Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 15:51   #61

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: 33FT Cruising Sailboat On A $30k Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm led to believe that they really are not that slow, if sailed well and with the correct sails.
Interesting point here...
One of the guys in the Westsail group on Facebook said when he replaced his main the new sail was made with added leech.
I believe he said 9 inches, but didn't say if it was along the entire leech or just contoured with 9 inches at the apex of the contour.
In either case, he said it completely changed the characteristics of the Westsail for the better.

I am sure any skilled sailmaker would be able to replicate such an effect.
I cannot say how exactly though, because I have never designed a sail.
Old 02-08-2016, 16:05   #62

Boat: Roberts Spray 33

Figured I'd chime in since I purchased a "ready to go" blue water boat last year for 18k. Actually found it on cruisers forum.

The best advice I have is look for the deal not for the boat. Example I ended up buying a rust free steel sailboat that had only been in the water 10 years. I also bought it from one of the more expensive marinas in Annapolis. Never once did I see myself going for a metal boat but when the deal presented itself I jumped on it because it met the needs of the trip I'm planning and i was buying it at what I feel was a pretty good discount.

Do make darn sure you hire the best surveyor you can find and do find a boat that has been setup to go offshore as it will save you a lot of money. Example my boat came with a monitor windvane, watermaker, ssb, brand new wind generator, sea anchor, drogue, 300' chain anchor rode and much more because previous owners had big cruising dreams.

Before you think I got the deal of the century I did have several compromises such as: A slower heavier boat, Steel while strong brings down the resale value and requires more maintenance, the engine runs great but is a Norwegian made sabb that isn't easy or cheap to get parts for, the steering and engine controls are very strong but rather awkward to use (steering wheel behind controls in front with a variable pitch prop) and I had to replace all the electrical for safety sake.

Now onto the whole bluewater/ cruising ready thing. The previous owners had just sailed my boat from Guatemala to Annapolis not 2 months before i purchased her so they certainly considered her seaworthy. Me I thought the decks and bottom were in need of fresh paint. The electronics scared me and the rig needs replacing. So to me the boat wasn't ready to go to sea it was ready for 15-20k refit before I cut the lines.

You can get some great deals but don't get caught up in emotions and have patience. End of season like October can be great for deals up north. Things work out in the end.

Good luck and happy sailing!
Old 02-08-2016, 16:11   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Read this, it jives with what I had heard, that is the they didn't have enough headsail, and weren't balanced
http://bluewaterboats.org/westsail-32/
That boat for sale has a 4jhe, I'm familiar with it as my boat has a 4jhe, It works OK on my bigger and heavier boat, ought to work real well in a W32

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-08-2016, 16:27   #64
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I think a westsail did well a few years ago in the Solo SF => Hawaii race
Old 02-08-2016, 16:40   #65

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I know that getting a survey has been mentioned, though not in detail. And they're something which you should research for yourself, as well as checking out a surveyors background.

One of the members here, boatpoker, is a surveyor, & his website is pretty good in terms of helping one get educated on many of the details of surveying, boat construction, & other things you need to know.

When having a boat professionally evaluated, it's good to get a multi-part survey. Meaning, a seperate;
- Engine & Mechanical Survey, including an Engine & Transmission Oil/Fluids Analysis.
- Rigging Survey
- Sails/Sail Inventory Survey
- General Survey, which is the most common type.

Also, there's some good information here on the forums about Surveys done with a Thermal Imager. Which, from the pics & information about them, they seem more than worth the coin when buying anything with cored construction. Be the cores only in the deck, or in the hull also. So as to get a more accurate reading on the health of the core, & how much water is in things & where. Which is the case in most cored boats to varying degrees.

I know that when I worked with a Thermal Imager a couple of decades back, the amount of things which showed up (easily) when using them, was truly astounding.

PS: Here's boatpoker's website Marine Surveyor, Port Credit Marine Surveys, Toronto, Ontario

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 02-08-2016, 16:54   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Read this, it jives with what I had heard, that is the they didn't have enough headsail, and weren't balanced
The Westsail 32 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org
I have read that article (before I bought my boat actually).
At some point before I bought the boat somebody addressed the headsail issue.
My jib is a 135 Genoa on a roller furling gear.
Definitely not under canvased up front.
That said, I really do use my first reef point more often than I run the main at full sail.
Just seems to sail better like that, with the exception of being on a full run.
At 20 knots I go another reef point on any point of sail (first reef on a run).

The Westsail 32 that won the TransPac was in 1988, and it was a boat that had been modified, with a custom sail plan.
David shares the mods with anyone in the Westsail owners group.

FWIW, I paid $17k for mine.
It had engine problems, wood in need of love, and a couple leaks topside.
I found a low hour Yanmar 3YM30 for $3k, and have invested a lot of sweat equity into her.
I am around $25k deep on her, and she is pretty close to being really cruise ready (more than I am, still saving up my kitty).

I will keep my Westie.
Until I find the right steel ketch/schooner to replace her.
But that is still a ways off in my future I think. LOL
Old 02-08-2016, 23:20   #67

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
Interesting point here...
One of the guys in the Westsail group on Facebook said when he replaced his main the new sail was made with added leech.
I believe he said 9 inches, but didn't say if it was along the entire leech or just contoured with 9 inches at the apex of the contour.
In either case, he said it completely changed the characteristics of the Westsail for the better.

