Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2013, 20:32   #1

Boat: 36' Swain cutter
36' Steel Sailboat, Cape Horn Vet

Swain design cutter, twin keel (poured lead ballast), with low profile pilothouse and aluminum dodger.
36'loa x 30'lwl x 10'6"beam x 4'draft x ~20,000lbs disp.
Small, seaworthy centre cockpit.
Launched 1994, professionally welded, flame-sprayed (metallized) and epoxy-coated with sprayed insulating foam (1 1/2 to 2").
Isomat spars, Port Townsend/Carol Hasse sails (2010), Andersen winches, Isuzu C240, 4cyl 50 hp diesel engine.
Keel cooling (in skeg) and quiet muffled dry exhaust.
Fab-all (Sigmar) diesel heater and engine 'bus'-type heater.

Weatherly offshore passage-maker and a handy coastal cruiser. Proven in gales and calms.
Recently returned home to Vancouver Island after a 3 year, 24,000 mile circuit in the Pacific from BC to Mexico, Cape Horn , Polynesia,and the Aleutians.
Easily and frequently beached for maintenance or security (in drying lagoons).

Fast passagemaker : 18 days from Cabo San Lucas to Hilo,Hawaii; 2300 miles; and 17 days on the wind from Galapagos to Easter Island, 2100 miles. 3600 miles in 33 days in very light conditions from Juan Fernandez to Mangareva

A safe boat : full perimeter stainless steel railings for real offshore security, and a securely latched aluminum companionway door.

Our family has had many excellent adventures on this boat, with no mishaps, through cold and heat, greybeards and williwaws.

Whose turn for adventure next?

$73,000

(photos from southern Chile/Patagonia)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4508.JPG
Views:	898
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	69473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1114.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	69474  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA150032.JPG
Views:	1053
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	69475  
Old 30-10-2013, 10:45   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifica View Post
Swain design cutter, twin keel (poured lead ballast), with low profile pilothouse and aluminum dodger. 36'loa x 30'lwl x 10'6"beam x 4'draft x ~20,000lbs disp. Small, seaworthy centre cockpit. Launched 1994, professionally welded, flame-sprayed (metallized) and epoxy-coated with sprayed insulating foam (1 1/2 to 2"). Isomat spars, Port Townsend/Carol Hasse sails (2010), Andersen winches, Isuzu C240, 4cyl 50 hp diesel engine. Keel cooling (in skeg) and quiet muffled dry exhaust. Fab-all (Sigmar) diesel heater and engine 'bus'-type heater. Weatherly offshore passage-maker and a handy coastal cruiser. Proven in gales and calms. Recently returned home to Vancouver Island after a 3 year, 24,000 mile circuit in the Pacific from BC to Mexico, Cape Horn , Polynesia,and the Aleutians. Easily and frequently beached for maintenance or security (in drying lagoons). Fast passagemaker : 18 days from Cabo San Lucas to Hilo,Hawaii; 2300 miles; and 17 days on the wind from Galapagos to Easter Island, 2100 miles. 3600 miles in 33 days in very light conditions from Juan Fernandez to Mangareva A safe boat : full perimeter stainless steel railings for real offshore security, and a securely latched aluminum companionway door. Our family has had many excellent adventures on this boat, with no mishaps, through cold and heat, greybeards and williwaws. Whose turn for adventure next? $73,000 (photos from southern Chile/Patagonia)

I'm interested, how many staterooms? My wife and I Liveaboard and our family has grown so we are looking for something with 3 or 3 staterooms feel free to email me Travis"dot"Swaim"at"gmail"dot"com
Old 30-10-2013, 21:32   #3

For accomodation on this 36' cutter there is a double berth in the forepeak; in the main saloon there is a seaberth to port and a pilotberth outboard of the starboard settee. In the aft cabin there is another double berth.
Old 30-10-2013, 22:19   #4

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: 36' steel sailboat, Cape Horn vet

Looks stout!
Old 31-10-2013, 13:38   #5

Please tell more details about the boat such as the specs and full equipment list. How many hours are on the engine. Is the mast keel stepped and made of aluminum? Can you post lots more photos including all areas of interior? Will you be listing the boat with a broker so a buyer has a place to deposit funds in escrow? Are there any rust problems anywhere on the vessel? What are the tanks made of and capacities? What is the condition of the rig?
Old 31-10-2013, 15:14   #6

