Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2011, 20:08   #1

30' Iroquois MkII Catamaran

I am putting my 30' Iroquois MkII catamaran up for sale. I've done a bunch of work, but there's still a few things to do. I'll catalog all that below. It's a good boat, with a shitty outboard, but it's a 2 hour drive to the boat which makes it really a gigantic pain in the ass for me to work on. Basically, it's chewing up more time than I care for.

Work done to date:
a. Rotted rub rail sections replaced, rub rail sanded down & re-varnished
b. Original Iroquois window design guaranteed to leak after 2 years. Replaced with 1/2" thick cast acrylic in recessed fiberglass-over-marine-plywood frames, adhered & sealed with Dow 795
c. All new tinned wiring, panels entirely new
d. New LED nav lights and LED tri-color/anchor light
e. Most deck hardware is new & shiny
f. Every single piece of hardware re-bedded with butyl tape, holes potted with epoxy
g. Rotten bulkheads repaired
h. Added 5 nicro day/night solar vents
i. Re-painted deck (while hardware was removed, so paint job will last longer)
j. Fabricated new companionway hatch out of fiberglass (in progress, should be done this week or next)
k. Main sail re-cut, jibs serviced
l. Re-galvanized anchors, anchor chain, shroud chainplates
m. Re-upholstered cabin mattresses
n. Repaired wet section of deck core. Everything is dry now.
o. Re-bedded aft portholes and square port in butyl tape, new gaskets. Porthole spacers re-fabricated out of G-10 fiberglass
p. Added new G-10 backing plates for winches, cleats, chocks, where they were missing

To do list - remaining items:

1. Mast step should be re-bedded. It's the one thing I didn't re-bed, and of course it's letting in water now
2. Headliner needs to be replaced (really - it had to be cut to do a lot of the window & backing plate installations). Probably carpet too unless you're really not picky
3. Rudder stocks are on their last season
4. Needs new trampoline
5. Outboard continues to befuddle me with stalling problems
6. There are some odds & ends left (attaching locker hinges mostly)

I'm asking $22k. Was going to ask $25k but the outboard just **** the bed again, so I'm hauling out for the season and deducting the cost of a new outboard.

Comes with rowing dinghy, and some uninstalled goodies (small solar panel, victron battery monitor, bluesky mppt charger)

Price is firm, despite lousy market. It's more of a time sink than a money sink, so if it doesn't sell I'll just pour more vacation time into it next spring. It's a really neat boat, and I'll be sad if it sells, but I don't like being away from my family to work on it.
Old 25-07-2011, 10:04   #2

Re: 30' Iroquois MkII Catamaran

Please post pics. I would like to see a few shots thanks
Old 25-07-2011, 10:12   #3

Sure. I forgot my camera when I was down at the boat yesterday, but I'll get some fresh shots when I'm back down this coming weekend.

In the meantime, here's a shot of the restoration-in-progress from last summer. At this point I had just finished seating the windows in Dow 795. You can see the rubrail is still chopped up here (new bits are all scarfed in now).

Old 29-07-2011, 10:21   #4

If you could please send pics when you have a chance thanks
Old 29-07-2011, 10:36   #5

Sure, I'll be down at the boat on Sunday packing up the mainsail, I'll take some pictures then.
Old 31-07-2011, 20:04   #6

I was down at the boat getting the sails off and took some pictures. Boat was nice and dry inside, the new windows laugh at rain, and the mast step leak has apparently stopped now that the mast is pressuring the step down. Still needs to be addressed of course, I'll put butyl tape under the bolts once the mast comes off. To be safe it's got blue shrinkwrap tape over it to keep water out til a proper repair can be done.

Now the first rule of selling is to clean everything up - nearly impossible given my drive (2 hours down, 2 hours back). So you see a lot of warts here. Frankly I expect the boat won't sell, and I'll end up finishing up the interior by next spring, and then list at a non-discount price once it's pristine. Or keep it if I get too weepy-eyed over it - entirely possible, when I am actually able to get down there I am in love with this boat. These boats normally go for mid-thirties.

