Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 16:42   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 33FT Cruising Sailboat On A $30k Budget

Now if he could get that IP to come in within his budget, well you know I'd sing a different tune then.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-08-2016, 17:05   #77

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I like the west sail and it would do fine for a small family. BUT its IS an ocean going boat so the interior might seem dark and a bit cozy some times.

Anyway, you might also expand your search criteria into 34 to 35 feet. Boats in this range are usually more popular, so wider choice and, at times lower price over all because if the competition.
Old 03-08-2016, 17:19   #78
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

w32 IS an ocean boat. It isn't that maneuverable in tight quarters and it has a sprit. It's also a cutter rig which adds more complexity. This is not a shallow boat for say the Chesapeake. The interior is darker than a cockroach's eye and there is no privacy.

My choice, sloops:
Catalina
Hunter
Cal
Freedom <<= great suggestion.
IP 31 <== lovely boat but its a cutter
Old 03-08-2016, 17:36   #79

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
w32 IS an ocean boat... This is not a shallow boat for say the Chesapeake.
Ok, again I am going to have to give this one a big "What?".
I just got into the cruising waters of Connecticut.
Until this spring I spent the last 3 years in the Chesapeake.
I bought the boat in the Chesapeake (actually in the Yeocomico off the Potomac), where the previous owner sailed it for 18 years.
While I had unintentional groundings in my previous boat (a Columbia 8.7 which drew nearly 6 inches less than my W32), I have not had any unintentional groundings in my W32 (yet).
I am sure I am experiencing a combination of luck and improved seamanship here.
But I really just can't see how you could say that the W32 isn't a good Chesapeake boat.

My W32 actually draws LESS than most of the people I know who cruise in the Chesapeake.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:13   #80

Boat: TBD... On the hunt!

Yes fellas, the IP31 is going to be outside of our grasp.

Absolutely gorgeous boat for sure. Very functional, very intelligent use of storage, great engine... but alas, our dollars won't go quite that far.

We've got an Endeavour 36 and an Endeavour 33 in our sights for the next trip down to FL. Headed that way in another 11 days. Either one could potentially work - and I am a fan of the Endeavour boats anyways.

We thoughts about even checking out an E32 - but with only a 10ft beam I think we'd be feeling the squeeze before we even make the jump across the stream.
Old 04-08-2016, 13:42   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

What's wrong with a Cutter?
Course if you feel so inclined for whatever reason, don't use the staysail, and if it really offends you, it's easily removed.
I like having one, it's my storm sail, and it does give the boat more drive when sailing into the wind.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-08-2016, 14:05   #82

Boat: TBD... On the hunt!

Oh there's no particular problem with a cutter. The only reason the sloop would be preferred is for simplicity's sake. Less wires, less lines. I wouldn't pass up a cutter if we come across one that is suitable.
Old 04-08-2016, 17:28   #83
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat Story View Post
The only reason the sloop would be preferred is for simplicity's sake.
Exactly. Simple. On a bigger boat it might be an issue to control larger sails. Also a taller mast require for no bowsprit. Cutter more control and lower mast. But you are cruising coastal. Cutter lower mast mebbe poss for bridges though
Old 04-08-2016, 17:31   #84
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
But I really just can't see how you could say that the W32 isn't a good Chesapeake boat.

My W32 actually draws LESS than most of the people I know who cruise in the Chesapeake.
I grew up on the chess. I can tell you there are plenty of fantastic places that you would have a hell of a time getting that fat ass boat in and out of. Of course, if your only interest is condo-restaurants, have fun!
Old 04-08-2016, 17:36   #85
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat Story View Post

We've got an Endeavour 36 and an Endeavour 33 in our sights for the next trip down to FL.
Be careful about the Endeavor. Very pretty but beware construction = cored hulls as I remember.

