Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2012, 05:51   #1

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 46lr
Chris White Atlantic 46LR for sale

After a 5 year circumnavigation with our family, Pegasus is now for sale. She is a fantastic catamaran and has looked after us well. Full spec and details can be found on www.sailpegasus.com Having repainted her in the canaries in late 2011 and applied coppercoat antifouling, we have now revarnished the interior woodwork and repainted the inside. She represents excellent value and is the ultimate go anywhere catamaran. She is a fast and strong passagemaker and will always turn heads. There are possibly only 2 of the A46 left and she offers a great opportunity to own a Chris White at an affordable entry price. The design philosophy behind the A46 can be read here
Old 30-10-2012, 17:45   #2

Re: Chris White Atlantic 46LR for sale

Why is the designer 'pricing it? Seems to be a all wood boat-is this correct?( I realized its epoxy covered)
Old 30-10-2012, 18:01   #3

Boat: too many

Pegasus SVYC,

That is a very attractive price for your boat. I'm still caring for my 93 year old dad, but if I was ready to go back out cruising I'd be giving you a call. She is priced like a Chris White 42, so your $355K USD sure got my attention.

Do you mind if I post here some of your pictures of Pegasus, she is a one fine looking and performing cat. 23 kt speed with you and the family, and 28 kt as a top speed from the previous owner.
Old 30-10-2012, 18:18   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Nothing wrong with wood epoxy composite, but price does seem rather optimistic.
Hard to call $350K entry level when talking used cruising cats these days.
Old 30-10-2012, 20:42   #5

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Nothing wrong with wood epoxy composite, but price does seem rather optimistic.
Hard to call $350K entry level when talking used cruising cats these days.
You as a commercial member might be able to shed some light on "reasonable" asking prices for cats. I have found that 15 year old cats of the pedigree of a Chris White design, that has had a recent refresh, have asking prices right in the range of this one, however the few that I have been privy to the selling price ran a range of 60%~75% of asking. From your experience, is that the norm?

Inquiring minds want to know.

His boat's performance speaks for itself, and the level of care both he the the original owner has given is evident from these pictures.

Old 31-10-2012, 04:06   #6

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 46lr

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
Why is the designer 'pricing it? Seems to be a all wood boat-is this correct?( I realized its epoxy covered)
The designer has kindly given us his thoughts on what we could achieve in the current climate based on his detailed knowledge of what sister vessels have sold for and when. He also took into account the market conditions at the time of other sales and now.
I guess price is a combination of what your money can buy and what sister vessels sell for. IE you can't buy a gunboat for the price of a lagoon...chalk and cheese.
Pricing any production boat is relatively easy, its a combination of previous sales achieved in that model and condition of the offered vessel.I guess thats why the surveyor will make a comment on value / price as in a house sale, and can only really make that judgement when he looks at comparable boats. With Pegasus it has been more difficult, but we have talked to many and looked at what you can get for the money and think we offer good value. If we have missed something we would like to know.

Pegasus has cedar strip epoxy hulls and deck and pilot house are foam core
Old 31-10-2012, 04:20   #7

I didnt mean to devalue your boat or wood epoxy and apologize. I would rather have it (your boat) than any other. The hulls of my recently sold Woods Scylla 36 were built same way and I marvel at their strength!
Old 31-10-2012, 04:34   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Certainly a very niche market and therefore hard to define.

I had the opportunity to purchase a CW 55 bare hulls and bridge deck, all epoxy and foam with carbon reinforcements a while back. I have a friend in Ft Lauderdale selling cats every day and there just isn't the market data to predict what the boat would have sold for when completed.

Believe it's still available if any one is interested.

Tags
sale