Overall, all the exterior is done (well as far as a boat project is ever done, there's always something). The interior looks way worse than it really is, just because a boat with chopped up headliner is a very sad looking creature. It's not a hard job, but it is a bit time consuming, and the best glue requires spray-guns and full-face masks to prevent death-due-to-vapors. I also didn't put the cushions back in the boat, which definitely makes it look homier - but the boat is a bit filthy, so you get the uglified view.

So here's a few of the exterior. I hate seagulls and cormorants, they've turned the boat's paint job into a toilet. It's not sitting near the hose right now so I can't wash it (not that I had time with a 2 hour drive down and 2 hour drive back). I'll give it a wash once it's up on the cradles, then the mast is down and they stop sitting on the thing. I removed & moved some hardware at the last minute, so you'll see a few dots where I've filled the old holes with thickened epoxy. Need to get that touched up with paint after I've washed the boat.

Those Nicro day/night vents you see on the cabin top are awesome. Got five of them on the boat, to keep air moving (2 forward blowing in, 2 aft blowing out, and one in the head blowing out). It's only a few degrees warmer inside the boat than out now, even with all the ports closed. It used to be an oven.

You might notice things look a little splotchy on the side of the boat - that's seagull poop. Thank you, nature's sky rats. At least it's white on white...

Here's a few shots from the cockpit. The plywood companionway is just to keep rain out til I'm done with the new hatch - fabrication is done, just need to install the little wheels it rolls around on and paint it.

I redid the electrical. Here's the new panels. Oh and that white disk is half of the backing plate solution for the winch above. Once the new headliner is in, I have a G-10 fiberglass disk of slightly wider diameter that will sit on top of that, hiding the edges of the headliner and giving it all a neat appearance. As for why one bolt is only the length of the nut, either there were variations in deck thickness or I ran out of longer bolts and had to scrounge - don't recall.

Here's looking into the cabin from the companionway. I've got a bit of plywood as the sliding companionway hatch while I fabricate a new one. Almost done now, just need to install the little wheels and paint the thing. If you look close you can see I haven't trimmed the Dow 795 on the inside windows yet.

Side view w/ the galley. You can really see the untrimmed Dow 795 here, and some nice closeup views of chopped-up headliner. I've got oversized G-10 fiberglass trim rings for the vents as well, like I do for the winch backing plate, once the new headliner is in. Dangly wire to the nav light is because I don't like the old conduit and didn't want to screw it back in - was thinking about some solutions that would work better with a vinyl headliner.

Starboard forward bunk, and some of the galley. Plus boxes of boat parts. Far fewer of these than when I started...

Starboard aft cabin. The aft cabins are the really usable ones. Some dangly battery cables here, need to get that headliner off to figure out the most attractive way to route the cables.

Port forward berth. Some repair work visible here, and dangly nav light wiring - again trying to figure out most attractive way to work conduit into the headliner solution.

Port aft berth.

Some shots of the head.

Old 26-09-2011, 07:39   #7

Well, I went down to the boat this weekend to install the companionway sliding hatch and fool around with the engine. The engine started up right away, no issues at all. No idea why it was cranky with me out on the water.

Forgot my camera, so I have no pictures of the new companionway installed. Whoops.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:07   #8

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Hi,

I live in RI but am out of town until 24 Oct. Is there any chance to look at the boat the weekend of 29 Oct or 5 Nov?

John B.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:21   #9

Yeah sure, that's no problem. I'll send my phone # in a PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:26   #10

Boat: Gemini 3200

Let me guess, you don't work in advertising. It sounds like you got ticked off because the boat needed so much work you decided to put it on the market. My guess is that by the time you get a few more projects done you'll decide to keep it. I can already see signs of that in the posts with the pictures.

I sailed a bit on a friend's Iroquois Chieftan. They are fine sailing boats. I like the Gemini better but the Iroquois are lots of fun.

Fabbian
Old 04-10-2011, 07:29   #11

That's entirely likely, no telling what changes of heart the spring will bring. I do want to be honest about the condition of the boat though, if somebody buys it I don't want them feeling they were suckered.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:20   #12

Boat: 1976 - Iroquois - MKIIa

I can't think of many things that suck about living in Southern California, but having to pay $10,000+ to transport this boat across the Country would be one of them! Sailing it is not an option as I am still a working man! Wish there were more Iroquois on the West Coast!!!

Tags
catamaran