Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2012, 15:00   #1

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
37' Catamaran for Monohull

Have: 37' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit, located in St Kitts.
Wanted: Monohull

3 years ago we were looking for a small monohull to buy but it was a buyers market and we stumbled upon a cat for a good price. Since that time however we've had some serious financial issues and a serious family issue which has prevented us from using the boat the way we planned (day sailing as opposed to distance sailing). Overall the boat is very solid but needs some work and we cant keep up with our family situation.

-Both engines completely and recently overhauled.
-New wiring throughout (was struck by lightening 2 years ago, ALL electrics and electronics replaced except engine consoles).
-New stays and diamonds as well. Traveller recently replaced as well.
-Mast, rigging, and hull recently inspected. No issues with hull (no blistering, etc) except for small issue listed below.

Example:
-Needs a new boom
-Main sail is workable, but will need replacing soon. Foresail is in decent shape, but needs some minor stitching on the cover and near the ring.
-Needs bottom paint
-Needs a bypass water intake for the engines, the sail drive intakes keep fouling up.
-There was a repair done sometime by one of the previous owners on the inside corner of the port hull that has now cracked and has come open allowing some water to enter the hull. Looks very repairable, it seems the prior repair maybe was not done properly but well covered. Im guessing based on what I can see though rather than an actual history. The spot is very limited and confined. It appears someone just covered it with gel coat filler rather than fill the fiber glass as well its finally come out.
-One rudder has a bit of weep
-Needs new external cushions
-Minor metal work needed at bridle attachment area.

The marina here is very expensive and so we keep it anchored, but its an issue with small kids in and out every weekend etc. The kids are well adjusted and great swimmers but as we are mainly using it as a weekend boat there is a lot of onloading and offloading and the associated "griping" from my SO who likes to take a ton of stuff... A smaller boat we can probably afford the marina fees and fix her main gripe about getting on and off all the time with everyone/everything involved. We also often have handicap issues which of course is an issue with anchoring vs marina.

I dont want to sell it and if I have to will just put it on the hard for the next 2-3 years while I work slowly on these items and keep it in shape otherwise until we get some financials sorted out.

However my wife had a suggestion that I figured I'd at least consider..... Seeing if someone wanted to trade it for a newer smaller monohull that didnt have such pending work. Also a monohull would be smaller so we could afford to keep in the marina, and there are fewer hulls, engines, etc to maintain.

So I cant say Im totally sold on her idea but I'll entertain offers.... I certainly would not turn down a good offer if someone is interested in a swap.
Old 27-05-2012, 17:51   #2
cruiser

Re: 37' Catamaran for Monohull

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyotrBee View Post

...............................3 years ago we were looking for a small monohull to buy but it was a buyers market and we stumbled upon a cat for a good price. .................................
Now its even more a buyers market.........
Old 27-05-2012, 18:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeesH View Post
Now its even more a buyers market.........
Yes I know... one reason Im not really interested in selling and would rather keep on to it, but might consider a trade.

If I sell it we'd never be able to afford something again of this class/size in years to come when things do pick up....
Old 27-05-2012, 18:04   #4

That being said - I've looked at the boat market fairly well and even 3 years on, what we paid for it had it been today would still be a decent deal, even with continued drop in prices.
Old 27-05-2012, 18:15   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyotrBee View Post
That being said - I've looked at the boat market fairly well and even 3 years on, what we paid for it had it been today would still be a decent deal, even with continued drop in prices.
Even so, seems you love your cat. My advice, put it on the hard and do your maintenance. But this saying, I don't know your budget.

A lot of wisdom with your difficult decision.

CeesH
Old 27-05-2012, 18:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeesH View Post
Even so, seems you love your cat. My advice, put it on the hard and do your maintenance. But this saying, I don't know your budget.

A lot of wisdom with your difficult decision.

CeesH
Yes we do love it...

We probably will do that. Pulling it out Wed. If we get it on land I can reduce the insurance to minimal I hope and then just pay yard fees... do the work and maybe at least get a few months usage next year and pull it back out.. .keep it on hard maybe 9 mo per year instead of 3-4 and maybe slide by the next few years....

But still will consider offers for a trade.... I guess we'll see how far we get with work and how much we can do ourselves! New to fiberglass repair work, but have some friends who aren't so maybe we can even do that stuff....
Old 27-05-2012, 19:19   #7

Sounds like an interesting boat. We were looking for one like this, but now dealing on a 38' mono. I would be interested in the particulars on your boat if your interested. scairport@live.com

Wayne

Tags
catamaran, monohull