Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2013, 19:39   #1
Registered User
 
John413's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Naples, FL
Boat: Fountaine, Bahia & 46'
Posts: 87
Images: 2
Wind shield ideas or eisenglass

Ideas for those times at the helm with foul weather or spray coming over into the cockpit?

Thanks,
John
FYI...paper work on Tuesday and sail home from the keys this weekend! Dream of over 20yrs.. House = boat new adventure!
__________________

__________________
John413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 20:02   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
Rocketman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Naples, FL
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Posts: 668
Re: Wind shield ideas or eisenglass

Macrolon!!! This stuff is used in place of eisenglass, it is realy like plexiglass only you can sew it with a heavy duty machine. I built my own dodger using it and it is great. It cost a little more but should last several times longer and it is so clear you almost can't see it. I posted a few pic's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat dodger 005.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	62748  
__________________

__________________
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 20:09   #3
Registered User
 
John413's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Naples, FL
Boat: Fountaine, Bahia & 46'
Posts: 87
Images: 2
Thumbs up Re: Wind shield ideas or eisenglass

Sweat! What's the cost to build us one?
__________________
John413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 21:10   #4
Marine Service Provider
 
FLLCatsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Macrolon!!! This stuff is used in place of eisenglass, it is realy like plexiglass only you can sew it with a heavy duty machine. I built my own dodger using it and it is great. It cost a little more but should last several times longer and it is so clear you almost can't see it. I posted a few pic's.
Can you roll it up?
__________________
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 06:21   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
Rocketman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Naples, FL
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Posts: 668
Re: Wind shield ideas or eisenglass

You can't roll it up so I used zippers, so I can take panels out if I want. There are 3 panels in the windshield area, a Rt, Lt, and center. I used H2ube for the frame which allows me to remove the windsheld completely or the canvas roof. So far in Florida I have not felt the need to remove any part of it. John 413 shoot me a PM sometime when you are back in Naples, I would love to meet you guys and if you offer enough rum I might fire up the sewing machine.
__________________
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 19:20   #6
Registered User
 
John413's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Naples, FL
Boat: Fountaine, Bahia & 46'
Posts: 87
Images: 2
Re: Wind shield ideas or eisenglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
You can't roll it up so I used zippers, so I can take panels out if I want. There are 3 panels in the windshield area, a Rt, Lt, and center. I used H2ube for the frame which allows me to remove the windsheld completely or the canvas roof. So far in Florida I have not felt the need to remove any part of it. John 413 shoot me a PM sometime when you are back in Naples, I would love to meet you guys and if you offer enough rum I might fire up the sewing machine.
Think we can find the rum needed to send you into space. 1st to fire up the engines and (sailrite) then off the to what planet you would like.
We go this weekend for the boat. Email is mailittojohn@aol.com
260.413.6072 just need a shopping list .. Sure we could volume right..
Maybe personnel message or sorry for my bad... All have it to see.
THANKS! Look forward to talking n a meet.
__________________
John413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 00:38   #7
Registered User
 
Kiwikat's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Zealand
Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Posts: 287
Re: Wind shield ideas or eisenglass

We recently had new bimini and clears done for our Bahia. Strataglass (TM*)for the front windshield with Stamoid Open for the solid. Rollable and zipable. Congrats for the new boat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	63151   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0082.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	63152  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	63153  
__________________
s/v Stray Cat
Not all those who wander are lost
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 17:40   #8
Registered User
 
John413's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Naples, FL
Boat: Fountaine, Bahia & 46'
Posts: 87
Images: 2
Re: Wind shield ideas or eisenglass

Looks great! We have a cloth Bimini and when it rains, water comes into the cockpit.... Nice in closer !!!! Ruff cost if you don't mind please.
Thanks
John413
__________________
John413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 18:07   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,363
Re: Wind shield ideas or eisenglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
We recently had new bimini and clears done for our Bahia. Strataglass (TM*)for the front windshield with Stamoid Open for the solid. Rollable and zipable. Congrats for the new boat
Yep, my Lagoon 42 was just like that. The windows unzipped and rolled up, although I seldon did it. I could "drive" that thing in a torrential down pour and not get wet.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 21:35   #10
Registered User
 
Kiwikat's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Zealand
Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Posts: 287
Re: Wind shield ideas or eisenglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by John413 View Post
Looks great! We have a cloth Bimini and when it rains, water comes into the cockpit.... Nice in closer !!!! Ruff cost if you don't mind please.
Thanks
John413
Thanks John, PM to follow shortly.
__________________

__________________
s/v Stray Cat
Not all those who wander are lost
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:58.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.