Boat: Vindo 45 34ft Swedish built boat
Re: Aluminum Blue Water Custom Gary Mull Design

muchogustosailing.wordpress.com
Old 19-10-2017, 14:53   #33

Boat: SJ 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewitts View Post
The link is not working for me. If I type it into the URL box it works fine. I look at Mucho Gusto from time to time but she's not for me.

Michael
Old 19-10-2017, 15:16   #34

Thanks Micheal,
I wonder why?
Ed
Old 19-10-2017, 15:32   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

https://muchogustosailing.wordpress.com

Here, this works.

Nice boat but I’ve got 2 already! My next, if there is one, must have a pilot house.
Old 19-10-2017, 15:56   #36

Yeah, you are as sick as we are. We have two also.
Thanks
Ed
Old 19-10-2017, 16:01   #37

http://muchogustosailing.wordpress.com does this work.
Http without the "S"
Old 19-10-2017, 21:20   #38

Boat: Catalina 470

Hi ewitts, lovely boat, I'm very surprised it's still for sale? Great design, beautifully presented. I considered coming to have a look prior to purchasing my current one, it just wasn't the right location for me.
Good luck.
Old 27-10-2017, 15:39   #39

Dream yacht
Old 27-10-2017, 16:08   #40

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewitts View Post
Dream yacht
We're friends with previous owners. Even years later, and plenty of time on other boats, they always considered Mucho Gusto to be really special on the quality front.

I think someone would do very well to acquire her.
Old 27-10-2017, 16:39   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
We're friends with previous owners. Even years later, and plenty of time on other boats, they always considered Mucho Gusto to be really special on the quality front.

I think someone would do very well to acquire her.
Jim and Judy or Nick and Carrol? We know we will never sail a boat we like as much as this one. She is special. Thanks for the note.
Ed
Old 27-10-2017, 16:52   #42

Boat: Custom 55

Nick and Carol. We've known them for a long time-I think I met them shortly after they sold MG.
Old 28-10-2017, 10:04   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Nick and Carol. We've known them for a long time-I think I met them shortly after they sold MG.
Yes I was a professional captain and had sailed a lot of boats. This one was so special I really love owning her. Will miss her when she is gone.
Ed
Old 08-11-2017, 13:07   #44

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Mr Witts, yes, she is a lovely cruiser. I have a 30 foot trailerable sharpie that I have spent the last year rebuilding...mostly sanding down to bare wood and fiberglassing the entire boat. Whew....

I don't see an age of the vessel listed on your website or in this advertisement. Forgive me if I missed it. I do have some questions for you.

1. Since she is an aluminum boat her age would possible be an issue with electrolysis? Educate me.

2. Do you have any pictures of her engine room set up?

3. Do you have any pictures of her mast set up for reefing and primary winches?

4. Can you give me any idea what it costs per year for maintenance? I am primarily interested in haul outs of such a large vessel.

5. What percent of her sail inventory is still in life? For example is her mainsail 75% still available in life. That isn't working out correctly in English.
If a mainsail can last 10 years if taken care of correctly...what is your estimate of how much life is left in the mainsail.

also the condition of her headsail...drifter....spinny...

6. What kind of shape is her primary chain rode in?

7. On her engine....when was exhaust elbow last replaced? Her impellers?
Her dripless gland? How old is her prop?

She is a very lovely boat and I commend you and your wife for taking care about her.

What is she like to sail on a beat? Her underbody and light weight tells me she is fast. I have some interest in her. My worry is about the age of her aluminum hull. Maybe I read too much...smile

Respectfully, alan smith

707-299-9157 Vallejo, california
Old 08-11-2017, 16:59   #45

Where are you located? If you are not near here I can do a video chat with you and a walk through that can show you some of the things you ask rigging etc.
I will answer others as best I can.

