Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 02:28   #1

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution
Wind Generator

Any added a wind generator to their Lipari? I'm interested on where and how you mounted it and yes the type you chose. I'm currently looking at a Rutland 914 but still looking at all the options. Working through where and how to install it. I think at this stage over the port side engine room but interested in what others have done?

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 03:08   #2

Re: Wind generator

We have a Air Breeze on a Helia which the factory mounted behind the helm station clears on the stb side. Apart from the ridiculous positioning don,t go near the Air Breeze. Noisy and inefficient. The Rutland is about maintenance of batteries not serious generating power. Either the Ampair 300 or if your really into maintaining your batteries whilst out and about the D400. Both are quiet, but the D400 rocks and will generate 60amps in 20knots. But down side is 17kg. We have 880kw of solar and still have trouble maintaining a two draw fridge and freezer. My next move is a D 400 on the port side. Of course it all depends on how much time your spend on your boat, room you have for regulators on the same side as the batteries, and your power requirements. 5 blade will always be quieter than 3 blade, and from one that turns the wind gen off each night due to noise, this is an important consideration. We have just done a 9 day crossing and the wind gen was a crucial element in our power considerations. Choose wisely.
Nasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 04:30   #3

Boat: Stevens 47

Agree with Nasa about Rutland and Air Breeze (I have had both), but I think there must be a typo saying that D400 generates 60 amps in 20 knots. The power output graph on the D400 website shows 15 amps in 20 knots. A nearby friend with a D400 reports more or less the same as the powercurve. We've just installed a SilentWind 420+, and are really happy with it - really quiet (similar to D400) and similar to D400 output, but I think better.
Our experience is here
S/V Totem - a family sailing the world: Choosing a wind generator: power projects aboard
and here
S/V Totem - a family sailing the world: Installing Silentwind: power projects aboard
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 05:09   #4

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasa View Post
...... We have 880kw of solar and still have trouble maintaining a two draw fridge and freezer. ....
Wow! That's enough power for the freezer section of 2 large grocery stores!

I would guess you have ~1000 times less...
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 01:25   #5

Our power usage is reasonable and the solar I have is quite good (440 watts). It's just when you have a week overcast like we have just had I start going backwards. Usually when anchoring I'm looking for a sheltered spot, hopefully in less than 20 knots so the peak output is less important than how early it starts generating some reasonable output. It is usually the power usage overnight that I am trying to deal with. So ideally I want a wind generator that will start at low speed and generate enough to maintain the batteries overnight but QUIETLY. I like the D400 but they are so expensive , even the silent wind are not cheap. A boat down the finger from us has a silent wind and not sure if it is just his but it doesn't seem so silent. I have looked at the Rutland based on a recommendation of a friend how has the 913. Doesn't generate Hugh output but does generate reasonable for a long time in as little a 8 knots. It's not as heavy and seems quiet, and at a reasonable price. I do have a little Honda type generator that I can use if pressed but would like to find a quiet more permanent solution.

I'm currently researching rubber mounted poles to mount a wind generator on as I thing some of the problems is the resonance transmitted down the pole into the hulls particularly as where I think I will mount it is over the guest berth. Hence the question about other lipari owners who may have one fitted.

Old 14-06-2014, 13:31   #6

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Wind generator

Our silentwind claims it starts up in 4.4 knots but the reality is that it doesn't start up unless you are in at least 10 knots sustained winds. So my dream up generating 1/2 or 1/3 amp in 5 knots won't happen with this generator. I raised my concerns with the vendor and they offered up that my mast is bent. The same mast that was used successfully with our 4 winds since the early 90's.

Besides, is anything that vertical on a boat that is constantly rocking? Anyhow... It's very vertical.

I wish I had bought a d400.

With that said... Every thing totem has said is true... It is quiet and it is easy to set up. When it does turn, it produces the rated output. It's also very light.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 13:55   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

I recorded a short video of our Silentwind in action and posted it somewhere on CF. I'm on my pad so can't easily search, but I think it's in the Silentwind thread. Ours is not "silent", but it's pretty darn quiet, especially compared to the Air group of generators. I've yet to be able to directly compare it against a D400.

Zboss, are there any small wind generators that produce much power at such low wind speeds? I agree with you, our Silentwind doesn't really start to move until we see about 8-10 knots of wind (measured at the masthead ... our generator is lower, on a short mast). But we don't really see much production until ~12 knots. It seems to perform roughly to their specs.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 14-06-2014, 14:14   #8

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Before installing anything look at the Sunforce 600 watt turbine. We have had it installed on our 07 Leopard for almost 2 years just aft of the starboard engine room but instead of on a pole mount we actually installed an arch so it is mounted to that. The thing that makes the sunforce so appealing is it is AC so you can keep the wire size reasonable. The unit comes with a massive MPPT controller and is simple to install and maintain. The unit is super quiet and comes in a low or high wind start model that you must specify. Ours is the higher speed unit it makes 2 - 5 amps between 7 - 10 kts. At 12 - 15 kts its putting out between 10 - 15 amps. At 18 kts and above you looking at 25 - 30 amps. Sailing in the trades it keeps everything toped off. Several of my neighbors have them now and everyone Ive spoken to love em.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 15:13   #9

The sunforce seem to be getting very popular. We saw at least as many of those in the last marina we were in as older air-x. People seem to be very happy with them and they are almost as quiet as our Silentwind.

The silentwind is also A/C and comes with a regulator which is fully programmable. The regulator has a "user" output as well; I suppose you could hook that up to a small water heater element. You can program the user output to go on at certain voltages and turn off on others.

Is it true the winds in the Bahamas blow 15 knots all day and night during the winter?
Old 29-06-2014, 14:52   #10

Boat: 2023 Catalina 425 #95 (previously, 2016 Leopard 44 catamaran and 1997 Catalina 34 Mk II)
Re: Wind Generator

It's too bad that no one has figured-out how to turn a wind indicator into a wind generator...

Raymarine? Garmin? Anyone? Could be a real game-changer!
jonarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 00:30   #11

Well I have ended up purchasing a D400. Now the fun begins working out where to put it ( without being rude). Has anyone fitted a wind generator to a Lipari and if where did you fit it and how? I think I have seen one on a Helia but can remember what the mounting looks like. Anyone with photos the can share? My biggest concern is keeping it far enough from the back of the boom so I don't go catching loose reeling lines.

Old 18-12-2014, 18:03   #12

Finally getting around to fitting the D400. Needed something to mount it on along with some more solar. Here is our new Targa fitted ready for the fittingClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1418954570.921622.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	93914Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1418954594.115994.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	93915Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1418954612.632721.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	93916

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 19-12-2014, 18:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
Finally getting around to fitting the D400. Needed something to mount it on along with some more solar. Here is our new Targa fitted ready for the fittingAttachment 93914Attachment 93915Attachment 93916

Looks great! You might as well put on two. Seriously. Put one on each side.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-12-2014, 23:32   #14

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
Finally getting around to fitting the D400. Needed something to mount it on along with some more solar. Here is our new Targa fitted ready for the fittingAttachment 93914Attachment 93915Attachment 93916

That's quite a structure you have constructed!!

TwT
Old 20-12-2014, 01:41   #15

Yes quite a setup. Just finished mounting 2 x 260 watt solar panels as well as a solar hot water system. D400 wind gen goes up tomorrow. This will give us just under 1000 watts solar plus the d400 plus solar hot water. We are power pigs but this should make us power independent.

It's now almost a veranda. Very Queensland

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator