Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2013, 17:14   #31

Boat: 36' Swain cutter
Re: 36' Steel Sailboat, Cape Horn Vet

The standing headroom is about 6'2" on the Silas Crosby.

Our method for retrieving the Jordan drogue on 2 out of 3 occasions was as follows:

I had rigged a 30' line from the apex of the bridle , loosely secured, wherever, to the stern of the boat.
When it was time for retrieval that line was placed on a sheet winch and taken in.

This brought the drogue bridle apex aboard. A short line was rolling-hitched onto the main drogue line as far as I could reach along the drogue line and led to another sheet winch and the load taken.
This allowed the first few feet of the drogue line to go slack, and that slack was placed around the first sheet winch, and the load taken up.

From that point we could just winch the drogue in, without using the self-tailer.

One person winched and tailed. The second person was right at the stern where the drogue was coming in over a plastic pipe split around the caprail, for this purpose, and to avoid abrasion of the drogue line on the caprail while it was deployed. (The attachment shackles for the drogue are on two 1/2" 'chainplates' welded on top of the SS samson posts which penetrate the deck with ss doubler plates, and are welded belowdecks to the hull via gussets.)

The person aft, guiding the drogue as it was being winched to avoid fouling the little fabric cones, was also able to heave in 5 or 6' of drogue at a time when the boat descended on the large seas which slacked off the drogue line, and the winch-person tailed this in quickly.

One wants to avoid over-rides on the winch (right?), and also the person aft needs to keep fingers and back protected, by paying really close attention the the seas. No manual hauling of heavy loads in those conditions.

It took coordination, but was rapid , taking no more than 20 or 30 minutes. The wet drogue was piled in the cockpit for later re-packing.

The one exception to this procedure was on the second deployment off Chile when I forgot about the 30' retrieval line. In that case we used two other short lines and did a series of rolling hitches until the drogue line was aboard and we could get it around a winch. This added about 10 minutes to the process.

In all 3 scenarios the wind was 25 knots or less by the time we were ready for retrieval, but there were still good seas running.

It would be much more difficult in persisting gale conditions, but I'm not sure why one would want to retrieve it in bad conditions, unless short of sea-room : oops.

Actually,speaking of sea-room, in our Aleutian scenario last June we were tempted to run for Waterfall Bay on Adak Island which was only 90miles north of us. We could see the storm coming at us from Kamchatka for a few days before that on the gribs and surface analyses.

I guess we could have turned and motored due south when we first saw the system, in the very light conditions at that time, but it was far from certain that the system was NOT going to curve north into the Bering Sea as is usual in June. We had seen several deep lows march across in our trip from Hawaii so far, and either fill in or curve north and away .

Had we decided to make a run for an anchorage, once it was clear we were going to get hit, we could well have arrived off the south-facing bay entrance, a lee-shore, just as the gale was at its height. That was a scenario that REALLY scared me, so we stayed at sea with enough sea-room to drogue around for 3 days in a big semi-circle at 1.3 to 1.6 knots.

It would be a slower retrieval for a singlehander, but the same general process could be used.

It would be much more difficult in a big boat, but big boats are much less likely to benefit from deploying a Jordan Drogue. They can just keep sailing far longer in worse conditions, without as much risk of knockdown or capsize.

But most of us are out there in relatively small boats, for many reasons not all fiduciary.

Thanks for asking that question. It is one of those deals that bears thinking about ahead of time.
Old 27-11-2013, 09:10   #32

As requested by an interested party, here is the link to several short videos taken yesterday of the Silas Crosby, inside and out.

silascrosby1 - YouTube
Old 27-11-2013, 09:32   #33

Boat: Catalina 34

Amazing boat and a fascinating thread, particularly for one found in the "classified ads" section. Wish I was a serious buyer for Silas Crosby, but for known I'll just kick back and enjoy reading about her character and adventures through the lens of other interested buyers.

pacifica - Is there a blog or some other documentation of your journeys aboard this boat?
Old 27-11-2013, 12:30   #34

Here is a link to an EQUIPMENT LIST, composed this morning, also requested by an interested party.

s/v silas crosby

This same link is also to the Silas Crosby blog, as requested by 'Hannabel'.

