Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 06:55   #31

Just an FYI, if you are planning on going thru the Okeechobee waterway, you acess it through Stuart Fl. not Ft. Pierce. Stuart is 20 miles south of Ft. Pierce, then you come up the St. Lucie River to the OW.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:20   #32

re:

thanks everyone for all the posts and advice.

my mistake on the florida geography, i wasn't consulting a chart and just going from memory. :-)

still trying to get my travel plans finalized.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:27   #33

fuel pump update

just noticed in the original post with the boat details that i hadn't mentioned the replacement of the primary fuel filter with a brand new Racor unit in November. i ran it for a week and then replaced the primary and secondary filter elements again. i have an extra of each element onboard.
Old 07-02-2011, 13:54   #34
cruiser

I was 'targeting' Stuart, FL as it seemed they had more boats listed there and the rent prices are cheaper there.. not sure why???

But, I am still interested... I will leaving California on Feb 22...and will probably be there by the beginning of March... or earlier.. If you want help sailing her down, I would be interested if your timing allows for it?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:44   #35

At the Boat this weekend

I will be going back to the boat this weekend to check on things and show the boat to a few interested people.

i should be arriving at the marina in South Carolina in the late afternoon / evening of Saturday the 12th, and staying through the afternoon of sunday the 13th.

just a quick trip, but if anyone would like to see the boat in person and can make there, just let me know by posting here, a private message through the forum, or via email at blacksheep196@hotmail.com.

thank you

paul
Old 20-02-2011, 15:45   #36

update

was at the boat today and showed it to a few interested people. not sure if any of them are subscribed to this thread, but if they are, i was wondering if any of them wanted to add anything to this post. (positive or negative is fine as long as it's honest). it's always good to get a fresh perspective on things, and i thought it might help those of you who can't get over to see the boat as easily.

either way, it was great meeting everyone that came out today. it's always a nice day in the sun on the boat, even if it's just sitting at a dock. :-)

i also have some more of the paperwork from the boat, so i might have some time to look through it tonight and possibly add or update anything that i find in the maintenance records.
Old 20-02-2011, 16:46   #37
cruiser

cool, glad you ahd a good day... wish i could say the same... unfortunately. just another day for me..

anyways.. i am still totally interested in seeing your boat...

what was the draft on it again?

thanks

bill
Old 22-02-2011, 12:27   #38

Re: 1978 Columbia 8.7 Sailboat - $9500

draft is 4 feet 8 inches.

there's a link i posted on page two of this discussion that will take you to an entire page of specs and a full review of the columbia 8.7.

we'll discuss meeting up in florida if/when i finally get to head out from here and start making my way south.

thanks
Old 22-02-2011, 12:59   #39

UPDATES FROM PAPERWORK FILE:

**Autopilot unit is a Raymarine SmartPilot X-5 ST6002 Controller (tiller system). This item was installed November 20th in Milford, Connecticut by L&L Electronics. cost was roughly $2500

**Brand-new in box Raymarine ST60 plus depth system with thru-hull trandsucer to match the autopilot unit. was going to install so that later i could run these as a connected system. cost just under $500

** Last full survey that i have a copy of was done on May 31, 1997.
The recommendations were:
Double clamp all through hull fittings
Install spare ground tackle
and the conclusion was:
This survey cannot be construed to guarantee or warrant the condition or operational condition of the vessel. With the exception of the few items mentioned in this report, this vessel is in very good condition, and is, without question, capable of Ocean service. I feel this vessel is a safe insurance risk. Due to it's very good condition and inventory of extras, it's value is between $18,000 to $20,000.
(of course that was in 1997 haha)

** I have the original Owner's Manual for the Columbia, and the original Instruction Manual for the Avon, as well as the original manual for the Johnson outboard motor for the dinghy. I also have the owner's manual for the Yanmar 2Qm15 engine, but seem to have left that on the boat so i'm not sure if it shows the install date.

** Have what possibly looks like the original Certificate of Documentation from the US Coast Guard. It was issued on 11/27/1982 under the vessel name of Shadow Fax with a home port of Providence, Rhode Island.

** ALso have a second Certificate of Documentation from the US Coast Guard. It was issued on 03/28/1994 under the vessel name of Glad Rags with a home port of Boston, Massachusetts.

** oh, and the original installation, operating, and service instructions for the Jabsco manual marine toilet in the head. :-)

that seems to be it in this batch. i think i have some more floating around on the boat though. i'll grab them next time i'm onboard.

thanks
Old 22-02-2011, 13:16   #40

oh, and i had forgotten that i purchased an additional battery that i was going to wire up as an additional house battery and an inverter to hook up to it as well for additional outlets onboard.

Battery is a brand-new in the box Optima Blue top D31M dual purpose (starting and deep cycle). cost roughly $250

Inverter is a brand-new in the box Eastern Steel 1250w inverter with necessary cables to attach it to a battery. believe it cost about $100
Old 23-02-2011, 13:26   #41
cruiser

im still interested, but in case you havent read the other thread, i am having some issues... i left cali on time, but my car caught fire just outside Tuscon, AZ.

I will be waylayed here for a fefw days, maybe a week? not sure what i am going to do but i am sure it will cost me a couple grand.

But, hopefully I will have enough to make this deal go thru???

anyways, I look forward to meeting you and seeing your boat...
Old 23-02-2011, 18:17   #42

wow, to sorry to hear about your car. That definitely puts a damper on the trip. hope nobody was injured.

looks like i will probably be setting sail from South Carolina Friday or Saturday. I'm hoping to make good time down to florida and through the Okeechobee Waterway. I've got a place with some friends that i can dock at for a while just north of Ft. Myers.

keep me updated on your progress and we'll work out a time and place to meet up.
Old 23-02-2011, 18:19   #43
cruiser

when will you be in ft meyers?

I thought you were headed towards Stuart? I am renting a trailer for the remainder of teh trip and getting rid of the boxes on the outside.. this way i can park the trailer overnight and not worry about stuff getting ripped off..

I told the uhaul company that i was going to stuart, but can change it to ft. meyers...

let me know..
Old 23-02-2011, 18:49   #44

i'm not sure on the timeline. plan is to leave this weekend. i'm rough estimating about a week or a week and half from hilton head to Stuart? Port Royal is MM 539 on the ICW and Stuart is around MM 988. So roughly 450 miles. Before the holidays i was averaging around 50 a day, but that was in some nasty weather/cold from rhode island down, so i'm hoping to do at least that now that i'm in the south.

Stuart is where i can pick up the Okeechobee waterway to cut over to Ft. Myers. i'm guessing that would take another two or three days across tops.

again, that's all off the top of my head without charts or wind and weather conditions for the next week or two.

what kind of driving schedule are you looking at right now? like, what would be the soonest you could reach the eastern coast of Florida? say if you drove straight across on Interstate 10 you would eventually end up in Jacksonville, Florida. A shorter trip for both of us.

let me know your estimated travel times and we'll go from there.
Old 23-02-2011, 20:59   #45
cruiser

well, first off, would you be willing to take me with you on your way to Tampa Bay? Think of it as a shake down/pre purchase type of thing?

If so, I would meet up with you where ever is convenient??? As for time line, I am guessing i can get on the road by mid day on Monday, Feb 28.... Not sure how long it will take if I drove straight thru nor do i think i am capable. I am guessing I could do it 'semi-comfortable' in 3 day, maybe 4?

I would like to meet up in Stuart, as i think I might live there.. Ft. Meyers would be my second choice...

I could always take a bus back up to get my truck... and or sail my boat back up to my truck.. whichever way i choose on living places, and learning places?

Tags
columbia, sailboat