Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2012, 12:35   #16

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Re: Water Accumulator Rusting

Thanks for the tip Oranman

These guys say they will ship to Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranaman View Post
hi guys,

I thought mine was the only one!

Daniel, My boat and I are in Greece. If you look closely at one picture the specification of the acculmulator is listed it's 8 litres. The shurflo accumulators are much smaller at around 2 litres - i presume the smaller the capacity of water the more the pump runs? My boat is only 4.5 years old so its pretty poor quality to fail so soon. The non- stainless are available here in Greece for 55 Eurs - compared with 20 Eurs in the UK. This is one possible 8 litre SS replacement a Varem CW288.

CW288 ACCUMULATOR TANK 8 LITRES - Mack Engineering
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 14:29   #17

Can anyone tell me if the 3/4 BSP fits straight in or do you need an adaptor?
They are quoting 85.41 pound sterling delivered to Oz.
Old 29-11-2012, 08:07   #18

Boat: Orana 44

Dragon Lady - My rusted accumulator - the one in the photos has a 1" male BSP thread which fits via an adaptor a 1/2" BSP female. The mack engineering type in the link appears to have a 3/4"BSP male thread ("external thread"). These adaptors are sold in OZ as most of the plumbing is BSP. Is your accumulator exactly the same as mine - see photos? If so the flange containing the "rubber pressure vessel" is removable and it will be cheaper (buy & ship) to Oz. I am back in the UK next week and I will be trying to source just the removable pressure vessel to fit my tank. If you can wait I will let you know the outcome.
Old 29-11-2012, 08:39   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtM View Post
As a result of this thread and my slightly rusty water I am about to replace the accumulator.

do I understand it correstly that it is probably best ot replace the accumulator with one of similar size?

i am also looking at the variable speed pump idea but they are quite expensive.

Any thoughts?

thanks

daniel
The bigger the better, keeps you pump from cycling so often. Those red tanks seem to be defective. The ones used in homes are not Stainless and last about 20 years. It is fresh water......

I've heard good reports on this forum regarding the variable pumps.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 08:49   #20

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Hi folks, If I may poss help a little, I have a Par max pump controlled by a Whale adjustable pressure switch with a plastic expansion tank you could get from a scrapyard off a car. An accumulator as someone has said already, is old technology. My systems been fitted since 1985 on my 10 metre motor cruiser with no trouble so far.(fingers crossed) Whale Pumps factory is based in Bangor, N,Ireland and while they don't supply direct if you need one I can give you the name of a friendly.efficient and keen priced ships chandlers who will happily post anywhere in the world. Parts in France are expensive, the best shipyard/chandlery in Languedoc Roussillon region in France is Henri Allerman at Grau du Agde. If you need more info just ask and I'll help if I can.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 12:20   #21

Thanks Oranaman,

Yes I can wait, I think mine is the same and it certainly is rusty.
I didn't want to go messing around with it until I had the parts and with Xmas just around the corner I didn't want any issues with the potable water system.
Accumulators may be old technology but they work, and it is cheaper and easier to replace the accumulator than replace the pumps etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranaman View Post
Dragon Lady - My rusted accumulator - the one in the photos has a 1" male BSP thread which fits via an adaptor a 1/2" BSP female. The mack engineering type in the link appears to have a 3/4"BSP male thread ("external thread"). These adaptors are sold in OZ as most of the plumbing is BSP. Is your accumulator exactly the same as mine - see photos? If so the flange containing the "rubber pressure vessel" is removable and it will be cheaper (buy & ship) to Oz. I am back in the UK next week and I will be trying to source just the removable pressure vessel to fit my tank. If you can wait I will let you know the outcome.
Old 29-11-2012, 13:55   #22
DtM

I am investigating a Davey accumulator which is about $100 AUD.

Dragon, I will let you know if it works. the potential supplier is in Brookvale so easy for you.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 15:01   #23

Boat: Beneteau 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall
There are water pumps available now that you can use without an accumulator. Instead, they vary the speed of the pump. This can result in less power being used, and quieter operation. The Jabsco Sensor max is one such pump, I think there are others.

Chris
+1 ...
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 16:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtM

Dragon, I will let you know if it works. the potential supplier is in Brookvale so easy for you.
OK thanks Davey pumps have a good reputation, just wonder how corrosion resistant they are?
Old 29-11-2012, 17:09   #25

Boat: Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKB53 View Post
Hi Daniel
The Mahe does (did) not have an accumulator fitted as standard. I found I was going through the contacts on the pressure switch in no time when on extended cruising. I fitted a (2l) plastic accumulator which has cut the switching on the pump dramatically and I have had no issues since.

I don't know how the variable speed pumps work but unless they have a more sophisticated switching system they may not be the answer.
Solid state switching.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:24   #26

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43

I just discovered that there was a pinhole leak in the flange og my tank when winterizing the boat. As a means to repair I have used steel epoxy on the whole flange, which should give me many years of use. It's been in use since 2001, so not too bad. The tank itself is fine, but I found that the 2 bar pressure has been leaking to atmospheric pressure, which mean that the tank is not providing the smooth flow it's supposed to.

I friend replaced his Shurflo pressure switch pump with a VSD pump, this caused him so much grief that he went back to old technology!

SS or plastic would be the way to go, but I'm replacing the sail warderobe so money is flying!

Happy lead free sailin
Lucky
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 00:27   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtM

Any news DTM?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25   #28
DtM

Going to boat today.

Should be fitted.

Will let you know.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I second the recommendation to replace the accumulator tank system with a variable speed pump. The new systems are far more quiet than the old, and there are less components to fail. In my mind, accumulator tanks are an outdated technology.
Not sold on the variable speed pumps Bash.
Around 2005, replaced 3 in 3 years “Jabsco Sensor Max”, each time it was the failure of the pressure sensor. (it would not shut off)
I found out the failed part could not be simply replaced, but that it involved buying a new motor.

Perhaps it was because they were fairly new at the time and had problems with 24v controllers, but I gave up and switched back to simple pressure switch and plastic accumulator. Never had a problem since
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02   #30

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

yes you should never use the red expansion vessels on cold water supplies these type are designed for central heating boiler systems the white one that oranaman quotedin the link is the correct type the smallest you can get is a 2 ltr one if you want any more info i am happy to help i install these for a living and can probably get them a litttle bit cheaper

Keston Boiler Repairs & Servicing London, Middlesex, Berkshire, Essex is my website
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water