Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:03   #1

40' Catamaran - £29,995

My wife and I have sailed in the Caribbean for several years on board our catamaran Tarquilla. We thought that at 40 foot water line it was large. This side of the pond it is! We live in Falmouth UK. They just are not geared up to such wide beams. However in the caribbean it was quite a middle sized boat and there are the facitilies to get much larger boats out of the water. The larger cats require more effort to sail however unless that has been taken care of in the design. We have two masts therefore it can be single handed sailed. You need a good boarding ladder that goes down enough to get out of the warm water easily. No water maker, just a way of collecting the warm rain. We would recommend the south end of Martinique as a place to anchor and to come out during the hurricane session. (Le Marin and Sainte Anne)
The Caribbean is also the place to buy a cheap cat as many Atlantic sailors have had enough once they get there!
We got back and so now we are selling it -
Old 05-07-2010, 05:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish
Where is the boat now, and what is that box type thing you had built under the center bow?? Thanks..
Old 05-07-2010, 08:18   #3

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes
Quote:
Originally Posted by captsam54 View Post
Where is the boat now, and what is that box type thing you had built under the center bow?? Thanks..
Er, if you read the website as I just did, you'll get the answers to both questions

Have a great day
Cliff
Old 05-07-2010, 08:20   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish
I looked but didn't see it.. There was a bunch of other stuff there too, I didn't wade thru it all
Old 05-07-2010, 08:51   #5

Wave breaking bow

The box under the bridge deck is to break large waves up if you get in the situation that you are heading into a large swell. Catamarans tend to slam unless you have an open bow with netting. Tarquilla is designed to have a large fore deck area for working the sails, anchors and relaxing on. Therefore I designed this 'box' as you put it, to ride just above the water but when the situation arises it hits the wave first. This is quite rare and it took a while before the theory of the design was tested. This happened as we approached the Azores from the Caribbean as light was failing. The effect was better than I expected and we were able to arrive that evening.
The boat is in Falmouth UK on it's swinging mooring. On the webcam here: Blue_Harbour_view although don't expect to see much detail!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 12:32   #6

More photos have been added and also panoramas if anyone wants to see more. The price is now £39995 as we were told it was too cheap!! Actually using the boat this weekend!! first time for a while...
Old 12-08-2010, 07:17   #7

Boat: Robertson and Cain Leopard 47 Nauticat
HI,

funnily enough we live in st Austell and saw your boat advertised in the local paper last night!!

My partner and I are just going the other way - heading to the caribbean to buy a cat and then do some gourmet chartering round there - enough to maintain our lifestyle anyway. We have chosen the Grenadines as our area as we want to be in the less developed area of the caribbean. If you avhe any top tips we would love to hear them,

Hope all goes well for you back in Blighty - we can't wait to get away!!

We are in Falmouth picking up a small charter yacht to sail up to Fowey and enjoy regatta week there. We will look out for your cat on our way!!

Best regards
Ali
Old 12-08-2010, 08:50   #8

Caribbean

Tarquilla is the Flushing side of the river about half way between Flushing and the 8knot speed limit. We spent a lot of time in Martinique, moored at St Anne in the south. Also hauled for the hurricane season at Le Marin just a few miles away. The French islands are just like europe in the Caribbean as they are part of the EU. If you get to Union island go to Lambi's for an evenings entertainment. Hopefully it is still similar. Use a CQR anchor at Union as it is very hard and the mooring bouys are not very save! Bruce anchors will not work! Pity you can not buy Tarquilla and take it across.

Martin
Collection: The Caribbean for Caribbean pictures
Old 20-08-2010, 14:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ
I have removed the link to your "boat" site.

When I checked it out it seemed to showcasing clients with the boat stuck in. We don't allow commercial posting.

You should create a separate site to showcase your boat, but please keep the commercial stuff out.

Thank you for your understanding.
I see what you mean! I did not mean to do that. I have now altered the links to keep inside the relevant details. Can the link be For Sale
which should be OK I think. I have had several hundred visits from your site (600+) and quite a few showing interest. The price will be dropping if it is not sold as I have already bought another boat!!

Martin
Old 21-08-2010, 15:02   #10

Great pictures!
Old 21-08-2010, 15:18   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
What is the year and make of the boat? I don't see that information anywhere ... or is it just me?

The pictures are nice but I find the fisheye-thing and the panorama to be annoying and distorting? I really can't tell what the boat looks like. Why not just some nice quality pics like other sites?