I just found some talk on here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...35-a-2780.html

but check out your boats carefully
Old 05-08-2016, 08:40   #86
cruiser

Boat: beneteau catameran blue 2

Hey I have a 30 foot Gemini 3000 for sale 1988 in Florida for sale in your price range can sleep 6 let me know if you want pics, Doug at 337 523 6123
Old 05-08-2016, 09:06   #87

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug45 View Post
Hey I have a 30 foot Gemini 3000 for sale 1988 in Florida for sale in your price range can sleep 6 let me know if you want pics, Doug at 337 523 6123
Isnt this similar to the one the folks have on "the boat galley" web site?
If so, that would be a nice set up for a small family.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:42   #88

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I grew up on the chess. I can tell you there are plenty of fantastic places that you would have a hell of a time getting that fat ass boat in and out of. Of course, if your only interest is condo-restaurants, have fun!
Ok, I seriously am going to stop engaging you.
You aren't really saying anything that is an incrimination on the W32.
You clearly just don't like the boat and you have the exact preconceptions that people have who never sailed one have.

But more than that it is your tone and language.
You may not mean to, and I realize that words on a screen don't contain the subtle cues of non verbal communication or the variations in the tone of speech, but you are borderline abusive and coming off kind of like a jerk.
You, and this thread, would have been much better served if you had explained simply (and dispassionately) explained the experiences you've had with the W32 that led you to dislike them.

Maybe it is in fact true that there are lovely spots in the Chesapeake that cannot be seen with a 5 foot draw. But if they can be seen with a 4 foot draw, then a 5 foot draw can get close enough to kayak or paddleboard in. Not every sight is best seen from the deck of my boat.
Some of the best sights are seen up close and personal, in a way just sailing right up to them won't do.
But what you like about traveling and sailing is personal.
My boat suits my traveling and sailing style and needs.
I have enough experience with my boat that I can explain the qualities of her first hand.
You do understand that not every boat suits every sailor?
Because I do.
But you don't seem to be able to let one sailor give what he has to offer to another sailor who is looking for a boat explain the qualities of his boat to them without introducing your bias based on rumor and hearsay.
If a W32 doesn't suit Sailboat Story that is fine.
All I did was come here and post a link to a solid boat in his price range.
And it happened to be a boat I with witch I have experience.

I am done in this thread.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:21   #89
cruiser

The Westie 32 is a solid boat for offshore work. No doubt. But with a full keel, its beam, its large displacement, its bowsprit, its rig, its sailplan, its lack of maneuverability, its small cockpit, its lack of light wind performance, it cannot compete with a fin or any of the boats mentioned previously for the shallows and low wind of the ICW OR the Chess. I think it a HORRID HORRID boat to suggest here. Simply HORRID. Why do you think my friend sold his and got himself a HUNTER?

I DO happen to like the boat for other kinds of purposes. I almost bought one in Sausalito to live on at one time back in 2003, but I would NEVER suggest it as a suitable candidate for the kind of sailing they want to do. To make an argument about price point doesn't fly either since all the other boats can make that claim.

The only one with a myopic opinion or who is making cutting personal remarks is YOU, OBoy. Why? Because you cannot see the forest from the trees. You own one. You think that makes you some kind of an expert. Guess what? it DOESNT. It only make a check mark that you OWN ONE. If anything it makes you a bias owner. And since you cannot see this, since you cannot win the argument because you are WRONG, you try to deflect and marginalize and waily waily about tone or whatever. You project. How easy. How petty I see.

True, you came and gave your link, but then you started your ramblings. And you went on and on and on and on and on. So, don't play your "I am innocent game". You look worse.

Honestly, good luck with your W32 but don't try and sell a stinky swamp when what the OP is asking for is a sunny beach that moves.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:03   #90

Boat: a sailing boat

Draft 4 ft in a 33'er is not very common in boats built for open water. Will you consider any boats with more draft or a lifting keel?

This could give you a longer list of boats to chose from.

If you can go one foot up (in LOA) and one foot down (in draft) then something like this could tick some of your boxes:

MOODY 34 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

I checked quickly on the web found at least two in the US and close to your price range.

Cheers,
b.

Tags
budget, cruising, sail, sailboat