Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 05:52   #1

Boat: Tashiba 40, Robert (Bob) Perry design. Long keel cutter
Baba 30, Serious offshore cruiser

The Baba 30, is a classic, cutter rigged, canoe stern, blue water cruising yacht. Designed by Robert Perry, this boat is renowned for it's style, and sea handling abilities. It is a refinement on another great Perry design, the Tayana 37 (T37), a boat that is thought to have done more water sailing">blue water sailing than any other class.

Lady Stardust is a fine example of a Baba 30, completely renovated and refitted by her current owner over the last ten years, she has already crossed the Atlantic several times without any issues. She is fitted out for ocean cruising, and was scheduled to be sailed around the world by her owner in the coming years, but the opportunity to buy a Baba 40 came along so the owner has upsized, and is reluctantly saying goodbye to this boat.

Built in Taiwan by an American company, she boasts an impressive amount of teak styling below and above decks, indicative of a time when teak and skilled craftsmen were affordable, this level of workmanship is hard to find in smaller yachts these days. With her headroom of 6'4" she feels very roomy, and there is never a need to stoop.

The only real problems people have ever had with these boats, has been to do with chainplates and fuel tanks. The chainplates have all been replaced, and the fuel tank was removed and powder coated a few years back when the engine was replaced. The hull was also peeled and re-glassed ten years ago to deal with some blisters, since then there have been no hull problems at all, so the owner can rest assured this boat should'nt need any major work for the foreseeable future.

Recently some of the varnish work has been neglected on the outside, but the coach roof decking has just been re-caulked and all in all she is in very good condition and ready to sail away.

This boat is easily sailed single handed, especially with the Hydrovane wind steering or the Simrad Autopilot, and is a doddle for a couple.

She is currently situated in Premia de Mar, 30 minutes from Barcelona and can be delivered by sea to anywhere reasonably close within the Med.

She is being sold with a dinghy, two outboards, Hydrovane self steering, Simrad Autopilot, AIS, Radar, SSB+Tuner, VHF, Chart Plotter, Handheld VHF, Sound System and lots of extra bits useful for cruising

For sale at £29,500 for a quick sale
VAT Paid & RCD Exempt
More details at my web site here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	947
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	119447   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	119448  

Name:	ArcStart.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	119449   Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit2.jpg
Views:	1200
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	119450  

Name:	Engine.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	119451   Click image for larger version

Name:	mainCabin.JPG
Views:	797
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	119452  

Old 23-02-2016, 06:23   #2

Re: Baba 30, Serious offshore cruiser

Killer boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-02-2016, 19:38   #3

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 382

Very nice boat, has she been surveyed recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-02-2016, 01:26   #4

Thanks, she is a lovely boat and I will be very sad to see her go.
She is being surveyed for insurance purposes in 2 weeks, and will have a full underwater survey done while out of the water.
I'm not expecting any problems, other than the standing rigging, which seems in good order, but is now ten years old.
Old 24-02-2016, 05:14   #5

Boat: 1979 Watkins 27

My dream boat.
Old 24-02-2016, 08:09   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Gorgeous little boat - no denying the looks and ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStardust View Post
The Baba 30, is a classic, cutter rigged, canoe stern, blue water cruising yacht. Designed by Robert Perry, this boat is renowned for it's style, and sea handling abilities. It is a refinement on another great Perry design, the Tayana 37 (T37), a boat that is thought to have done more blue water sailing than any other class.

Lady Stardust is a fine example of a Baba 30, completely renovated and refitted by her current owner over the last ten years, she has already crossed the Atlantic several times without any issues. She is fitted out for ocean cruising, and was scheduled to be sailed around the world by her owner in the coming years, but the opportunity to buy a Baba 40 came along so the owner has upsized, and is reluctantly saying goodbye to this boat.

Built in Taiwan by an American company, she boasts an impressive amount of teak styling below and above decks, indicative of a time when teak and skilled craftsmen were affordable, this level of workmanship is hard to find in smaller yachts these days. With her headroom of 6'4" she feels very roomy, and there is never a need to stoop.

