Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 20:39   #31

Boat: I have been from 8' sabot to a 65' Ketch. I am over the Norsea 27 and looking for 50'+
Re: Cruising Sailboat

Actually, Liz from the Cal 40 "Swell" was given her Cal 40' from an old guy that heard she wanted to go singlehand and go surfing! Follower her in Lat 38....
Old 05-02-2013, 20:42   #32

@Max

Seems like it could only help your cause if you told your compelling story yet you don’t?

I agree that you should hold out for something in really good shape. Don’t get scammed by accepting something for free that isn’t up to your standards. Sorry to say that some people here will take advantage of you that way.

Best of luck. Hey do you need a car?
Old 05-02-2013, 20:59   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
@Max

Seems like it could only help your cause if you told your compelling story yet you don’t?

I agree that you should hold out for something in really good shape. Don’t get scammed by accepting something for free that isn’t up to your standards. Sorry to say that some people here will take advantage of you that way.

Best of luck. Hey do you need a car?
we aren't interested in something that is dirty, moldy etc. this isn't about recycling junk.

we're seeking a kind hearted individual who would like to perform an act of kindness - just for the sake of kindness. perhaps this isn't the place for that?

mostly i detect fear, animosity, greed and hate.

but thanks for posting even though your answer didn't contribute to the thread or answer the op - which was a yes or no question.
Old 05-02-2013, 21:07   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
we aren't interested in something that is dirty, moldy etc. this isn't about recycling junk.

we're seeking a kind hearted individual who would like to perform an act of kindness - just for the sake of kindness. perhaps this isn't the place for that?

but thanks for posting even though your answer didn't contribute to the thread or answer the op - which was a yes or no question.
Sorry for the confusion. I thought the NO was implied.

Interesting that you attack those who detect BS by suggesting that they themselves project fear, animosity, greed and hate. Would you care to elaborate on that or just continue not to tell your story?
Old 05-02-2013, 21:09   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
how about you tell us in 100 words or more, why you think you deserve a free sailboat in sail away condition?
Quote:
i looked up the word 'deserve' before i answered your post.

Deserve: Verb. Do something or have or show qualities worthy of (reward or punishment).

So, to answer your post - No, I won't.

I'm not here to beg, tell a sob story or have others judge me or my family as to our merit.

The request stands in and of itself. It is merely a request.

There are people who own sailboats that they do not use and/or want. The hope is that one of these people would be willing to give that boat to a family who could make excellent use of it and enjoy it to its fullest potential - without judgement.

If that hope doesn't become reality; then que sera sera.

Regards.
no new tale to tell.
Old 05-02-2013, 21:16   #36

@Max

You continue to pretend to not see the point that if someone wanted to do this type of generosity that there are lots of deserving organizations to choose from that do actual good work and exist solely for this type of opportunity.

The question continues to be why would you move to the head of that line?
Old 05-02-2013, 21:22   #37

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Mostly I detect a 3 page thread about a guy not just begging a boat...but a boat GOOD ENOUGH for him!

Having seen people here pour out goods, money, and time/labor for a good (and even a lost) cause, I can feel safe knowing we need not defend ourselves from a leach.

Sorta reminds me of this story from 20 years ago about a rally of ultra-conservatives where a guy had a cardboard sighn that said "Have food, want airplane" except that everyone knew he was kidding.
Old 05-02-2013, 21:27   #38

Quote:
@Max

You continue to pretend to not see the point that if someone wanted to do this type of generosity that there are lots of deserving organizations to choose from that do actual good work and exist solely for this type of opportunity.

The question continues to be why would you move to the head of that line?
there's that word 'deserve' again...I never requested to go to the head of any line.

I merely stated that I have a family and we would like to go sailing but cannot afford to purchase a boat. If someone has a boat that is unused or unwanted - and they would like to see it go to good use and provide enjoyment then we would be willing recipients of said boat.

Otherwise, que sera sera.

Naturally if someone had a boat that they would like to give to a charitable organization - that is their choice. We are not asking for that boat. Nor are we asking for $55 Million, or a $1/4 million blue water cruiser etc.

If you (or someone you know) don't have an unused or unwanted boat that you'd like to see go to good use - clearly this thread isn't for you.

Why is this hard to understand?
Old 05-02-2013, 21:31   #39

Dude! If we can't keep the "wet" headers out of the "Composter" threads or the Monos out of the multi threads...why should we leave you alone???!!! Besides...it's free exposure!!
Old 05-02-2013, 21:34   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Sorta reminds me of this story from 20 years ago about a rally of ultra-conservatives where a guy had a cardboard sighn that said "Have food, want airplane" except that everyone knew he was kidding.
Try to get food on an airplane today. That guy was ahead of his time!
Old 05-02-2013, 21:37   #41

Quote:
Try to get food on an airplane today. That guy was ahead of his time!
Oooh very good point!
Old 05-02-2013, 21:44   #42

Clearly it was a mistake to come here.

I will leave you people alone, with your petty discussions about who is deserving of what while I go sailing.

Goodbye.
Old 05-02-2013, 21:52   #43

Quote:

I will leave you people alone, with your petty discussions about who is deserving of what while I go sailing.

Goodbye.
But FIRST you need a BOAT! Please come back and tell us how it goes! Rub our noses in it...we deserve it! Ooops there's that word again
Old 05-02-2013, 21:53   #44

You also stated that “I detect fear, animosity, greed and hate”. When asked to elaborate you do not.

To clarify, will you be able to afford dockage, insurance, maintenance, upgrades, fuel, etc or will this be the subject for another time?

Someone who wants to donate their pride and joy to you will naturally be concerned about your ability to pay or beg for these things.
Old 05-02-2013, 22:23   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:

Goodbye.
It was a mistake to come here and do what you did, that's for sure. I have seen immense acts of kindness and personal sacrifice on here. Folks have banded together to save a derelict boat for an otherwise homeless guy who in the end proved that he did not deserve what they did for him. Have seen another member stranded in a foreign land by some leech who thought that his boat should be delivered to him for free, instead of him paying for what he agreed to. He was taken in to a stranger's home and both moral and financial support was given until it was sorted. Nobody asked or begged for these things, they just happened.

The mistake was to just come on and beg. No story, no justification. because of this people were, as I was, offended by the affrontery. Yes you have the right to ask, but we have the right to ask why. To then start insulting the replies is the height of self importance. You know nothing of the folks on this forum and we know nothing of you because you refuse to tell. I still wish you luck in your quest, but do not expect to get things without a bit of giving first.

Coops.

Tags
cruising, sailboat