5,800 hrs on engine. Oil/filter changed every 150 hrs from new without fail. Keel cooled in rudder skeg, effective in tropics and cold water. Dry exhaust, muffled and quiet. The c240 Isuzu, 4 cyl , 50 hp, is regarded by the commercial fishing community as extremely reliable and is widely used in BC and Alaska as a primary engine in smaller boats or generator in larger boats. 15,000 to 30,000 hrs of service is not unusual.
Mast is deck stepped, Isomat spars are of course aluminum. Mast support is 1/2" steel web frame tied into hull.
No plans to list with broker at this stage.
No rust problems.
Fuel tank is integral and is 100 gals. No rust, regularly inspected and cleaned.
Water tanks are plastic; 2 tanks total 45 gals, and integral, with bladders, total about 25 gals, for about 70 gal total water tankage
Rig condition is good. Galvanized 1x7 standing rigging (which is stronger and more reliable than same-size stainless steel cable).

Equipment; ask me for specifics, but it has a 25 kg (55 lb ) Rocna anchor with 75' of 3/8" and 75' of 5/16" G4 chain with another 200' of 3/4" double braid nylon handled by a deck mounted drum-type manual anchor windlass. 45 lb delta type anchor as spare. This has handled the worst anchoring conditions with an ordinary human doing the work.
14' diameter parachute drogue (never used) and 124 cone Jordan drogue (deployed 3 times) with welded attachment points on quarters.
Storm jib, storm trysail with separate track. Cruising spinnaker with snuffer sock.
15' whisker/spinnaker pole. 10' whisker pole for staysail.
Genoa, staysail and mainsail from Hasse sails (2010) with 'Strongtrack' on mast.
Two Vhf radios ( in pilothouse and under dodger), Vesper AIS transciever (stand alone), Raytheon R10X radar. Humminbird sounder. Furuno GP35 GPS. Optional Icom 718 ham radio with SGC tuner and Pactor III usb (and bluetooth) modem. Several different navigation programs with e-charts available for laptop. Engel 45 12 v refrigerator. Lavac toilet. Force 10 3 burner stove with oven , gimballed .
Fab-all (now Sigmar/Dickinson) diesel heater with tall stack and H-type chimney cap. Dickinson 'bus'-type engine heater.

Here are many more photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1173598...CrosbyPictures
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15   #7

What size is the wire and type of connectors?
Have you ever had the engine compression tested or the oil sent for analysis?
When was the last time you had the bottom blasted and what kind of barrier coat system did you use?
Does the insulation go below the water line and is it in the cabin trunk sides and top?
I understand this is a frameless design, so do the twin keels have structural floors?
Is there a second steering station inside by the swivel seat where it is warm? If not how difficult to install one?
What are you doing for electrical power? Do you have a wind generator?
What condition are all those sails since they have had heavy use on them from a 3 year voyage?
You did not post any photos of the aft stateroom. Can you post more interior photos including aft stateroom and bilges showing floors?
All the photos you posted are so low in resolution that it is hard to see the boat well.
Can you post the full resolution photos?
Are all the winches ST?
What about hot water system?
How thick is refrigerator insulation?
What is your auto pilot set up?
Are there baffles in the tanks?
Is the SSB a portable or permanently installed?
Old 02-11-2013, 13:53   #8

I'll answer your questions in order:

Quote:
Originally Posted by U W Frog View Post
- 1.What size is the wire and type of connectors?

Rigging wire is 5/16" 1x7 with stainless steel compression sleeves (same pinciple as 'nicopress') around galv. thimbles. Wire supplied and ends done by commercial logging supplies service.

-2. Have you ever had the engine compression tested or the oil sent for analysis?

Compression has not been tested and oil has not been sent for analysis. Injectors bench tested 3 months ago and are good.

-3.When was the last time you had the bottom blasted and what kind of barrier coat system did you use?

I have not blasted the bottom since construction. Bottom was initially sand blasted and coated with Devoe Bar Rust 235, followed by 2 coats of Devoe epoxy undercoat

-4.Does the insulation go below the water line and is it in the cabin trunk sides and top?

The sprayed foam insulation goes below the waterline to just above the bilges. and of course includes cabinsides and deckhead ('top').

-5.I understand this is a frameless design, so do the twin keels have structural floors?

