Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2013, 10:07   #1

36 Trawler in the BVI, Caribbean

The boat is a 1988 **-hwa seahorse, europa style taiwaneese grand banks copy. It is 36 feet of lenght, and permanently imported to the BVI. Similiar grand banks boats witht the discontinued ford lehman engine goes for at least twice what we are asking.
The engine is a reliable Perkins 135 horse power, naturally aspirated. We completely rebuildt the transmission in Florida since it was hard to get in reverse. No problems since.

We also did a complete bottom job, removing all the blisters at Carabelle marina. all in all we spent more than $10.000 on her, making her seaworthy of the trip from Carabelle in Florida to the BVI. Frankly, we stopped counting after that. I would not hesitate to make the trip again. The boat can handle it. We still have the survey papers from when we bought her saying she is worth $56.500 before our improvements. The former owner did not let the surveyour survey the hull or the engine compartment for some reason. The marina in carabelle did a full service on the engine and found it good. The only real problem we had was that we got water in our fuel on a Marina in the Bahamas, but with two water separators on the dual tanks, it was easy to fix.
It is economic too. at 1800 rpm it does 5-6 knots and burns about one gallon an hour. That is the cruising speed. at flat calm waters in the Okeechobee channel we have done 10 knots at 2700 rpm.

There is a 9 feet zodiac with a 3.3 hp 2-stroke ultralight Mercury outboard who comes with it.

The hour meter is broken at 1500 hours, but this boat was not used much before we got it. It was a freshwater lake boat in the US, where we brought it from. We took it in salt water september 2012. It also feature a 5 kwh westerbeke generator which alone is worht about 10k.

I hate when people keep things from me, so I will give you the complete rundown on what should be done. This is the list of what I wanted to do with the boat:
*Some gelcoat has been chipped during heavy 15 foot seas on the way down here. The anchour dropped and scraped the bow when i retrieved it. Cosmetic only.
*Low water preassure in kitchen sink, no problem on the head. Suspect air in the line, am going to work on that.
*The bathing platform should be changed as the wood is old and unreliable.
*a few windows should be changed.
*The autopilot is not holding steady course, but the pump is new.
*The airconditon does not send cold air. It needs to be re-filled with freon gas or changed.

It is a refridgerator, radar (which i never tested), raymarine chart-plotter, gas-stove and oven, vhf, all new batteries, some tools and spares, filters ++ in the boat.
Unfortunately I ran out of money trying to start a business here, so I need to sell my beloved boat which my wife and I are currently living on. That is the reason we sell it so cheap, and the reason the boat has faults. We did not save money maintaining vital things like the engine, generator, transmission or filters. It is all original parts there.

We get a broker here next week, but if we could save that 5k, we can discount it to you, selling the boat for $54.000, in the BVI. It is currently under BVI registry. We have lived on it for 8 months, and need to go back to Norway as we are currently living on credit.
You can have the boat from May 28th when we are permanently leaving the BVI by plane. If you want to think about it passed that, please do, but then you will deal with a broker as we will list it with BVI yacht sales after we leave.

Here is a video from Carabelle, it does not show our new dinghy:

No claims against the boat or us. No loans on it.
added a few pictures. Will take some new ones after it is cleaned up.

Feel free to do a complete survey if you want. I think it is about 12$ a foot down here.

Cheers,

Anders Kanten
+1 (284) 341-8202
anders-kanten@hotmail.com

Tags
Caribbean, trawler