The stock market is HOT, now is the time to make those discretionary purchases, like stout, steel go-anywhere sailboats. Get yours now!

Did I say 'discretionary'?; wrong, the last thing I am suggesting is discretion. We need full-blown romantic dreaming here.

Go now, go often, escape the cubicle: yes , you, in the cubicle who is supposed to be collating spreadsheets ( Excel? more like 'Decel') or something instead of looking at 'yachts for sale' ads.

Life is going by!

Do you need some inspiration do the dream sooner than later?

check out this little video to help you to rearrange your priorities:
35 on Vimeo

As the guy in the video said, one wants to be able to say : "Damn, that was awesome" at the end of it all.

( credit to the John 'Hubris' Samson school of boat marketing, who else would name a boat 'Stormstrutter? )
Old 01-12-2013, 12:01   #35

I have had a few more questions about my boat by email, and I'll post the responses here as well, in case of wider interest:
here are the questions:

"great videos……can you do one of the stern area inside including top of skeg, stuffing box area. exhaust system, all around aft cabin. Can you show the storm main track set up, too.
Love that drogue. Was that the time you forgot to put out the 3rd line to pull it in with? I could only see the 2 lines.

If and when it came time to install a new engine what make and model wood you choose?

How have you been dealing/storing with the dinghy both short and long trips?

Liferaft?"

And here are my answers:

"Not going to video the aft cabin until the exhaust replacement job is done.It is in disarray at the moment. New muffler to go in today. Then order new SS pipe, then new insulating blankets.

What about the 'storm main(trysail?) track' do you want to see/know?

I haven't considered the details of a new engine, but if this one got to the end of its life I would get another Isuzu.

The Portabote is always stored on the liferails, on the inside of them, aft ,like a large surfboard. Ten minutes for assembly on the foredeck. It is too big (10') to carry assembled on deck. Tows well.

I also had a 7.5' inflatable stowed below, but very rarely used it.

By far, the kayaks were used the most ,once our kids were old enough.

Our liferaft was in a ss cradle secured to the aft cabin top with cables to cabintop handrails.

If you could only see two lines to the drogue in the video then that was the time I forgot the retrieval line. As noted, it is actually not crucial, just convenient.
Cheers"
Old 01-12-2013, 19:24   #36

Here are photos of the trysail track, as requested:
(track is mounted on a plastic strip)
Separate trysail halyard is not reeved at the moment, but the cheekblock for it is visible at the top of the track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131201_132550.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	71387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131201_132630.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	71388  

Name:	IMG_20131201_132737.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	71389  
Old 07-12-2013, 08:12   #37

TAXES on selling a boat in Canada.

I have had two questions by an interested party that I cannot answer, and I wonder if someone on the forum can help?

1. to other Canadians, perhaps specifically from BC: what tax is due when selling a used boat in British Columbia?

2. for a foreigner buying a Canadian boat in BC, what are the tax or other implications of buying and keeping the boat in BC (for long or short term)?
Old 07-12-2013, 08:19   #38

Canadians pay GST and PST...foreigners pay no tax as long as the boat is sold outside the country and the paperwork is also done outside the country..there are other little details but this answers your question
Old 07-12-2013, 08:20   #39

Boat: Corbin 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifica View Post
TAXES on selling a boat in Canada. I have had two questions by an interested party that I cannot answer, and I wonder if someone on the forum can help? 1. to other Canadians, perhaps specifically from BC: what tax is due when selling a used boat in British Columbia? 2. for a foreigner buying a Canadian boat in BC, what are the tax or other implications of buying and keeping the boat in BC (for long or short term)?
For the first question if the boat is Canadian owned already, the GST needs to be paid 5%. The purchaser is accountable for sending this into the goverment.
As a foreigner, let's say American for instance, he will also need to pay the GST but he can get that reimbursed when he goes back to the states with the boat.
Each country though may charge a tax to bring it in. Hope this helps
Old 07-12-2013, 08:21   #40