The keel comes up inside the hull about 6" and is tied into 4" angles welded transversely from hull sides to centreline. Two on each side (port and starboard)

-6.Is there a second steering station inside by the swivel seat where it is warm? If not how difficult to install one?

I did have an inside steering station but rarely used it, so it was removed. It was connected to the rudder trimtab via push/pull morse cable and worked well.It would noy be difficult to re-install this if desired. I also had a tillerpilot that also controlled the trimtab, with a remote control. It died in the southern ocean while motoring and I haven't really missed it.

-7.What are you doing for electrical power? Do you have a wind generator?

The boat is self sufficient electrically, with 2 x 85 watt Kyocera panels through a Blue Sky MPPT charge controller. Even in winter in BC or Chile I have never run the engine for electricity. No wind generator.
No 110v shore power system onboard. No shorepower battery charger. 100 amp alternator (rebuilt 3 yrs ago, as preventive maintenance) with 3 step smart regulator.
Batteries are 4 x 6-volt Trojan golfcart batteries (3 years old), and a separate starting battery (1 yr old) charged by a 'series regulator'(Xantrex).

-8.What condition are all those sails since they have had heavy use on them from a 3 year voyage?

The sails of course have some wear but are in good condition and were built specifically by the sailmaker with this last difficult trip in mind.

-9.You did not post any photos of the aft stateroom. Can you post more interior photos including aft stateroom and bilges showing floors?
All the photos you posted are so low in resolution that it is hard to see the boat well.
Can you post the full resolution photos?

I will take and post some more specific photos per your request in the next week.

-10.Are all the winches ST?

The four cockpit winches are selftailing and the 3 mast winches are not. There are integral stoppers (clutches) for reefing lines and clew outhaul in the Isomat gooseneck. There are 3 stoppers on the mast for halyards and topping lift.

-11.What about hot water system?

No hot water system. No built in shower.

-12.How thick is refrigerator insulation?
The refrigerator is an Engel 45 https://engel-usa.com/products/engel...fridge-freezer. I have not measured the insulation thickness.

-13.What is your auto pilot set up?
The autopilot is as noted above. The windvane is used coastally and offshore.

-14.Are there baffles in the tanks?

The fuel tank has a single transverse baffle. The water tanks are smaller and do not need baffles.

-15.Is the SSB a portable or permanently installed?

The HF (ssb) ham radio is 'permanently' installed, but requires a ham license to use. It is 'opened up' for use on marine hf frequencies if necessary, and works well on all hf bands.
cheers , steve
Old 03-11-2013, 19:50   #9

Here are more interior photos as requested: https://picasaweb.google.com/1173598...eat=directlink

(captions and on-photo-text do not appear when I post photos directly to the forum , hence the link.)
Old 04-11-2013, 19:52   #10

Boat: Alan Wright, One-off, Kauri Modified full keel 31'

That is a beautiful boat.

I hope someday my financial situation will intersect with the availability of a boat like this.
Old 04-11-2013, 20:24   #11

Dexterbase, I see that your present boat is an Alan Wright ,Kauri one-off: good heritage, as that is the same designer and material as Gerry Clarke's yacht the Totorore , which was twin-keeled. He did some amazing southern voyages in that boat, very tough. Steve
Old 04-11-2013, 21:01   #12

Boat: Alan Wright, One-off, Kauri Modified full keel 31'

What a trip. I comment on this thread complimenting your boat. You notice I own a Kauri wood boat. You know of another Kauri boat. I search for Totorore and on of the pictures I see is a picture of... guess what? S/V Silas Crosby. Your boat!

What a small world. Thank you.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:25   #13

Boat: custom 34' Campos Cutter

Steve
Sorry to hear you are selling. I to have my boat for sale here in PM asking 70,000. if i hear of someone looking for steel i will refer them to you.
Abrazo Richard
Old 11-11-2013, 07:20   #14

Richard, Nice to hear from you. I had a great trip home via Aleutians etc.
I guess the weather is getting pretty good in Puerto Montt now.

Is your boat ad on this site?

Steve
Old 12-11-2013, 04:27   #15

Boat: custom 34' Campos Cutter

Steve
Yes i followed your blog. It sounded as if you had a great time. No, my boat is not here yet. I was looking to see what kind of activity other sellers were having. Far Away John says hello.
R

Tags
sail, sailboat, steel