On 11/8/2017 1:07 PM, Cruisers & Sailing Forums wrote:
Dear ewitts, alansmith has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to titled - For Sale: Aluminum Blue Water Custom Gary Mull Design - in the Boats For Sale and Wanted forum of Cruisers & Sailing Forums. This thread is located at: For Sale: Aluminum Blue Water Custom Gary Mull Design - Page 3 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums Here is the message that has just been posted: *************** Mr Witts, yes, she is a lovely cruiser. I have a 30 foot trailerable sharpie that I have spent the last year rebuilding...mostly sanding down to bare wood and fiberglassing the entire boat. Whew.... I don't see an age of the vessel listed on your website or in this advertisement. Forgive me if I missed it. I do have some questions for you. 1. Since she is an aluminum boat her age would possible be an issue with electrolysis? Educate me.
People worry about aluminum but I am a professional sailor and it is much easier to find problems with aluminum than fiberglass. Many fiberglass boats have a lot of wood in them, water gets into the fiberglass and the wood gets soft, I have seen this in engine beds and mast steps. Pretty bad problems. I have a meter on the boat that tells me the current running through it. It has always had an excellent bottom coating. I removed the original which was put on in 1983, and replaced it with a modern epoxy in 2002 when I bought her. I am pretty sure the bottom is perfect, it can be measured when hauled for survey. The best thing about the construction of this boat is the deck and cabin top are welded to the hull. Very few places for this boat to leak. The meter on the boat has over and under in Red and SAFE in green, I check this every time I walk by the nav station. Ground from shore power is the biggest issue. I don't have a direct connection to the hull.
2. Do you have any pictures of her engine room set up?
The engine cover comes completely off and you can access the engine standing in the salon.

3. Do you have any pictures of her mast set up for reefing and primary winches?
There are three large harken barbarosa winches on the deck at the mast, one smaller one on the mast for the clue line reefing.
4. Can you give me any idea what it costs per year for maintenance? I am primarily interested in haul outs of such a large vessel.
I do my own work so a haul out and painting done every 2 to 3 years is about $1000. Zinc changing depends on the harbor, sometimes it's every 6 months. I just checked, I am going on two years in this harbor they are still good. Keeping paint on the aluminum deck, just depends how pristine looking you want her to be. I just gave her the first paint job since 1995.
5. What percent of her sail inventory is still in life? For example is her mainsail 75% still available in life. That isn't working out correctly in English. If a mainsail can last 10 years if taken care of correctly...what is your estimate of how much life is left in the mainsail. also the condition of her headsail...drifter....spinny...
The sails have been very lightly used as she wasn't raced and only sailed for long cruises. The main has the most use but I serviced it regularly before trips. The headsail was new in 2000 in 2013 got a new cover. Very close to excellent , storm jib never used new condition. Stay sail, works well but should be heavier material. Asymmetrical Spin lightly used no serious signs of wear.
6. What kind of shape is her primary chain rode in?
Very good.
7. On her engine....when was exhaust elbow last replaced? Her impellers? Her dripless gland? How old is her prop?
Exhaust elbow replaced in 2002, I have the old one and it has been welded for back up.
I changed the impeller , 2014 last change. Dripless shaft seal 2002, I don't know the prop age but I sent it to the factory for rebuilding, as I wanted it really tight in 2013.
She is a very lovely boat and I commend you and your wife for taking care about her. What is she like to sail on a beat?
Because she is a little flat forward she can pound hard on the wind, but sailing that way really slows her down, I sail her a little off the wind and she is a rocket ship. When I bought her she was in Mexico and when I got to Cabo it was blowing 30. I put three reefs in and the staysail, she was doing 9.5 knots standing straight up, it was so nice and we were expecting it to be horrible, we all started laughing. My main sailing goal is to keep the boat quite and comfortable.
Her underbody and light weight tells me she is fast. I have some interest in her. My worry is about the age of her aluminum hull. Maybe I read too much...smile
When you have seen as many problem as I have with other boats, mainly caused by water getting in them, having a welded boat makes a lot of sense. The fact she is dry inside, my wife wouldn't come with me to deliver a Jeaneau back from Hawaii last year, she doesn't want to ocean sail on any boat but Mucho now. You don't see boats built this well, she is a great hull by a great designer and a really good yard. Since I see you are iin Vallejo you should come see her. I am in Bodega Bay. She is the kind of boat that turns heads. One cruiser seemed very jealous, as he said he was looking for a boat like ours when he bought his. All the owners of this boat loved her.
Regards
Ed
Respectfully, alan smith 707-299-9157 Vallejo, california ***************

Tags
45ft, 46ft, 47ft, 48ft, 49ft, 50ft, aluminum, blue water, Custom, Halberg Rassy, performance cruiser, water