Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2015, 12:19   #1

Boat: Cambria 44/46
Alajuela 38, Bluewater Strong

1975 Alajuela 38. Mark I. $64,900 Lying St. Petersburg Fl.

An outstanding boat of the full keel Adkins Ingrid design, refined by Alajuela. We've owned and sailed [I]Maya[I] for 13 years including multiple trips to the Keys and Mexico. She has robust equipment for offshore cruising and is maintained to a bluewater standard.
LOD 38'
LWL 32'8"
Beam 11'6"
Draft 5'8"
Disp 27,000lbs
Ballast 10,000lbs
SA 880 sq ft, working
Mast Ht 54'

She is equipped with Main, Jib,110% and Staysail both on Bamar furlers. An asymmetrical spinnaker and adjustable whisker pole are included. Most of the rigging was replaced between 2007 and 2010 except for one of the twin backstays. The chainplates were all replaced in 2009. Ground tackle is meant to be redundant with a 45lbs CQR on 300' of 5/16 HT chain managed by a Muir Cheetah horizontal windlass with a wireless remote. A second main anchor is a Fortress FX 37 with 65' of chain and 200' of 1/2 braid. A 35lbs Bruce and a 30lbs Delta live in the stern locker with attached chain leaders and two spare nylon rodes below decks. A saltwater deck pump washes down the rode as it comes aboard.

Furuno radar, gps, VHF and below decks hydraulic AP are in good working condition. An AIS transponder, depth sounder, stereo, propane sniffer, flat screen TV/DVD, Xantrex inverter/charger, 2 4D batteries, Alpenglow cabin lights round out the electronics. Backstay insulators and copper grounding are in place to install an HF radio with little fuss. A custom SeaFrost refrigeration/freezer installation has a solid 6 to 8" of insulation. Pics available to prove it. The stove is a gimbaled two burner shipmate propane and the cabin heater is a Sig marine propane unit.

Propulsion is a Yanmar 3GM30 running a Max prop and dripless shaft seal. This little motor is a champ and pushes [I]Maya[I] at 7 knots with a clean bottom. When I bought her I felt she was underpowered and yet in all our travels I've never felt the need for bigger. She uses 0.40 Gal/Hr at 5.5 knots cruise and carries 65 gallons of fuel. That's a theoretical range of 893 nautical miles under power. Not that anyone would want or need to chug along that far.

One shouldn't need it as the boat performs surprisingly well. It has been suggested that the attached outboard rudder effectively lengthens the waterline by two feet. I believe it as the boat will close reach at 7.5 knots all day long. There are lots of reports online to confirm it. Under staysail and double reefed main we have logged 160 mile days in a breeze. Comfortably. That's a key word for this boat. The motion is soft and predictable. It doesn't bash the crew around the cabin leaving one feeling they've been the victim of mugging.

The interior has been modified to provide a separate enclosed sit down shower and a built in tool box. She carries two water tanks below the floorboards and an additional bladder tank under a settee giving a capacity of about 100 gallons. The head is a Lavac and the holding tank is under the starboard vee berth. The interior finish is Herreshoff style with gloss white panels and bright teak trim.

Many odds and ends and spares I leave unmentioned as this has drug on too long already. Suffice it to say the boat is one of the best Alajuela 38s on the market and at the best price. Please feel free to PM me with questions and if you'd like additional references.
Yours,
Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0252.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	115191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Isla Mujeres 2010 058.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	115192  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CanalBoat2.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	115193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Isla Mujeres 2010 053.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	115194  

Old 18-12-2015, 07:47   #2

Boat: 1979 Watkins 27
Re: Alajuela 38, Bluewater Strong

Beautiful boat.
Old 20-12-2015, 08:47   #3

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

The Alajuela 38 is right at the top of my list for a bigger boat and yours is a beauty, but unfortunately it'll be at least another year before I can get enough funds together to make a purchase. For your sake I hope you sell her by then, but if she is still on the market I may very well be contacting you again later on. Best of luck in the meantime!

Jack
Old 20-12-2015, 13:02   #4

Two questions, Dennis: (i) what auto steering device have you found effective on this tiller boat; and (ii) how is she to maneuver and reverse given full keel absent bow thruster?

lovely vessel, and apparently a star of its class! Alajuela is on my short list of coastal cruisers with passage-making capabilities.

Best of luck to you, Sir.
Old 20-12-2015, 15:35   #5

Hi Jack,
You're a Gentleman and I wish fortune smiles upon you. Maya would be well loved by one such as you and your family.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-12-2015, 15:56   #6

Hi Sk,
I had a Monitor on Maya. It steered the boat like it was on rails. You may see that on my bad YouTube video "Sailing to Isla Mujeres". I removed it and put it on the new boat as I needed it and more poiniently, most buyers could care less. Thus I lowered the price. The mounting points are still available and I recommend the Monitor highly. She does steer in reverse no matter what you may read. She prop walks to port predictably and this is advantageous in planning your slip exit. Prop wash on the rudder is immediate in forward and effective. I really have not had problems docking her anywhere but then I plan ahead in and out.
Thanks for your kindness. She is a beauty and I'd never let her go if my 5 grandchildren would fit on her without friction.
Yours,
Dennis

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-12-2015, 16:46   #7
cruiser

Boat: cal 29

Whats the PHRF on that thing?
Old 20-12-2015, 17:20   #8

I looked at this boat and considered it seriously but in the end decided on a different boat. I have to say that this boat was set up to be a SAILOR! So many details were thoughtful and sailing centric. More than once I have wondered if I made the right decision passing on this particular Alajuela. If I were going cruising tomorrow this exact boat would be at the very top, however I have some years ahead of me to make enough money to shove off again, hopefully for good so I chose a boat that is a bit more accommodating as a live aboard. Anyone wondering the condition and set up if this boat should know that it is in incredibly good shape. I do not know the owner or have any skin in the game, other than wanting someone who really loves sailing to buy this boat.
Old 20-12-2015, 19:41   #9

Thank you, Dennis, for your timely and informative reply to my questions. I can understand your point about 5 kids on board (wishing for a Zip File app, I am sure!). In any event, best of luck to you, Sir! Perhaps I will be positioned to pick her up, or one of her sisters, later in the year.

Steve Barnett
Old 29-12-2015, 10:06   #10

She is beautiful and I wish I had the money... now all I can hope for is to save it up more quickly than anybody else A half-hearted good luck wish to you for the sales process... and you can bet every Penny is going in my Alejuela Piggy Bank right now...

Happy 2016, cheers Kerrin

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-12-2015, 08:21   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
Whats the PHRF on that thing?
Better than your thing

I can vouch for the boats performance. I had a 1977 Ingrid 38. We actually had just over 200 mile days with it.
I will also say the monitor was amazing on it. We were caught between tropical depress Douglass and tropical depression Boris. We were exceeding 7 knots with 50% of the jib out only. I was curious of the pressure the sea conditions were putting on the rudder. I released the chain on the tiller to the Monitor. It was all I could do to reattach it.
IMHO the Alajuela is a better boat than the Ingrid in that it is a cutter rather than a ketch and has Aluminum spars rather than wood. Your price is very low considering what I've seen these boats go for.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Tags
water