By the way these boats sail faster than they should, not sure if its the exact same design as the one I sailed with almost 30 years ago but it was a swift 36 footer.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:24   #41

Boat: OE 32

If i get this right , it is just PTS taxes on 7% ? and they can you get back if you sail out of Canada, or do I miss something?

http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_l...ns/pst_108.pdf

Tax on Designated Property (Vehicles, Boats and Aircraft) - Consumer Taxes
Old 08-12-2013, 14:04   #42

I saw the posts and read legalese. For an American to buy, my interpretation is that the seller will have to clear the boat out of canada with a proper zarp or outwards documents just as if they were going on a trip and retain a copy of such as proof they left BC and sail to the US with the buyer on board as a crew member and upon arrival at port in US the buyer (but NOT the seller) will need to clear the boat in showing a proper notarized bill of sale, builders certificate, signed canadian registry document on back transferring to buyer and approved by canadian Ministry of Transport to transfer vessel to another country, and pay duty of 1.5 percent to US customs. Seller will need copy of such clearance into the US showing port of entry to keep and will need to fill out the attached form to protect himself from liability for the tax of 12%. Use the words "Private Sale" in the invoice column. Buyer then may proceed to document the vessel with the USCG.
Buyer must beware of the State of Washington 10% "use tax"!!! If boat is kept in the state for 60 days you are liable regardless of weather you are a resident or not! NO tax in Alaska and Oregon! Only the 1.5 percent US customs duty.

see this for form

http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_l...s/0462Fill.pdf
Old 08-12-2013, 15:48   #43

Boat: Corbin 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybber View Post
If i get this right , it is just PTS taxes on 7% ? and they can you get back if you sail out of Canada, or do I miss something? http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_l...ns/pst_108.pdf Tax on Designated Property (Vehicles, Boats and Aircraft) - Consumer Taxes
The info you have pulled up is out of date. The GST tax was done away with on april1 of this year , that's why now it is only 5% . Americans can claim that 5% at the border when they leave the country.
Old 09-12-2013, 15:23   #44

I'm not 100% sure that my questions about tax and ownership were fully answered, especially about the prospect of a foreigner owning and keeping a boat in Canada. However some useful information certainly emerged. Thanks.

On another note, an interested party, who clearly is thinking hard about the details, has asked me a few more questions which I quote because others might also be interested:

"About the equipment, is there:
Life raft?
All lines/ropes (I have read about your 100meters ropes x4)

Under the table in salon, is a black floor, is it the inside of the hull? or painted wood?
I sent you a photo from one of the videos, what is that I have circled in? ( Aft cables, see photo)

I think all the electric lines on the inside look a little bit temporary.
Is the compass adjusted with all the electrics and the laptop in place?
I think all up rolled electronic lines under the radios make it like small electric coil,that could create a field that could disturb the compass?

I have never owned a steel boat, so, how do you treat a rust spot like that you have shown?

Is there a front storage space accessed from the deck? "

And here are the answers, as best as I can do:

"I have Liferaft for sale

I still have the 3 by 100 m 1/2" polysteel ropes that I used for shore tying in Chile and the Aleutians, in mesh bags.

Under the table is dark-brown painted plywood over the insulating foam.

See photos of aft cables in picasa album for explanation : https://picasaweb.google.com/1173598...umUploadDec913

Thanks for the compliment on the "temporary wiring".

As mentioned , the compass was adjusted professionally originally , but needs re-adjustment depending on what computer is installed.

See Cruisers Forum ad here, maybe in a couple of days, for discussion of how I approach rust treatment.

At the bow there are two aluminum hinged plates that lift up to access a storage area for lines etc. It has no access to inside of boat.
Old 09-12-2013, 15:39   #45

Here are three more photos , posted for the pleasure of those living in a winter climate at the moment.

Photos taken by Darren M. from his boat off the coast of Molokai in May or June of 2002, in 25+ knots of tradewind ( thanks, Darren!).
Note the absence of aluminum dodger in those days. Only one solar panel.
Flying!! and warm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	06).jpg
Views:	215
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	71807   Click image for larger version

Name:	08).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	71808