Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 23:40   #16

are you talking about the basket case or a different one? I saw one but I'm in no position to do that kind of repair

Old 13-11-2010, 13:16   #17

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
found this one on Ebay. You might want to have a look. Steel, 34 feet, Cutter rigged. Needs lots of work but may fit your bill.

34 ft Denis Ganley Steel Hull Sailboat: eBay Motors (item 300490739535 end time Nov-14-10 19:31:08 PST)

Heres another one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-...item20b512bc9a

Sabre

Old 13-11-2010, 14:37   #18

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
This is a hilarious thread. Wow.
Old 13-11-2010, 15:04   #19

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
hey...don't piss on his dream..I seem to recall someone on here posting that they had obtained like six boats for free on the Chesapeake this year...after all, the site is devoted to a culture of individualists who go against the grain anyway...there is a guy going down the Mississippi in a 25 footer on a shoestring...

Keep watching Craigslist and hang out at the boatyards and marinas..cultivate a network..there are a butt ton of abandoned boats whith pending mechanics liens which are often sold for the storage...
Old 13-11-2010, 15:43   #20

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Don't piss on my dream of pissing on his dream!

Look, it's hilarious, because I have been there. I finally narrowed down what I wanted, and got it. It's just funny to see the criteria for what is wanted, because it reminds me of when "must be blue water" was one of my requirements.
Old 13-11-2010, 16:33   #21
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Ahhhh... and there you have it.... with the first 'sea boat' comes realisim... hard and fast... and the knowledge that most boats are as 'Blue Water' as 'you' want them to be...
As you learn the boat and what she can take you'll come to realise as many have in the past... the art of cruising is in the timing... and if you time it right anything can sail around the world,,
The library's are full of books of adventures in 17ftrs and upwards....

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
Old 13-11-2010, 20:07   #22

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Don't piss on my dream of pissing on his dream!

Look, it's hilarious, because I have been there. I finally narrowed down what I wanted, and got it. It's just funny to see the criteria for what is wanted, because it reminds me of when "must be blue water" was one of my requirements.
LOL..Wasn't there a song..Dreampisser...

Wasn't just poking at you...I get amused when folks on cruising sites get on others for trying to do things differently...often while telling about friends and family telling them how crazy they are..

Guess we're laughing at the same thing from flip sides...

True..his requirements are a bit off kilter...but not impossible..

What is funny to me is that my boat has been to Hawaii and then some, and back...>I< probably wouldn't try it..she's a little light in the ass for my taste..at least outside the bay..but she can do it.. >$$$$$< later
Old 18-11-2010, 16:57   #23

Boat: TBD
I'm a bit disappointed that no one noticed that 'his' and 'him' are "Barb".

I hope you find what you seek lady person, truly. Judy and I are seeking OUR boat but in a slightly different form than you. All good things...

Jim
Old 19-11-2010, 01:43   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ahhhh... and there you have it.... with the first 'sea boat' comes realisim... hard and fast... and the knowledge that most boats are as 'Blue Water' as 'you' want them to be...
As you learn the boat and what she can take you'll come to realise as many have in the past... the art of cruising is in the timing... and if you time it right anything can sail around the world,,
The library's are full of books of adventures in 17ftrs and upwards....

While I have not had the time to read the book of those exploits, I have read some records online of the micro cruisers doing the transatlantic crossing. Those cruisers have my ULTIMATE RESPECT. I have seriously thougth about it,. I just passed on a 22 Mc Gregor for 1000.00 here locally. with trailer included from the sea scouts, If any one is interested contact me for info and photos. all it needs is halyards.
Why did I pass on it? My gut . I slept on it and deep down its not what I want. There is a boat/ yacht out there for me and its not that one. I'll know it when i see it or hear about it. I THINK i have already found it, I just have a bunch of stuff that landed on me this last couple of weekthat is delayig the trip.
Why a 25 - 30 footer?
Partly because I am not a sardine. LOL partly because I have something I want to be able to do on the days/ nights I'm kicking back that takes some room on its own. As lame as this may sound to others, I want to be able to work my wool on board.. Wool takes some space. Not a lot but it needs its own spot. Plus I have family that will on occasion will be visiting and will need a place to sleep .

As far as people trying to rain on my parade. as long as the are not rude, as far as I am concerned all they are doing is showing their lack if ingenuity and fortitude to be able to do the same thing., who knows may be they have the handicap of not being able to think along these lines, That IMHO is a major life debilitating handi-cap and we should have compassion for their special need same as we should for someone with a more obvious disability. There are people with enough money that they do not have to grow these skills. While I would not recomend voluntarily living on a sub poverty level income s a lifestyle. I have doe it and accomplished more then a few things that I wanted to do, that folks said was not possible. so there you go.
There is a boat out there, In the right time I wil be at the right place and it will happen.

The Toy: A Small Inland Water Catamaran, as built by a GIRL!

Barb
Old 19-11-2010, 01:46   #25

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeatsch View Post
I'm a bit disappointed that no one noticed that 'his' and 'him' are "Barb".

I hope you find what you seek lady person, truly. Judy and I are seeking OUR boat but in a slightly different form than you. All good things...

Jim

Thank you for noticing that I am a woman!!!!
Old 19-11-2010, 01:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post

I appreciate the link. I gave up pn doing online auctions long ago. I never win unless it is a buy it now.
Friends online all tell me the something and i this I agree, Unless I can see the boat and have a chance to go look at it and go over it with a fine tooth comb, I stay clear Its not that I don't trust sellers but lets face it, not all are honest even with the buyer protections provisions.
Old 19-11-2010, 01:53   #27

Chesapeak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zopi View Post
hey...don't piss on his dream..I seem to recall someone on here posting that they had obtained like six boats for free on the Chesapeake this year...there are a butt ton of abandoned boats with pending mechanics liens which are often sold for the storage...

There you go all I have to do is get to the Chesapeake......LOL

Barb
Old 19-11-2010, 02:07   #28

Boat: No boat, looking again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by useDaGreyMatter View Post
. . . . NO BLISTERS!

The boat I just bought came with no blisters. They came later as I scrubbed, scrubbed, scrubbed, scrubbed, cleaned, cleaned, polished, took out heaps of screws which held in busted stuff, worked on the motor and rowed back and forth to the public wharf a zillion times getting more water for cleaning. But then my hands toughened up and guess what, no blisters.
Old 19-11-2010, 02:46   #29

Love it!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo View Post
The boat I just bought came with no blisters. They came later as I scrubbed, scrubbed, scrubbed, scrubbed, cleaned, cleaned, polished, took out heaps of screws which held in busted stuff, worked on the motor and rowed back and forth to the public wharf a zillion times getting more water for cleaning. But then my hands toughened up and guess what, no blisters.

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barb
Old 20-11-2010, 02:01   #30

Barb, Dont give up yet. I got my Vindo 40 for free