The only real problems people have ever had with these boats, has been to do with chainplates and fuel tanks. The chainplates have all been replaced, and the fuel tank was removed and powder coated a few years back when the engine was replaced. The hull was also peeled and re-glassed ten years ago to deal with some blisters, since then there have been no hull problems at all, so the owner can rest assured this boat should'nt need any major work for the foreseeable future.

Recently some of the varnish work has been neglected on the outside, but the coach roof decking has just been re-caulked and all in all she is in very good condition and ready to sail away.

This boat is easily sailed single handed, especially with the Hydrovane wind steering or the Simrad Autopilot, and is a doddle for a couple.

She is currently situated in Premia de Mar, 30 minutes from Barcelona and can be delivered by sea to anywhere reasonably close within the Med.

She is being sold with a dinghy, two outboards, Hydrovane self steering, Simrad Autopilot, AIS, Radar, SSB+Tuner, VHF, Chart Plotter, Handheld VHF, Sound System and lots of extra bits useful for cruising

For sale at £29,500 for a quick sale
VAT Paid & RCD Exempt
More details at my web site here
Old 24-02-2016, 09:05   #7

The two Babas we looked at were nothing more than soggy plywood money pits. Probably most of them are great boats, and we just got to look at the only two in existence that were real bad. The deck and housing ply was not even marine grade. The hull tabbings were not even structural, but instead just held the joinery work in place. The hull had varying thicknesses of glass on the port verses starboard sides, which we presumed meant someone went to lunch and forgot to do the other side? Strange boat. For the money, we would advise buying the hans christian 33 which has a similar design and impressive layout below(pullman berth included). Here is a situation where a competent surveyor with bonding is essential.
Old 24-02-2016, 15:44   #8

Hi Reed1v
I'm not sure you were looking at a genuine Baba, There is no deck ply, and the ply used internally is very high grade. I am a moderator on the Baba User group, and in the last 15 years, I have never heard of any problems with the baba other than a few known issues like chain plates and fuel tanks.
Certainly the FRP layup is very good on these boats, I have the spec that was used, and Ta Shing the builders have a very good reputation in this area.
I would love to know a bit more about the boat you saw, do you know what year or even what the HIN was?
Old 24-02-2016, 16:01   #9

The two Baba 30s I've seen are incredibly well made boats. Ridiculously thick cores, perfect wood work. Probably among the best made boats.
Old 24-02-2016, 22:57   #10

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

Even though I'm new , am absolutely in love with the baby!.

Methinks the lady is "right on".
Old 24-02-2016, 22:58   #11

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

Baba!
Old 25-02-2016, 04:24   #12

Boat: Orca 38

DANGER ......... serious thread drift ahead......

I wonder if any Baba owners have named their boat "O'Rielly"?
Old 25-02-2016, 04:55   #13

Quote:
Hi Reed1v
I'm not sure you were looking at a genuine Baba, There is no deck ply, and the ply used internally is very high grade. I am a moderator on the Baba User group, and in the last 15 years, I have never heard of any problems with the baba other than a few known issues like chain plates and fuel tanks.
Certainly the FRP layup is very good on these boats, I have the spec that was used, and Ta Shing the builders have a very good reputation in this area.
I would love to know a bit more about the boat you saw, do you know what year or even what the HIN was?
The two boats had teak over plywood decks. The below joinery was veneer plywood with lots of voids in the ply. We found that out when part of the joinery had to be removed for hull repairs on one, and to correct fire damage on the other. This back in the 1980s. The one with hull layup problems was found out when we measured hull density due to part of the hull breaking away after grounding on a reef. As to being baba's, that was on the documentation, and also part of the duck test, as well as the little plate down below. So they quacked, waddled, and looked like babas. We also encountered similar issues with CTs, Formosas, and some Hood designed boat.
Interestingly, we never encountered problems with Chinese nor Japanese built boats, just Taiwan boats. Maybe something got lost when the Nationalists moved to Formosa after WW2.
Old 25-02-2016, 20:15   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Hi Reed1v
I wouldn't worry about his opinion. They are rarely based in reality. Why else would he come into an ad for sale and crap all over it?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 26-02-2016, 01:17   #15

Yes, I can see now from the details that they were not babas.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, offshore