I am sure any skilled sailmaker would be able to replicate such an effect.
I cannot say how exactly though, because I have never designed a sail.
Sounds like you are referring to added roach and longer battens? Or perhaps he went from a "cruising" main with no battens (no roach) to a main with the correct roach, more drive, more weather helm, can carry more headsail. Battenless (roachless) mains don't point well. BTW but didn't they make a tall rig for W32?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 03-08-2016, 12:06   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Sounds like you are referring to added roach and longer battens? Or perhaps he went from a "cruising" main with no battens (no roach) to a main with the correct roach, more drive, more weather helm, can carry more headsail. Battenless (roachless) mains don't point well. BTW but didn't they make a tall rig for W32?
I actually wish I knew, but sadly I do not.
And this is where my lack of understanding for sail design shines. LOL

You definitely are onto the right track though.
He did in fact say the new sail had an added roach.
He said nothing about battens.
So honestly I couldn't tell you if he had battens to begin or to end with.

All the information I have on the W32 leads me to believe that the cutter was only delivered with a 43 foot mast.
The ketch, which there were a few, had a shorter mast.
But I have never seen one in the wild or seen a technical sheet.
I am sure it is in my drawings somewhere (I have a full set with all the different options and configurations), but it isn't one I remember coming across.
The W42 and W43 had masts in the low 50 foot range.
It is possible this is why people think there is a tall mast for the W32.
Not the first time I have been asked or that it has been brought up in Westsail circles.

I really would like to learn more about sail design.
The Sailmaker's Apprentice is on deck.
I plan to try and get on it while I am on my next work trip (hopefully later this week).
I think I will start another thread, please give a response when you see it
Old 03-08-2016, 12:47   #69

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
I actually wish I knew, but sadly I do not.
And this is where my lack of understanding for sail design shines. LOL

You definitely are onto the right track though.
He did in fact say the new sail had an added roach.
He said nothing about battens.
So honestly I couldn't tell you if he had battens to begin or to end with.

All the information I have on the W32 leads me to believe that the cutter was only delivered with a 43 foot mast.
The ketch, which there were a few, had a shorter mast.
But I have never seen one in the wild or seen a technical sheet.
I am sure it is in my drawings somewhere (I have a full set with all the different options and configurations), but it isn't one I remember coming across.
The W42 and W43 had masts in the low 50 foot range.
It is possible this is why people think there is a tall mast for the W32.
Not the first time I have been asked or that it has been brought up in Westsail circles.

I really would like to learn more about sail design.
The Sailmaker's Apprentice is on deck.
I plan to try and get on it while I am on my next work trip (hopefully later this week).
I think I will start another thread, please give a response when you see it
Yeah I think the Westsails got a bit of a bum rap early on. I was one those I confess calling them wet snails. It really should not be a cutter rig IMO. It's got the beam and the weight, it needs more sail horsepower I think.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 03-08-2016, 12:52   #70
cruiser

small cockpit for a family...just sayin.
Old 03-08-2016, 13:18   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yeah I think the Westsails got a bit of a bum rap early on. I was one those I confess calling them wet snails. It really should not be a cutter rig IMO. It's got the beam and the weight, it needs more sail horsepower I think.
I really like it with the cutter rig.
I think it is a good plan for a lot of different sail combinations.
Gives me more options for single handing without having one sail too big to handle alone.

But I have to say that I have always thought that I would look into converting it into a ketch when it comes time to rerig.
Like I said, I have never seen one in the wild.
I think it is a cool rig, with a lot of sail options.
Plus she would end up looking a lot like Suhaili

But in reality, the expense would be more than it is worth for the curiosity.
When I can no longer live without a ketch I will find a steel hulled ketch or schooner and knock out both of my unfulfilled dream boat wants at once.
Old 03-08-2016, 13:34   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
The deck is otherwise generous for lounging and such.
I am a particular fan of chilling on the foredeck.
I have had 6 comfortably partying in the cockpit at the dock, and 4 in there under sail has never been a problem.

This is, incidentally, an intentional design.
The thought behind it is that the cockpit can never be so full of water as to swamp the boat.
It is an older school of thought, but a perfectly valid one for a blue water cruiser.

Seriously, this has never been a problem for us in the least.
Old 03-08-2016, 14:22   #73

I am really not trying to hijack your thread or try to talk you into a boat you don't want SaltyMonkey.
I am sorry if it feels that way.
I am simply trying to give you good information about a boat that I happen to know and love.
I get it if you're simply not interest in the W32.
There is no boat that will satisfy everyone, or fill everyone's needs.

Again, good luck finding something that fits your needs and conditions
Old 03-08-2016, 15:15   #74
cruiser

Yes we all know about the small cockpit swamp thing. But a larger cockpit where they are cruising is a BIGGER DEAL. They are not heading into the North Atlantic in winter. They are ICW and Bahamas.

I say get a modern boat and enjoy sailing and coastal cruising. I like the W32 and for a SHS would be a good fit for the $$$$. But there are too many very decent and faster boats I think can be had for the same price without all that old school canoe stern **** and more in line with comfortable living.
Old 03-08-2016, 16:40   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
33FT Cruising Sailboat On A $30k Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post

Yes, but here is the rub, we are talking a small boat for a family, there is only so much room, big cockpit means smaller inside, it's got to come from somewhere, you don't get to have both unless you can go to a bigger boat. A strong point for a W32 is interior room, not so important for single handing, but for a family on a 30 footer, I'd imagine you want all the room you can get and the W32 is renown for being a big, little boat. In that regard they are like an IP, big on the inside. Yes they get that from being a little portly, but I'll take the room myself.
Everything is a compromise as we say here over and over.
Don't forget his price range, need to stay within that.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
budget, cruising, sail, sailboat