Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2014, 15:49   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
125A High Output Yanmar Fit Alternator

Hi All,

A customer decided on a bigger alternator after I had just finished installing this one. It has never been run just installed, then removed. It was wired then removed for a 180A alternator.

This is not a wimpy automotive alternator. I custom manufacturer these to my own stringent specifications including paying for marine certifications.

It is set up for a tach output for those Yanmar's that run the tach off the alternator. This alternator is hand made in America with US labor. It is set up for external regulation only and has no internal regulator. I can also sell it as a package with a Balmar MC-614 regulator..

Special features:

*Hand wound stator - 14GA wire means better cooling.

*Precision machined rotor and slip rings for greater contact at all RPM.

*Tight tolerance stator/rotor gap for better performance. A feature not found in standard alternators.

*Precision milled stators utilizing a special dacron/mylar insulator. The industry norm is paper..

*Rotor is precision balanced to .025 ounce inches. Industry norm is .050 - .090. This means SMOOTH operation and less harmonics...

*Motorola 50A press fit diodes! Industry standards are no-name Chinese button diodes and 30A rated. These diodes carry a performance rating to 300F.

*Internal wire leads are ultra high temperature acrylic coated fiberglass insulation sleeves not cheap rubber sleeving.

*Brushes are high copper content composite not run of the mill carbon brushes. This yields superior conductivity and considerably longer life.

*This alternator is isolated ground and the neg terminal is 100% isolated from the case. This is a significant upgrade over cheap case ground alternators. Both the positive and negative studs are 5/16" not wimpy 1/4" or #10 studs. These studs are bolted directly to the rectifier bridge for the best possible connection. Industry standard is a compression fit.

*Even the cooling fan is stainless steel..

I sell this alternator for $599.00 and offer a better alternator than most competitors, and for less money.

Because this one was installed, but never run, I am selling it for $100.00 less.

$499.00 for the alt plus US shipping
$780.00 for the alt plus Balmar MC-614 regulator (brand new) plus shipping

compassmarineservices at gmail dot com

I can install either a 1/2" pulley or 3/8" which ever your engine is set up for.

Old 14-07-2014, 16:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 125A High Output Yanmar Fit Alternator

PM sent
Old 14-07-2014, 16:10   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually I can't PM you, you have too may already, will you PM me?
Old 15-07-2014, 05:57   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've come to the realization that I have many other things to buy first before going to a bigger alternator, like a set of decent batteries, Solar etc.
Anyone else needing or wanting this, take it, it's a great price
Old 15-07-2014, 12:20   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I've come to the realization that I have many other things to buy first before going to a bigger alternator, like a set of decent batteries, Solar etc.
Anyone else needing or wanting this, take it, it's a great price
I tried to PM you with answers to your questions but your box was full...
Old 15-07-2014, 14:27   #6

Boat: Jonmeri 40

I am too new a member to PM. Am I overlooking something in your posting: What brand IS this alternator? I am in Malaysia but my husband is in California for a week, if you think you could get it to him in time.
Old 15-07-2014, 14:30   #7

Oh, wait, your photos didn't load the first few times (Internet is the pits here). So this is your own brand and build?
Old 15-07-2014, 14:50   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I tried to PM you with answers to your questions but your box was full...

Sorry about that, that has been rectified.
Old 16-07-2014, 00:46   #9

Boat: Kaufman 47

Is this still up for sale MainSail? And is this/can this be compatible with LiFePo4(I'm on the fence, probably going to get it though)
Old 16-07-2014, 03:41   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
Is this still up for sale MainSail? And is this/can this be compatible with LiFePo4(I'm on the fence, probably going to get it though)
This is really too small for LFP.. If you need a small case alt for LFP Mark Grasser or the Balmar AT series..
Old 16-07-2014, 12:56   #11

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
This is really too small for LFP.. If you need a small case alt for LFP Mark Grasser or the Balmar AT series..
Oh alright, just wanted to ask as I just bought a new Yanmar 4hj4-te 75hp that came with the stock 80a alternator. I was going to use that for strictly the engine battery and mount a second one for the house. I was looking at the Mark Grasser alts but saw this deal pop up. Thanks anyways.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Old 22-07-2014, 15:03   #12

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 37

powermax usa sells a 220 amp yanmar alternator for $220
works great on my yanmar
they also reduce the pulley size that helps with the low rpm of a diesel
very helpful guys there, wired the alternator for my application at no extra charge

they sell on ebay

and their 105 amp is for sale at $110

just make sure to use a thicker cable to the positive side of your battery bank
and a thicker cable from battery bank negative to your earth / ground on your yanmar motor

i also installed an inline fuse on the alternator output side - also from ebay (radio amp inline fuse and fuse holder 250amp)

my 220 amp alternator charges my bank of batteries very quickly

and it is possible to install two of these on your motor should you decide to do that, just wire each separately to charge different battery banks
and cut your charging time time down to half
Old 22-07-2014, 17:17   #13

Thank you for the info. The boat and I are in Malaysia, so shopping on US eBay isn't too attractive even at those prices. We barely have room in our engine box for the single 124 amp Ample Power we've run for the last 14 years, plus we have gel cells so can't push too much juice thru them. My husband is returning from a trip to California, had ordered a replacement from Ample Power but they neglected to tell him it was a 2-week back-order until the next-to-last day. We took a look at this custom alt in Maine, but that couldn't be shipped in time. Luckily he was able to find the right Ample Power in stock right there in the Bay Area. OK, so we paid $550 -- DHL would have charged far more than that had we needed to have it shipped.

Here's praying that the airline doesn't lose any of his luggage with all those precious boat parts (he's bringing back a complete, new B&G electronics system).

Regards,
Alii
Old 22-07-2014, 18:00   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alii View Post
Thank you for the info. The boat and I are in Malaysia, so shopping on US eBay isn't too attractive even at those prices. We barely have room in our engine box for the single 124 amp Ample Power we've run for the last 14 years, plus we have gel cells so can't push too much juice thru them. My husband is returning from a trip to California, had ordered a replacement from Ample Power but they neglected to tell him it was a 2-week back-order until the next-to-last day. We took a look at this custom alt in Maine, but that couldn't be shipped in time. Luckily he was able to find the right Ample Power in stock right there in the Bay Area. OK, so we paid $550 -- DHL would have charged far more than that had we needed to have it shipped.

Here's praying that the airline doesn't lose any of his luggage with all those precious boat parts (he's bringing back a complete, new B&G electronics system).

Regards,
Alii
Glad it worked out for you. Unfortunately there was no way for me yo get it to CA on the flight schedule...
Old 25-07-2014, 06:47   #15

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Now if you could just tweek it to 24 VDC I would be interested!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
alternator, yanmar