OP to take Boatman's offer.... I'm jumping in....

boatman... I can overlook the rubbing strake, deck joint, and head install...

As long as the galley slave hiding in the wee quarter berth is included in the deal...

Wee Quarter berth...?
I'll have you know thats the Owners Stateroom.... sigh

Old 06-02-2013, 08:59   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
It was a mistake to come here and do what you did, that's for sure. I have seen immense acts of kindness and personal sacrifice on here. Folks have banded together to save a derelict boat for an otherwise homeless guy who in the end proved that he did not deserve what they did for him. Have seen another member stranded in a foreign land by some leech who thought that his boat should be delivered to him for free, instead of him paying for what he agreed to. He was taken in to a stranger's home and both moral and financial support was given until it was sorted. Nobody asked or begged for these things, they just happened.

The mistake was to just come on and beg. No story, no justification. because of this people were, as I was, offended by the affrontery. Yes you have the right to ask, but we have the right to ask why. To then start insulting the replies is the height of self importance. You know nothing of the folks on this forum and we know nothing of you because you refuse to tell. I still wish you luck in your quest, but do not expect to get things without a bit of giving first.

Coops.

The problem I see with Max Power's request is that it comes with attitude. If he doesn't like the word "deserve" then use another word, but basically if you want a positive response to a request for something free then you will have a lot better chance of success if you are willing to "give" a little back to the potential giver.

Hell, for all we know Max Power could be some sort of radical, a mass murderer, terrorist or even worse, a multihuller in disguise. Of course extremely unlikely he is any of the above but still who knows. There was a case a year or so ago where some criminal (kidnapper maybe?) was asking and received assistance on the forum to attempt an escape from the US by sailboat. True story. Look through the archives.

Most people willing to give something away will prefer giving to a friend or someone where they will feel some empathy or connection. Maybe contrary to the true spirit of giving but reality is most givers like to experience some good feeling from the act knowing who or what benefited from their generosity.

So some anonymous request for a free boat just because you want one and screw you if you want to ask me any questions about who I am. Don't see it happening.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:07   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Talking Re: Cruising Sailboat

Quote:
Wee Quarter berth...?
I'll have you know thats the Owners Stateroom.... sigh

I should have known from the privacy curtain.... My mistake...

That sure would be handy having the galley right there.... At arms length...

Mai Tai's fix everything...

Tags
cruising, sailboat