Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 07:40   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Complete Canvas Workers Guide

The Complete Canvasworker's Guide: How to Outfit Your Boat With Cloth Paperback – May 22, 1992
by Jim Grant (Author) ***** $10.00 (plus postage ~$3)

***** Here is what I think is one of the best books on saving a fortune while cruising by doing your own canvas work. When you find out that a simple bimini cover for your cockpit can set you back a thousand bucks or more - getting a sewing machine that can sew canvas (like the ones at "Sailrite") pays itself off in one or two projects - (not to mention doing your own mending and repair of your sails - but that's a different book). ********

Now completely revised and updated, and expanded by more than fifty percent, The Complete Canvasworker's Guide, Second Edition, brings you Jim Grant's thorough step-by-step approach to constructing a nearly endless variety of attractive and functional gear for your boat. Grant, with his wife, Connie, has taught sailmaking and canvaswork for more than 20 years, and he brings an often intimidating craft within the grasp and budget of anyone from an all-thumbs beginner to a would-be professional.

Forget that canvas always used to be made of cotton. Today it is far more commonly woven of synthetic fibers: acrylic, polyester, or nylon. Here is all the information you'll need to make use of them all. Grant's no-frills approach, refined over years of answering the questions of puzzled students, is for any boatowner who wants to take needle to fabric. And as tens of thousands of proud boatowners will happily testify, it really works.

Cover: Softcover Pages: 186 Size: 8-1/2″ x 11″ Illustrations: 230
Topics in The Complete Canvasworker’s Guide Include: The Principles of Canvaswork; Sea Anchors; Awnings & Enclosures; Sail & Ditty Bags; Bimini Boat Tops; Boat Covers; Bosun’s Chair; Cushions & Covers; Companionway Dodgers; Flags & Pennants; Trapeze & Safety Harnesses; Sail Covers; Small Covers; Spinnaker Socks, etc.!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canvasworkers Guide Cover 034.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	100094  
Old 07-04-2015, 13:15   #2

Boat: Dufours Arpege
Re: Complete Canvas Workers Guide

Yes I'm interested in buying this book...send me a message to complete the transaction...thanks. Ken
Old 10-04-2015, 20:58   #3

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Is the book still available?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-04-2015, 22:03   #4

** Explanation of what we are listing ***
I may have failed to mention enough times that ALL of the stuff we are listing is from our boat and has been collected over the years when I could sail and cruise. My terminal cancer has ended all of that so we are trying to find a good home for the stuff. Since quite a bit of it is "old," even if it is in its original packaging, and possibly no longer available or made, we thought cruisers might be interested - especially if you had one and now would like to replace your broken one with an exact or near duplicate.
Old 13-04-2015, 16:52   #5

Boat: Freedom 40

I would gladly buy I'd still available. Will send a PM.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-04-2015, 17:19   #6

@ osirissail,

I trust you're spirits up and smiles come easy !

All the Best
Old 13-04-2015, 19:38   #7

The Canvas Workers Guide is sold - we wish to express our heartfelt thanks to everybody for helping us out. Jim & Galina onboard sv/OSIRIS

Tags
canvas