Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 10:53   #16

Re: Buy or Rent Trailer for Cal 28' fixed keel

I doubt there is a wet launch option for a boat with a keel like that... unless you've got a very long tongue extension! Also, many ramps drop off after a few feet of water (the cement slab only goes so far)
But sure a powerboat trailer is an option. Might be a little more work or might not. I'm assuming this is a one shot deal. Still thinking a heavy wooden cradle on a flatbed is an option. New boat dealers must have cradles from deliveries....?

Old 12-12-2013, 11:59   #17

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

For what it's worth/for your info... On our inland lakes we are fortunate to have long ramps, but don't usually have cranes or travel lifts, so we routinely launch sailboats up to 34' or so by dropping the trailer down with a strap, cable, or heavy line. It helps to have a large front tire that can be dropped down at the front of the trailer, so that the trailer backs straight more readily and doesn't get snagged in dirt that may have piled up on the ramp. For steeper ramps and boats that aren't so big, the extension bar works. We have launched the Santana (4' draft), Etchells (4'6" draft), J/24s (4'6"), and a friend launches his Ranger 32 in this fashion. We also have friends with both fin and semi-full keel boats that put their boats in a marina for the season this way, including Catalina 25s, 27s, 30s, J/24s, a Merit 25, Pearson 26, Hunter 28, Hunter 29, a long-keel "Schooner Creek", etc., so in some parts of the world this is a normal launch procedure.
Old 13-12-2013, 14:05   #18

when will you be leaving for Mexico. I have a trailer in Panama City Florida that will likely work for you.my boat is stored on the trailer right now but I may be able to splash it before then.send me a PM if you are interested
Old 26-12-2013, 22:17   #19

Boat: Cal28
Thumbs up Re: Buy or Rent Trailer for Cal 28' fixed keel

hey thanks everyone! i will not be wet launching my vessel from the trailer. She will only be lifted on and off by crane. But we ended up getting a great deal on a customized power boat trailer.

link to the post on my website

Tags
cal, cal 28, keel