Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-01-2014, 11:49   #1

Worth the money?

Im looking into purchasing a FP and I found this one I might bid on. Obviously without hauling this out of the water, do you think this is worth the price, or does anything stand out from the description as needing work?

Denison Yacht Sales - Yacht Brokers in Florida and California | Denison Yacht Sales

Armyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:08   #2

Re: Worth the money?

You may want to run the comps over on Yachtworld to get a feel for what a 1995 FP Athena is selling for. She is a nice cat, but a tad high on the price.

Fountaine Pajot Athena 38 Boats For Sale

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:04   #3

Thanks very much, I hadn't seen that on yacht world.
Armyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:36   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

The asking price is about what we paid for our 2003 Athena 5 years ago, so yes it's a bit high. However, selling prices typically can be 20-25% below the asking price so if you could negotiate that reduction and if the boat is in good condition you could get a bargain. The Athena is a great boat, solidly built and considerably lighter than the later models so they sail pretty well.

The key factor in the price you are prepared to pay will be the condition of the engines/saildrives, sails, standing rigging, cushions and linings. All of these are big ticket items so I would advise researching prices and ruthlessly discounting the price in good condition by the full cost of any of those items found wanting. If the engines are original, then I would assume these will need replacing anyway. Try talking to a multihull broker and get a typical selling price for that model/year.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:01   #5

I am not going to be so kind as the previous responses.

1a) Check your emotion at the door.
1b) If it helps, imagine the pretty pictures on the most overcast, sullen day you can imagine. She's bucking like a bronco in some God forsaken anchorage barely over the shallows (that is not to say you would find yourself in such a place) dragging her tiny claw you call an anchor. Oh, the rode is chaffed (or for the 'all chain' brood, it's undersized and weak)

Now...what is the condition of all that is listed? F'rinstnace, 2008 sails would seem to imply used but in serviceable condition. But what is the reality? That ad was written by an impartial broker working on commission.

Does the chart plotter even work? For all you know it's a modern day masterpiece. And six of the (10) deck hatches leak.

The questions are endless. If at all a serious buyer, plop down a refundable $1,000 and hightail it to the boat with a knowing third party as entourage.

Whether $179 is under- or over-priced is based upon what you are willing to pay
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: