Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2016, 14:32   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Belize 43 Maestro
Why is there a hose connecting Freezer to Fridge?

In our config, it appears someone at new construction or a PO added a 1/2 plastic tube (whale hose) between the bottom of the freezer and the refrigerator. The tube is on the adjoining sides of the freeze/refrig, about 1" from the bottom and 2" from the front. I recently discovered that the hose shifted into the refrigerator and allowed warm air into the bottom of the freezer (and partially thawing 1/4 contents at the bottom of freezer). When cleaning out the mess I found a cork plug that fit the tube on the freezer side. Before I permanently plug both sides:

- What is/was the purpose of the tube connecting freezer-refrigerator?
- Is there a time when the cork plug should be used and not used?

Quizzically,

Pete
peteatbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 15:50   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Why is there a hose connecting Freezer to Fridge?

This might be a really lame response because I don't actually know what I'm talking about here, but I've recently been trying to determine if removing my freezer box will detrimentally affect the cooling capabilities of my Adler Barbour fridge. I found the manual, and while I still don't have a good answer, I noticed that it discusses a tube with freon (?) that runs to the freezer and needs to be plugged if not in use. Anyhoo, if you don't have the manual, you might find it on the 'net and then see if perhaps this is a freon tube that is just not routed correctly. I think it's called the refrigerant tube.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 16:18   #3

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

I guess the tube is for draining water from the freezer when de-icing it. There might be a drain plug in the fridge too?

.manitu
Old 03-03-2016, 16:26   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu View Post
I guess the tube is for draining water from the freezer when de-icing it. There might be a drain plug in the fridge too?

.manitu

That is what I'm think too, mine was an ice box conversion, of course an ice box has a drain. I love it because at defrost time I just run a garden hose in there, melt the ice and all the water flow out to the shower sump to be pumped overboard. Also makes cleaning easy, lotsa soapy water, wash it real good and rinse it all down the drain.

In short if it is a drain, it may well be a good thing to have, or at least I think it is.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 19:23   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

drain?
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 20:06   #6

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

NOT a definitive answer, but.....

We have essentially the same thing excepting ours is located/connected at the bottom of the freezer to the bottom of the fridge. Simple, straight, short connection; there is no drain to the bilge. Both units are "top load" style compartments.

My thoughts: Warm air rises, cold air falls. So, since the fridge is opened more frequently, allowing warmer air to enter the fridge (induced by airwaves due to the opening action of the hatch) then a bit of the freezer's cold air subsequently drifts into the fridge. Helping keep the beer cold. Over the course of (say) a day, the freezer's cold plates should be able to handle the situation. Later on, fire up the electronics/compressor and restore normality. {Ref: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy } We also keep several 3-litre plastic bottles 7/8th full of water layered across the bottom of the freezer as cold sinks specifically to assist those cold plates.

On the other hand....... That tube seems be a collection point for debris that entails extra effort when cleaning/defrosting the freezer/fridge boxes. I've got a special piece of flexible wire for that job.

All in all? Somebody had a "good idea" and I've no f'ing clue what their intentions were. Go figure. Will monitor this thread in the hopes Gordo or his ilk will provide a definitive answer.

James
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 22:34   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Sounds like someone's bright (?) aftermarket idea.

There is no such connection between the fridge and freezer on our Belize Maestro and as far as I can tell from looking at other Belizes, we have a standard installation.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:48   #8

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Doing marine refrigeration for many year's, there is no reason to have the fridge and freezer connected at the bottom, if a spillover system, i.e., freezer spilling over to the fridge, the connection would be one hole low and one hole high on the wall separating the two.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:42   #9

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Sounds like someone's bright (?) aftermarket idea.

There is no such connection between the fridge and freezer on our Belize Maestro and as far as I can tell from looking at other Belizes, we have a standard installation.

Mine is the same as Stu....
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer