Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2013, 19:48   #1

Boat: 1972 27' Freedom Cutter Rig
pirate 20-30 hp Marine Diesel

BOLO: I'm in need of a small marine diesel engine (20-30 hp) for my 27' sailboat, there is currently a Volvo MD6 from 1972 in there, too much rust in the top end so I need to replace it. I prefer not to have another Volvo, so looking for a Yanmar, Perkins or Westerbeke. I will gladly sell the old Volvo for parts since they don't make that model anymore. And of course I need it cheap or can barter varnish for some of the cost. Please let me know Thanks Captain Connie
Old 17-09-2013, 18:21   #2

Boat: Irwin. 28 ft
Send a message via AIM to pdjb
Re: 20-30 hp Marine Diesel

I had volvo md10 rusted to hell...took it out and put on a 15 hp.outboard instead...took out gas tank and builded a storeage unit for stuff...looks and does the job....pdjb
Old 21-09-2013, 20:12   #3

I've got a universal 27hp diesel Will take $3500. Completely rebuilt.

Call me 601-502-6920
Old 22-09-2013, 08:34   #4
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

do a search for the ferrymann 36HP.
they tend to be super cheep, thou not great engines, they will work if you sail 99.9% of the time.
or just get an outboard!
i am a big fan of outboards for small sailboats.
Old 22-09-2013, 09:08   #5

20 to 30 HP is much more than needed in a 27 foot boat. You may not even be able to fit a prop big enough to absorb that much power, and it will only give you a little more speed. Before you put out any money, check to see if the engine beds will fit a different engine. The more modifications you have to do, the more time and money it will cost you. The most economical way would be to find a well maintained MD6 and just drop it in.Keep the old one for parts. If you are dead set against Volvo, look for something the same physical size or smaller, so that you have the least modifications. Just my 2 cents worth. ____Grant.
Old 27-09-2013, 17:49   #6

Boat: Prout, Snowgoose, 37

I have a 30 hp Yanmar with approximately 500 hours on it. It came off yacht generator that died a young death. Motor still good. Looks good runs good. $2500. Located Crystal River Fl. Jim
Old 27-09-2013, 19:43   #7

Boat: Compass 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
20 to 30 HP is much more than needed in a 27 foot boat
+1

Fuel consumption - anything above hull speed will just chew through diesel like there's no tomorrow, and carrying enough diesel for long trips on a 27 footer isn't easy.

Weight - the extra weight of that bigger engine/box plus the extra fuel may well erode any advantage you get.

Engine duty - you'll mostly run your 30hp lightly loaded, which will not be good for it.

A 12hp 2GM Yanmar pushes my 3.3 ton long keel 28 footer along very nicely.

lockie
Old 27-09-2013, 20:36   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I would caution you against buying an old Westerbeke unless it's a very common model and shares parts with a same block Perkins. Otherwise you will spend a fortune on parts if anything needs repairing.
Old 28-09-2013, 03:30   #9

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I would caution you against buying an old Westerbeke unless it's a very common model and shares parts with a same block Perkins. Otherwise you will spend a fortune on parts if anything needs repairing.
I thought volvos were even more exp for parts? Our last 2 out of 3 boats had westerbekes only expensive part I had to replace was a water pump">raw water pump that had a bearing go bad and it was not a westerbeke pump.
Old 28-09-2013, 05:36   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I thought volvos were even more exp for parts? Our last 2 out of 3 boats had westerbekes only expensive part I had to replace was a raw water pump that had a bearing go bad and it was not a westerbeke pump.
The last Volvo I had was 35 years ago so hard to remember exactly what the parts cost. I do know that parts for Volvo's cars are very high. Basing my complaint about Westerbeke parts on overhauls my 1984 W58 plus from other Westerbeke owners. I spent a couple hundred just for a valve cover gasket and a few other gaskets on the block. After that I got a sheet of gasket material and made the rest. I too bought a new raw water pump. Old pump I figured out was a standard Sherwood which I found for $200 less than the same pump from Westerbeke. So looked to me like Westerbeke bought the pump from Sherwood and marked it up about 80%.

I am basing all this on an old, discontinued model Westerbeke. Newer models may be a different story. Also if you get one that matches a model from Perkins like the old 4-107 you can shop around for cheaper parts.
Old 30-09-2013, 16:48   #11

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

If you have not found an engine, check this out

CL space coast all for sale / wanted boats - by owner

vgn3b-4101170190@sale.craigslist.org [?] flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of Posted: 2013-09-30, 5:22PM EDT
13 HP Marine Diesel Engine - $600 (Palm Bay)

Westerbeke 13 HP diesel engine. This engine was removed from a 4.4KW marine generator after the genset failed . Because it was powering a generator, it has no gearbox or engine mounts, nor is there an alternator. It does come with a starter (not shown), a marine heat exchanger, the original control panel with wire harness and many spare parts including a wet muffler, and manuals. The engine ran great when I took it off the boat and it turns freely. This engine can be used to repower a boat, or power a watermaker and alternators, or replace the engine on a genset. The engine has only 2094 hours and was well maintained. Cash only please.

Tags
diesel, marine