Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2016, 07:47   #1

Boat: TBD... On the hunt!
33FT Cruising Sailboat On A $30k Budget

Hello Cruisers -

My family of 3 are searching for a quality cruising sailboat in truly "sail-away" condition for 30k or less.

Our intended use for the boat is to island hop the Bahamas and also explore the ICW.

We do have a lot of lines in the water, so to speak. We are searching yachtworld, boattrader, craigslist, sailboatlistings, etc on a daily basis. We also have a broker that is looking for us as well.

We've looked at 13 boats thus far and traveled over 6000 land miles in the process. Thus far - no dice - and it certainly hasn't been for lack of searching.

Here's a general breakdown of what we are trying to find:

- Around 33ft length
- Around 11-12+ beam
- Sloop or cutter rig
- Shoal draft around 4ft
- Wheel or tiller steering
- Skeg or keel-hung rudder
- Rock solid condition structurally
- Repowered Yanmar or Beta Diesel
- Upgraded standing rigging
- Cruise-worthy fuel / water tankage
- Needs quarterberth or aft cabin
- Needs stove + oven
- Large bimini & davits would be nice
- Serviceable sails
- Autopilot would be nice
- Do not need Air Conditioning
- Do not need refrigeration
- Systems basic

Now, I do know that we have a somewhat detailed shopping list. We don't expect to find a perfect match, but we do expect to find something that is reasonably close.

We like "mid-range" brands such as Catalina, Ericson, Endeavour, Watkins, Pearson, O'Day, Columbia, etc.

We would really like to purchase at a price-point closer to $25,000 or less, but we're willing to spend as much as $30,000 for a truly outstanding bargain on a boat that is in near-perfect condition and outfitted extremely well. (i.e. - one that we can expect to get our money back out of when we're done).

If anyone has something like this for sale, or knows someone who does, please let us know. We have the money on hand and we're ready to buy as soon as we can find the right boat.

Thanks in advance for any assistance in our search!

~ Ben
Old 31-07-2016, 08:09   #2

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' NERISSA
Re: 33FT Cruising Sailboat On A $30k Budget

First look at the boats designer, next look at the builder, then look for sailing reviews, don't buy a dog, as L.F. Herreshoff said " the fun in sailing is directly proportional to the speed sailed". Look for long waterline length, in relation to overall length.
Old 31-07-2016, 08:09   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

[QUOTE][but we're willing to spend as much as $30,000 for a truly outstanding bargain on a boat that is in near-perfect condition and outfitted extremely well. (i.e. - one that we can expect to get our money back out of when we're done)./QUOTE]

I dont think what you want is impossible but "near perfect" might be.
Boats are compromises. Especially with a lower range budget you will be looking at trade offs. If sails and rigging are great, the engine might not be. If everything is great, it might be missing 10,000 worth of electronics you feel you need. More often, the used boat will just look shabby with some things that need attention.
The more "perfect" you demand for your price point, the longer you will have to look.

One way to contrain costs is to narrow your looking field to only one area that has a lot of boats. Keep that area to only that which you can reasonably reach. This cuts down on travel and keeps your focus so that a bargain wont be missed while you are tearing around looking all over the place. Just keep in mind that travel is eating into boat bucks.

Good luck on your search. Dont despair, the boat is out there.
Old 31-07-2016, 09:25   #4

Yes, the travel costs are really starting to add up.

I do think that we'd like to concentrate the bulk of our efforts around the East coast of Florida because we have family in Melbourne, FL that we can stay with and use there house as a home base. We'd still be paying for food and fuel, but at least we'd save a bundle on hotels.

We're not up against any real timeframe, and would prefer to wait until the right boat presents itself rather than to jump the gun and buy a boat that's not right just because we're run out of patience. Still - we're SO ready to get this part of the journey behind us. Starting to feel a bit, well, stuck.

The first boats we looks at were educational. We learned a lot more about "boat basics" even though all those boats didn't work out for us. Now I feel like we're past that initial learning stage and we're just looking for the right boat.

I agree - our boat is out there... somewhere...
Old 31-07-2016, 09:45   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Keep looking, less expensive, older boats seem to abound on the gulf side and Panhandle. You don't go looking in Beverly Hills for a ten yr old, used Camry.
Realistically what your looking for is the best 30 footer you can get for 30K, cause your not going to find near perfect.
Put auto pilot high on your list, all other electronics are wants, and nice to haves, I did without an autopilot for a year or two, having one is a life changing event.
Old 31-07-2016, 09:56   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

In that size range I would be looking for a Freedom 33 with a centerboard. They seem to be quite roomy for a 33'er, well built and no standing rigging to worry about.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-07-2016, 10:29   #7

Boat: Pearson 367

Probably a good idea to follow this thread....
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...147098-12.html

Best of luck with the search.
Old 31-07-2016, 10:45   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

One more thought, dont pass up boats based on the interior finishes. Thats the cheap and easy part to fix. But sometimes appearance is what turns people off. Cushions, rough wood finishes, bad headliner etc are the easy, and relatively cheap, things to replace. Use these to negotiate a lower selling price.

If you dont have it, get yourself a copy of Don Casey's "Inpecting the aging sail boat".
This will really help you narrow down priorities for your budget and really know what you are looking at.

Some gems come in the rough.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:17   #9

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep an eye on that thread for sure.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:50   #10
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Look for a CAL. Great boats for the buck. Plenty on yachtworld and I saw a nice one:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982...s#.V59v3WVQn2h

Here's one on the forum just posted.

For Sale: Cal39 MKII in Miami $21K OBO - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

There are plenty of boats out there for 30k, hence I don't believe you are serious. If you are looking for turnkey out of the showroom pristine with perfect equipment with no work to be done you are living in a fantasy.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:59   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cherubini 37

I have a 37' Cherubini built by hunter set up for cruising. She's in Panama City, FL. I'd consider selling her in your price range, but she's not a shoal draft boat. She draws 5'4". Feel free to email or call if you'd like some more info or to come take her for a sail.

Dan
Old 01-08-2016, 09:08   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

There are more than few nice fresh water boats on the great Lakes. The Canadian currency gives an American buyer good leverage
Your 30 k is about 40k up here.

Your list is long and a couple of wishes which may make shopping more interesting. The main one is a repower.

One could easily spend the whole 30k on a repower, new electronic components and some nice camvas.

My suggestion is that you make be back in the 80's to get what you want. Sabre 34 is a great boat in your price range.

Good shopping

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-08-2016, 09:09   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

My suggestion would be a Tartan 34. Fantastic boat.

Otherwise, if you want a nice coastal cruiser, look for a Catalina 30 or Catalina 34. They're comfortable, albeit a little tub-like, but they have all the creature comforts.

The comment about the autopilot is right on. An essential for anything other than a day-sail.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:49   #14

Morgan 33 OI comes to mind as something to look into. Yes, that model is long in the tooth by now, latest versions are about 35 years old but otherwise it fits your specs list to almost a tee - roomy, beamy, 4ft draft, strong like a brick s**thouse and she is a proverbial (and actual) sailboat built for Florida and Bahamas. You can get one for under $20K and use the savings for a new engine if needed.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:54   #15

Boat: Cascade 36

My "Transcendence" is for sale.
Have a look at link below

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...tXBgV8BVIMYKvQ

Michael

Tags
budget, cruising, sail, sailboat